0-60 - 3.3 seconds
1/4 mile - 11.5 sec @ 124
Top speed - 191 (redline limited)
Skidpad - 0.99g
70-0 Braking - 145 ft

Rated power (SAE net) 480 bhp @ 6400 rpm *
Rated torque (SAE net) 430 lb-ft @ 7000 rpm

Curb weight - 3908 lbs

* Unconfirmed reports out of Japan say production GT-Rs are cremating dynos with 480 horsepower at the wheels, which means the twin-turbo, twin-intercooler, twin-intake 3.8 liter V-6 is churning out well over 500 fillies.

·
Registered
435 Posts
That car is ultimate - just bought one yesterday, and its a hoot to drive!!

(In Gran Turismo 5 Prologue for PS3.. ;))

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That car is ultimate - just bought one yesterday, and its a hoot to drive!!

(In Gran Turismo 5 Prologue for PS3.. ;))
When you have the chance, run your GT-R on the PS3's chassis dyno and report back h.p. at the virtual wheels.

·
Registered
831 Posts
There has also been an article recently about tuners already pumping the hp up apparently without difficulty or problems...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There has also been an article recently about tuners already pumping the hp up apparently without difficulty or problems...
At least for U.S. models, the code is locked & encrypted against hacking, and any attempts to alter, flags the attempt and voids the entire vehicle's warranty. Carlos Ghosn, Nissan's CEO, was boasting how hardened the black box is against hacking. Of course nothing is impervious to modification, Nissan is raising the stakes.

Nonetheless, the vehicle's performance doesn't reconcile with it's weight and stated h.p.; the engine has to be producing significantly more power than advertised. In the late 1960s, the L89 Corvette engine was rated at 425 SAE Gross h.p., while it actually produced ~550 h.p.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
I thought those numbers to be the HP figures in DIN, not SAE.

SAE ofcourse is always a little more optimistic.

Love the car though, I wonder what Jap tuner will be the first to come up with a monster out of that.

Surely, they can't get the exterior any better than that

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought those numbers to be the HP figures in DIN, not SAE.

SAE ofcourse is always a little more optimistic.
C&D's numbers are SAE net and they add "... buyers will be getting way more than 480 horsepower for their dollars. The GT-R must have more to be haul-assing its 3908 pounds to 60 mph in 3.3 seconds. Unconfirmed reports out of Japan say production GT-Rs are cremating dynos with 480 horsepower at the wheels, which means the twin-turbo, twin-intercooler, twin-intake 3.8 liter V-6 is churning out well over 500 fillies."

·
Registered
435 Posts
When you have the chance, run your GT-R on the PS3's chassis dyno and report back h.p. at the virtual wheels.

Actually I just moved HP up, and weight down in Tuner mode, with the flick of a button - very convenient and easy to tune! :haha:

Oh well, back to topic

·
Registered
22 Posts
Based on these outstanding performance numbers does anyone think there will be a tanking or at least a softening in the market for used high end cars like a GT3?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually I just moved HP up, and weight down in Tuner mode, with the flick of a button - very convenient and easy to tune! :haha:
At what power level was the car able to run 0-60 - 3.3 seconds & 1/4 mile - 11.5 sec @ 124?

When you altered the CPU values did Carlos Ghosn appear on the screen to chide you for changing the power output? ;)

I suspect the black box is hack-resistant because the engine is tuned up near the self-destruct limit.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In seeking to uphold all that is Godzilla

Based on these outstanding performance numbers does anyone think there will be a tanking or at least a softening in the market for used high end cars like a GT3?
Being a light-weight track car, the GT3 & GT-R aren't direct competitors, different story for high-speed GTs like the M5.

Quoting C&D again, "60 mph is barbecued in 3.3 seconds, the quarter-mile in 11.5 seconds at 124 mph. Braking from 70 mph takes 145 feet, and the skidpad runs 0.99 g. Those are Olympic-qualifying stats. Indeed, with those results, the GT-R would have nuked our last $123,760 Porsche 911 Turbo and felled our last $404,410 Lamborghini LP640 roadster."

"It's still big, heavy, complex, and expensive, but it's also a holy spitfire at the dragstrip and a joy to drive in every way that a big, heavy, and complex car has no right to be unless it's way more expensive than the GT-R's advertised base price of $70,475."

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
996 GT3 seems to have held resale value fairly well.

997 GT3 should be expected to similarly hold value well, if current demand is any indication.

·
Registered
22 Posts
996 GT3 seems to have held resale value fairly well.

997 GT3 should be expected to similarly hold value well, if current demand is any indication.
Yes but then again this new Nissan hasn't been available yet either. As far as different buyers as was stated earlier I can see that. But when a car that costs considerably less than what you have starts walking you all over then I believe there may be some buyers changing their mind.

Why would anyone buy a used GT3 for more $$ than a new GT-R? I say this from the perspective of not having money to burn.

If I had an expensive car like a GT3 or a ZR1 or a Viper or even an F-car I would be worried that this would impact my cars value down the road.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I can say that I personally have no worries about the value of my car, I don't think the GT-R will have any impact of significance on it.

A person might still choose to purchase a GT3 since it is a purpose designed track biased car, and rear wheel drive cars handle differently than awd cars (for better or for worse). Also, the challenge and experience of driving a rear engine car fast may be desirable to some. To others, the fastest car possible will be the most desirable. To some, the best financial value will be most desirable. To some, aesthetics play a role also.

That's why we all drive and enjoy different vehicles.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to see the GT-R being developed and built, and the price point is wonderful also. I definitely consider value as it relates to performance in my vehicle selection.

Weight is always an issue. The GT-R is not a light car. The GT3 is rear engined. All cars have pluses and minuses.

Some people like more electronics (traction control, awd, stability, etc.) in their car, some like less.

There are subjective factors, such as looks, heritage, history, social stigma, residual value, etc.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Since you raise the question of money to burn, a used GT3 or used 996 TT is likely at this point to hold value better than a brand new GT-R. That's why you likely see a lot of bankers and financial advisors driving 1-3 year old Porsche Carreras around.

Time will tell on the value of the GT-R.

If I personally was looking at a brand new 911 Twin Turbo, I would be more likely to buy the GT-R myself, so it's not like I don't appreciate the car.

But I think it's a different target demographic than a GT3.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Chis Harris points out the important differences between the M3, 997 GT3 and GT-R - I like his conclusion, yes GT-R is faster, but less communicative - Like a playstation, therefore GT3 is as good as the GT-R in his opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjwJl4t-DF8
And there's the rub. He is saying that the GT3 is as good as the GT-R. The GT3 is essentially a purpose built track car that cost $106K plus that on the basis of it being more communicative is as good as a $70k plus car.

If I go to the track and get walked consistenly by a car that is roughly 50% cheaper than mine I know that I am going to do some serious looking at the other vehicle once I am in the market again. That is why I posted my original question about pricing.

I am a huge Porsche fan I really am. I just think that Nissan has really set the bar very high in the case of the GT-R. The engineering here is phenomenal. German companies pride themselves on their engineering so I hope they respond with more goodies for all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts