BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I noticed there was a small leak in my rear tail lights on my '00 m5 (aftermarket facelifts) and I think the water fried that dsp amp.

While listening to cd's the audio would cut off, then turn back on and cut off. Then it got worse and worse until no sound came out at all. The radio is working and the cd changer is working but no sound. When the audio shut off for good and nothing would come out of the speakers, the "DSP" on the nav screen disappeared.

Im assuming the amp is dead? Where can I get another one/how hard to replace? Will an aftermarket amp work?

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
A few weeks ago I noticed there was a small leak in my rear tail lights on my '00 m5 (aftermarket facelifts) and I think the water fried that dsp amp.

While listening to cd's the audio would cut off, then turn back on and cut off. Then it got worse and worse until no sound came out at all. The radio is working and the cd changer is working but no sound. When the audio shut off for good and nothing would come out of the speakers, the "DSP" on the nav screen disappeared.

Im assuming the amp is dead? Where can I get another one/how hard to replace? Will an aftermarket amp work?

Thanks

Alex
I would check your radio fuse to make sure it is still good. Other than that, it does sound like DSP amp is failing and will be needing a replacement soon. My radio will cut out and not work at all because it kept blowing the fuse until I figured out the issue with my media bridge set up. I fixed that and audio works fine since the repair. Previous owner had to put in 20 amp fuse to handle the issue instead of factory 10 amp.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would check your radio fuse to make sure it is still good. Other than that, it does sound like DSP amp is failing and will be needing a replacement soon. My radio will cut out and not work at all because it kept blowing the fuse until I figured out the issue with my media bridge set up. I fixed that and audio works fine since the repair. Previous owner had to put in 20 amp fuse to handle the issue instead of factory 10 amp.
Where is the radio fuse?

I checked all the fuses in the glove box and the one on the cd changer. They were all good.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Where is the radio fuse?

I checked all the fuses in the glove box and the one on the cd changer. They were all good.
It is fuse #58 in the trunk.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Do try and remove the big power/speaker (black) connection on top of the amplifier as well, spray some electric cleaner in there and put it all back, see if anything improves. It should be kinda hard for water to enter the amplifier so do some checks first.

This sounds kinda similar to my problem before i re soldered my Radio module: Audio loss CD/Radio when going over bumps (sometimes) and a lot of random shutdowns. Funny thing is that it "worked" for 1-3 weeks by cleaning the amplifier contact so i figured that i had some amplifier issues as well - i was aware that the radio module is known to fail..
When i had the time i removed all the modules mounted in there and did the re-soldering on the radio, after that i haven't had any issues at all.

And yes, check the fuse first :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'd be willing to bet just about anything it's the radio unit and not the DSP amp. I had this happen to my old 540 and replaced the amp first and it did nothing. Replaced the radio and voila sound was back :) A good way to test is to pull the top plug off of the radio and see if there's any corrosion. The radio is the little silver box that sits directly below your tail light.

If you find it needs to be replaced PM member "Clemster" on here, I'm sure he can hook you up with one.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Chances are that the DSP amp is not the issue but the radio module itself. Check the 7.5 amp fuse (hopefully) and the harness, both radio and vehicle side, connections for evidence of water intrusion. Also, replace the taillight gaskets as this is the most likely source of water ingress.

Fuse locations
C43 radio module
2012-07-14_15-17-38_201.jpg

BM53/4 radio module
2012-07-14_15-22-33_257.jpg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
took everything out and checked the fuse on the back of the radio. Fuse was good and after reconnecting everything, still no sound and the nav wont open either :/

Im assuming the problem is the amplifier. Is there any way to test it?

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
When you say "the Nav won't open either" are you referring to their Head Unit to access the cassette deck, or the navigation computer not ejecting the map disk?

If it other issue is the head unit all of the issues likely reside there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts