BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my Behr radiator on my e39 M5 with a Nissen today and everything is pretty exact. Only issue I am having is the o rings that came with the Nissen. I put them on and the radiator hoses will not go on far enough to push the clip on. The old one did not use o rings and it feels the same as the new when the hoses are attached. I dont want to waste coolant to find out they leak, is pressure going to prevent them from leaking thus pushing the hoses back and sealing the gap if there is any? Other option is to find a o ring skinnier in size but same diameter. Any one run up on this problem?

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
The old one did not use o rings and it feels the same as the new when the hoses are attached.
The old connections must have used o-rings. It's the only way you could get a slide on fit like that to seal. Any chance the old o-rings are still in there?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard plastic inside the hoses. I was picking at it, no rubber of any sort inside. Not unless the o ring slides between the grooves on the radiator. I really cant say without a visual though.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
So the o-rings go on the radiator inlet and outlet nozzles? And when you install them you can't get the hose end over them? Have you tried lubing with coolant?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried lube on the o ring already. Inside the rad hoses is a hard plastic groove piece. If that were removed, that o ring would fit, or a thinner o ring would probably solve the problem. I will check it out tomorrow to find the issue hopefully.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the old o ring rubber type material? I only see hard plastic on the inside. Looks built it, I picked at it earlier, would not budge. It makes sense though, the position of the old hard type material needs to be removed so the rubber o ring can fit in is place.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That pic is very helpful. I really do look like a dumbazz now. I will make sure to check it tomorrow. Thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts