·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Relax with the CO2 ... Global Warming mannnn..... LOL LOL :M5launch:

·
Registered
526 Posts
My 2001 car has no cats.
In South Africa, they are not mandatory.

If you watched "An Inconvenient Truth" you will see Africa is not causing global warming - LOL !

I bought my car already decated. Not sure what they did, but it throws no SES error messages.

Must say, I like the way it makes the car run. Exhausts are noticeably louder at WOT, but with cruising they are completely silent.

I researched this topic on the Board previously. One member did extensive dyno comparisons, and was adamant it released a number of horses (Cant remember exact no: 10 -15 hp IIRC)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well, if anything no cats should help global warming, since it would increase the production of CO at the expense of CO2. So maybe we should all petition the government to scrap catalytic convertors in the name of preventing global warming.

I am not sure if oxides of nitrogen is a greenhouse gas, though.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
There are numerous way to get more power out of the S62 or exhaust out of the tailpipes. High flow cats, mettalic cats etc. Removing the cats is not a good option and shouldnt be done.

Ryan

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are numerous way to get more power out of the S62 or exhaust out of the tailpipes. High flow cats, mettalic cats etc. Removing the cats is a good option and shouldnt be done

Ryan
removing the cats is a good option and shouldn't be done????.. i just wanted to know if i was going to throw codes or anything like that..

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Get Some Headers For some REAl power and some race cats for some real power and call it a day

My car sounds great and with full throttle WOW its loud but not in my cabin lol just for the guy in my rear view mirror :M5launch:

Race cats really are great besides the SES light

Im pretty sure you will have a SES if you have no cats heres a pic of stock vs SS cats see for your self

Attachments

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
New I think they are around 2800-3000 US but i bought them used about 12-14 k miles from a fellow board member

Look around its worth it I got my Dinan Headers used also FYI alot of other members were very discouraging

There was one responce - there are two chances on finding them Slim and NON

HA HA HA HA who got the last laugh oh SES light ooops lol lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well for me to take out the cats i am hoping will only cost me about 20-30 dollars..i would love to see a dyno with no cats and with race cats just to see how much hp your gettting for that money..i am pretty sure i won't loose power so i think its a much better bang for the buck.. thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
m5ho:

Try Bassani Racing Cats

http://www.bassani.com/

100 cel. I'm running them. With PC S/W no SES light. Passes NYS inspection

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone on here catless? i want to hear it.. someone has to have it..please..

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
20 -30 US dollars to remove the cats and what scotch tape the thing together ????

Dont tell me that you wanna rig up your car that way might as well buy an OBX muffler for the Beast LOL

Mienake can put some "high" quality piping in cherrsagaiouich but really good stainless steel clean welds gonna cost a few more bucks

maybe 300- 600 Dollars ex SS xpipe good metal

·
Registered
26 Posts
I will be running gutted cats soon. I just bought a set of secondhand cats off ebay and I intend gutting them and fitting them. They will be flanged so i can swap them for MOT.

I will have no SES light as my remap removes the rear lambda's.

You can buy spacers so the rear lambda's are out of the exhaust flow which will stop you getting the SES light on.

HTH

Paul

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
20 -30 US dollars to remove the cats and what scotch tape the thing together ????

Dont tell me that you wanna rig up your car that way might as well buy an OBX muffler for the Beast LOL

Mienake can put some "high" quality piping in cherrsagaiouich but really good stainless steel clean welds gonna cost a few more bucks

maybe 300- 600 Dollars ex SS xpipe good metal
no i will take the exhaust out cut out the cats then buy some piping about 4 feet just to be safe which i would think is about 20 to 30 dollars and then weld it up and put it back in.. some of us on here do work on our own cars..

·
13,589 Posts
anyone on here catless? i want to hear it.. someone has to have it..please..
Cats wont really change the sound much. Deleting the resonnator/mufflers is where most of the sound will come from. As for codes, yes, you will throw them and may even kick into limp home mode.

Race cats are not for power gains, they may give 2-3hp max. The reason for using them is to get max exhaust flow w/o throwing check engine lights. If you want to, you can get a set of race cats for $2-300...no need to spend a fortune on them.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
"free up the exhaust" is a meaningless term.

Unless you are carefully going through intake and exhaust, and optimizing flow at each point, simply removing the cats will buy nothing. Change your muffler for sound, change the headers for more flow (and HP).

Deleting the cats, in and of itself is a 'low brow mod', IMHO.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts