BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
robert,

i made a post to abdulla just a few weeks ago about these tires...

Im assuming that you are looking at the 555's...while they are decent tires, Nitto is the smaller brother company to Toyo.

They are ok, about on par with Kumho but I do not think that you would be very happy with them.

If you need tires that badly, i would look into the yokohamma line

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Last I looked, Nitto offered very limited selection of "big" tire sizes. They offer a couple tires that are VERY good....the NT555RII-E comes to mind. These grip about 98% as good as Toyo, Sumo, Kumho & Yoko's race tires but they easily last 3x as long. Actually the slightly harder compound is well-suited for a 2 Ton sedan....perhaps not for a 2700 lb car.

With 7/32 shaved tread, the NT555RIIE "wears" like iron, yet they "go" like most race tires....a #1 pick for Driver's Ed & Open Track Event use. Last I checked, they only came in one size (275/45-17). Vette drivers with 17's love them for dual duty track & street.

Nitto sells lots of drag radials too. You don't want those for a 2 ton saloon if you want to go around corners. Some folks say the drag radials are OK for corners fitted on ponycars, but their sidewalls are probably too soft for a heavy E39 sedan.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Sorry to dredge up an old post (Hey but at least it shows that I "search" :p )

Not to dispute more educated opinions (than mine) posted but if Nitto tires are sub standard (for lack of a better term) than say a Michelin PS/PS2/PSC or a B-Stone S-03 etc etc...

Then why does Renntech; even with it's 685 HP/870 lbs-ft stage 2 SL65 AMG, run and promote Nitto?

Is this a marketing ploy for both Renntech and Nitto?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts