BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So get this. I buy a 2000 M5 w/ 58k from a high-end used car dealer (for $42k). Car is billed as having a certified 100K mile warranty which expires in 07. Car needs Inspection II and has "Service Engine Soon" light on. I inquire about the light and dealer indicates his shop didn't have the tool to reset it when the vehicle was serviced. Car has been meticulously maintained by previous owner (40 pages of maintenance records through the same dealer).

6 days later I take the car to the BMW dealership for Inspection II ($950). Dealer pulls the codes and shows "carbon blockage" in the engine, which will likely require disassembling the block == $1,000's.

Same day I get a call from the extended warranty dealer saying my transfer claim is denied due to the car being sold through a dealership.

So... Anyone have experience with "carbon block" in their M5. Or does anyone have a suggestion on how to approach the situation with the dealer that sold me the car?

FWIW, car is at the dealership, still undergoing diagnostics.

·
Registered
439 Posts
try to return the car with your lawyer !
tell them you'll lock them in state court on fraud!
maybe they'll take it back.print every piece of anything they used to sell the car to you!

·
Registered
124 Posts
They said the same thing to me as well. That the the car needed new heads and it wasn't covered. My car is a 2000 as well. This is what my local dealer said. Having gone to two others dealerships with different service reps, said nothing was wrong with the car. They said its either the DME or the MAFS. I have ordered the MAFS so hopefully this will fix it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I went and talked to the dealership that sold me the car. They were much more understanding than I expected (of course I was expecting; "What warranty?"). They say they were certain the warranty would transfer, and since it doesn't, they will be getting me a comparable warranty through their parent dealer. Which is good news. Meeting the GM this afternoon.

Still no word from BMW on the latest test on the car. They seem very uncertain about the carbon blockage issue, but we'll see.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
silver00 said:
They were much more understanding than I expected (of course I was expecting; "What warranty?"). They say they were certain the warranty would transfer, and since it doesn't, they will be getting me a comparable warranty through their parent dealer.
That's very encouraging news. Here's hoping that the end solution is as promising as their early responses indicate.

I'm intrigued about the non-transferrability of an aftermarket extended warranty if sold thru a dealer. Tell you what, after you get this issue put to bed, please provide us some insight into the details of what they said and what products you were using. (No rush on this; get your Beast fixed first).

As the owner of a high-mileage beast with a 'transferrable' warranty, I want to be informed about the ramifications when it comes time to sell.

Good luck! And thanks for keeping us posted.
-Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BMW dealer got back to me today. They think that one of the exhaust valves isn't seating and that's what's causing the carbon build-up in the heads. They want to tear down the engine to diagnose/repair. It's not going to be covered by BMWNA (surprise), and looks to be a $10K+ repair. These components are covered by the short term warranty that the car was purchased under by the original non-BMW dealer, but at this point I think I may ask that dealer if they want the car back. More to come...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer finshed the new warranty paper work but if their techs come to the same conclusion on the repair work needed for the car, then I think they're going to buy back the vehicle. :sad3:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Sorry to hear about this!

For what it's worth now, Service Engine Soon doesn't come on for normal maintenance, only the interval lights indicate that. SES is always a fault somewhere.

Carbon blockage doesn't sound like something I'd expect to get a SES light on, but I don't know how good the sensors are. Have you been able to get a second opinion on the car from another mechanic?

Anyone else know more about what the diagnostic system is capable of detecting?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
wow...and I thought I was having problemsouich

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've seen the heads off in my car this week. Its got low mileage (half of them are highway miles) and I've always used the best gas, as well as a complete fuel system cleaner prior to each oil change. I'm really surprised at how much carbon has built up on the heads and pistons. I'm leaning towards the 10w-60 oil we use as the culprit - perhaps the S62 is prone to that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts