BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how would the beast react to some funny gas? does any one make a NOS kit for the beast? instead of super charging the beast why not give it a shot of NOS. get all the power when you need it and for dirt cheap. just be careful when using it or you will blow your engine.

emperor
:M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
The blue one that Discovery did (SCKellners...) has both NOS and SC.

Helps with that extra burst you need to pass F14s

A

·
10,456 Posts
ard said:

A
Actually, the nitrous was used to cool the intercooler, not injected into the engine.
THere's a pic of the 'charger cooler' with frost on it from the nitrous on discovery's site.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Well, duh.

I didn't catch that (obviously). From the description of the nos as "juice" I'd assumed wrong...

A

·
Registered
69 Posts
You drive a luxerious, beautiful BMW with plenty of power even in the OEM form. If you need a couple more horsepower to satisfy your modding needs do something like intake, ssk, exhaust, headers, chip etc etc not NOS. If you drove a civic i'd tell you to do otherwise. Having 50-100 HP on tap isn't worth a $20,000 engine replacement. Just my $.02

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
EMPEROR said:
how would the beast react to some funny gas? does any one make a NOS kit for the beast? instead of super charging the beast why not give it a shot of NOS. get all the power when you need it and for dirt cheap. just be careful when using it or you will blow your engine.

emperor
:M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

Hey E,

Wheelsboutique Did a kit a few years back.

150 Shot. Direct into the eight individual Velocity stacks. Sanp on connectors. Very nice setup. Easy to return to stock.

Looked very cool. But he sold the vehicle shortly afterwards. Said it was unrelated to the NOS.

They said they previously had done a 540 which they were spraying for a few years.

Also Chunky had NOS done on his 540. He now has a beast.

Problem is, it is not cheap in the long run. Sure its cheap to setup. But at $70 per bottle to refil all the time, itss like you have to full the car up twice per week.

Don't fool youreslf into believing you will only spray occassionally.

That only happens if occassionally means everytime you drive the car. :hihi:

It is addictive. Then you have to fight the urge to go up a nossel. 100 then 125, then 150 then why not 200 as it handles the other so well. Then all of a sudden Ka BOOM, or Crunch, there goes the gearbox. Then it gets ugly.

cherrsagai

·
Registered
837 Posts
ard said:

A
Robs car has nos but I believe its used exclusively for cooling, I am sure he can explain more, Josh

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
bmwusa said:
Robs car has nos but I believe its used exclusively for cooling, I am sure he can explain more, Josh
Yeah, I heard...

Why does he use Nitrous for cooling? WOuldn't any compressed gas do almost the same thing? Compressed CO2 is dirt cheap (I used that and inert gas for welding) and they both cool when released to atmospheric pressure. Is the nitrous only used on the exterior of the intercooler? If so I'd say any gas will cool....

·
Registered
157 Posts
ard said:
Yeah, I heard...

Why does he use Nitrous for cooling? WOuldn't any compressed gas do almost the same thing? Compressed CO2 is dirt cheap (I used that and inert gas for welding) and they both cool when released to atmospheric pressure. Is the nitrous only used on the exterior of the intercooler? If so I'd say any gas will cool....
CO2 works to chill the I/C as well, but if ingested into the intake tract, you WILL lose power. Ingest N20 into the intake tract and you have a little "dry shot" bonus.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Nitrous can be done but I don't recommend big shots of it. I would stay in the 50-60 h.p. range at most. It is safe if the system is designed properly. A dry kit like the Zex system where no gasoline is injected in the plenum makes most sense. A dry kit with fuel enrichment done via vacuum input to the stock fuel system is reasonable. A low power system doesn't require special ignition retarding computer or logic. Care and understanding are important here, but nitrous is perfectly suited to the M5 if kept within limits. It is one of the best performance mods. for an M5 and is hard to detect.
Higher octane gas blended with normal premium fuel is also needed. I think Unocal 100 in a 50% mix would be ideal.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
this has been done do a search.

remember a supercharger adds power all the time, the N.O.S. systems not NOS (fast and redickulus) adds power only when you hit the button.

·
Registered
439 Posts
theres a couple of 540's on roadfly that have 100 shots i think or was it 75? one with a blower and one with a just that and an intake.

ray

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You do not want to run a 100 shot of nitrous unless you have a complex system. The problem is that you have to retard the timing more than I believe the factory computer is designed to do. I think Zex makes a system that can be used on the M5, the problem is it has only 1 injector and placement is important. You should not use a wet system that injects fuel in the plenum. That is how you get intake explosions. The Nitrous Express wet kit should not be used on an M5 because of this. I would use a 55 shot max.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts