BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
13,589 Posts
Nitrous oxide is an oxygen accelerator....not typically used for cooling in NA powered cars. Turbo/SC cars, its sometimes sprayed onto the intercooler to aid cooling, but they usually use methanol injection instead. I dont think that they have their facts straight, as I have a hard time believing they'd allow the use of nitrous in cars that crash regularly (not to mention the fact that its impossible to police)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
NO2 also is used to cool the combustion chambers and lower intake and cylinder head temperatures allowing for higher compression/timing/boost
used for both NA and F/I engines

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
NO2 also is used to cool the combustion chambers and lower intake and cylinder head temperatures allowing for higher compression/timing/boost
NO2 is nitrous dioxide, though.

·
13,589 Posts

cooling is only an ancillary effect....its the oxygen acceleration that makes the power. its also impossible to police, and extremely dangerous to carry on a racecar

·
Registered
936 Posts
It cannot be legal surely?

How would they possibly prevent the Nitrous mixing with Oxygen?

I thought that F1 cars were supposed to use the same fuel as is sold to the public (well, 99% the same)?

Richie.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
cooling is only an ancillary effect....its the oxygen acceleration that makes the power. its also impossible to police, and extremely dangerous to carry on a racecar
thats what I was thinking, they might only be using nitrous for cooling purposes only

·
Registered
924 Posts
They don't have intercoolers since all F1 Engines are 2.4 Litre naturally aspirated engines .

The do use compressed air for the pnuematic valves. These engines can rev to over 20,000 RPM (although limited by FIA to 19K RPM) and normal valve springs could never handle that so they use Pnuematic valves. Could be they are using Nitrous instead of compressed air or CO2 to power the pnuematics? Doubt it.

Nitrous would never be used for engine cooling (too heavy and expensive). Cooling occurs as the car is driven through the air (no fans).

I think that site has their facts wrong.

The Sauber-BMW site has no mention if Nitrous... http://www.bmw-sauber-f1.com/en/#/car/factsheet/

·
Registered
924 Posts
Except in F1 since they do not have intercoolers... :hihihi:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Cool...

Hey, nice car :byee55amg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts