BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not driven the car (6/00) that much at night, but I have a few observations. The headlights, while providing very white light left and right, do not project far enough down the road. In fact, I would say that for a car with this kind of potential, the lights are very poor for anything but speed limit driving. Even at the speed limit(you remember what that is don't you?!), if there are a lot of curves, you will have a difficult time following them with this setup.

These are my observations and I would like to know if I am the only one with this complaint? Perhaps I need to look into the possibility of replacing the foglights with a set of driving lights for projection down the road.

Let me hear from the M5 guys,

Mark

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by MAH:
I have not driven the car (6/00) that much at night, but I have a few observations. The headlights, while providing very white light left and right, do not project far enough down the road. In fact, I would say that for a car with this kind of potential, the lights are very poor for anything but speed limit driving. Even at the speed limit(you remember what that is don't you?!), if there are a lot of curves, you will have a difficult time following them with this setup.

These are my observations and I would like to know if I am the only one with this complaint? Perhaps I need to look into the possibility of replacing the foglights with a set of driving lights for projection down the road.

Mark
Why don't you let your dealer adjust them?

/Johan

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by MAH:

Mark
I agree. I might ask the dealer to adjust mune up a little at my next service.

------------------

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
I forgot to mention that I experienced the same problem with my E46 328i (with Xenon lights) and after the adjustment it was just fine.

With my M5 I have not experienced this problem.

/Johan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Johan,

I know this is a long shot. But, the web has made the world much "smaller". How old are you and do you have a sister in the states?

ST

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by BostonGuy:
Johan,

I know this is a long shot. But, the web has made the world much "smaller". How old are you and do you have a sister in the states?

ST
I am 31 and none of my sisters (I have 3) live in the states. They have all been there though.

Cheers,
/Johan

G

·
0 Posts
ION MY M5 THE LIGHTS ARE CONSTATLY ADJUSTING AND AT HIGH SPEEDS THY DO SEEM TO PRJECT EVEN FURTHER.. I NOTICE THIS CAUSE WHEN YOU SLOW DOWN A FEW SECONDS LATER THEY RE ADJUST.. DOES ANYONE ELSE SEE THIS TOO?

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Guys - the High beams are NOT High-intensity Discharge bulbs. Have to wait for the 2001's for that, I think. So as nice as the HID's are on low, they don't help all that much for down-the-road high beams.

I'd like to know if anyone has adapted the foglight mounts for use with driving lights. This might be tricky since the foglights are angled outward.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
See how your left headlight projects noticeably lower than the right? I took this in for "adjustment" and the tech said it was on purpose! Easier on the eyes of opposing traffic. Neat idea - first time for me.

My headlights seem to be aimed a bit high...I get high-beamed regularly at night...

Alps

·
Registered
238 Posts
My Audi A6 '99 with xenon headlights are uneven - left is lower than right one.
It described in the manual. Though I didn't find anything in M5 manual about lights.

You are right - this unevenness is very considered by Germans.
Unlike those cheap blue-looking "xenon" headlights on all Japaneeze "luxury" sedans.

Or maybe it's just different polarization on windsield glass?

Vas,

08/00 M5 Silverstone/Sport

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, thanks for your feedback. Yes, I know the left headlight is lower than the right and why. My concern still is with the amount of light that is transmitted down the road. It needs to be more focused and further down the road. If I wanted more side to side I would simply turn on the fog lights or the brights if appropriate.

I could readjust the lights further "up", but that may cause too much glare into oncoming drivers. I have had this occur with other Xeion drivers and it is quite distracting.

So, all this to say that the best fix would probably be to replace the fog lights with driving lights. Does anyone have an idea as to what might work? Has anyone attempted it?

Mark

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
MAH - unfortunately the geometry of the reflectors is fixed. The HIDs are LOW BEAMS. Aiming them higher won't help a lot - besides blinding others, they're still focused to be too wide to cast a lot of light at distance. High beams have a narrower angle, focusing more of their light further out (which is why the lows are left on while the highs are on - otherwise you'd have lousy short-range vision, especially to the sides.)

They didn't use HID lights in high beams because they didn't get bright fast enough to work for "flashing your brights" - however in thew newest cars (and I am pretty sure this is true for the 2001 M3/M5) they have solved that problem so that HID technology can be used in both low and high beams. Should be nice!

Until then -

Used to be the standard high beam buld was a quartz-halogen 55W bulb. You could buy a direct replacement 100w bulb, which is a bit brighter. Does anyone know if the M5 can take this? Or is the high beam bulb part of the assembly with the HID bulb?

Alternately, as I also suggested below, how about a conversion to pencil-beams in the foglight bays.....

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
You are missing the point, if your lights are set to low they will project a lights, both low and high beams, that is more narrow than it should be.

This has nothing to do with Xenon lights on high beams or not, I just pointed this out to show the similarity with the M5 lights.

During a drive yoour lights will try to adjust to their preset angle during acceleration and deccelaration in order to always give you the maximum amount of light.
During low beams this means maximum light witouth blinding oposite traffic.

I also want to point out that we (in Scandinavia) have extensive expereience of driving in the dark, check the map and you will realise that we have a very short time of daylight during the winter months.

I found it very strange that you do not learn in traffic school how low beams behave in order to not blind your opposite side traffic!

/Johan

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by greg:
Greg,

Thanks for the info. I have a 2001 on order so I will be interested in seeing if the problem is fixed. I have not heard that the high beam is HID in the 2001. Is this new information?

Thanks,

Mark

MAH - unfortunately the geometry of the reflectors is fixed. The HIDs are LOW BEAMS. Aiming them higher won't help a lot - besides blinding others, they're still focused to be too wide to cast a lot of light at distance. High beams have a narrower angle, focusing more of their light further out (which is why the lows are left on while the highs are on - otherwise you'd have lousy short-range vision, especially to the sides.)

They didn't use HID lights in high beams because they didn't get bright fast enough to work for "flashing your brights" - however in thew newest cars (and I am pretty sure this is true for the 2001 M3/M5) they have solved that problem so that HID technology can be used in both low and high beams. Should be nice!

Until then -

Used to be the standard high beam buld was a quartz-halogen 55W bulb. You could buy a direct replacement 100w bulb, which is a bit brighter. Does anyone know if the M5 can take this? Or is the high beam bulb part of the assembly with the HID bulb?

Alternately, as I also suggested below, how about a conversion to pencil-beams in the foglight bays.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can't image HID high-beams for '01. They require a shutter assembly that hasn't been in any of the pictures.

Maybe the '02 7-series and the '03 5-series.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yes, you have to be VERY careful with the HID's at night, otherwise you'll be blinded! In fact Roman, an Audi owner over on the other M5 site had someone come after him in his car because of his HID lights. Because these lights "auto-level" themselves, people think you are 'flashing' them.

Not a good situation to be in - I would like to see the lights adjust at much lower intensity than the way they are now (any little bump makes them adjust)

-Chris

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The "New 530i" TV ad focusses on the new headlights!

·
Registered
56 Posts
BostonGuy:

I can point you to good places to meet young Swedish women in your area if that is what your question to Johan was for.

Cyril

1 - 20 of 21 Posts