BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that the M5 has the same auto-leveling headlights as the X5...can any owners confirm? I don't know why a car with a resonably firm suspension would need that, but hey it's all about the extras right?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I think in the ECE countries (Europe, basically) HID lights are *required* to be self-leveling by law.

In the US, basically anything goes (witness the two-D-cell-quality headlights in US-market Chrysler minivans.)

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's not EXTRA but safety reason. I am sure many of us have encounter the wrongly aimed headlights, which send the light right into your eyes. Not a pleasent feeling. Imagine a Xenon light send straight into your face....WHAM....2-3 sec blindness.

All Xenon lights are REQUIRED by law to have auto-leveling. One thing that makes me pondering the most is that, retrofit a factory Xenon onto a car designed to have Xenon, but don't have Xenon, is illegal!!??

Andy Kuo

------------------
ICQ# 26950002
Mercedes S-Class Page
http://akry.homestead.com

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm...so any car with Xenon lights (Lincoln, MB, etc) can stop with the front tires of the car on a speed bump, and have the lights self-level as to not blind oncoming cars?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Well, I don't think it would quite work to that degree. I live in a hilly area and it's VERY obvious when giong downhill that the lights don't go up (or down) very much at all. Then again, given that a 5 degree change can result in a MUCH larger change over at the other end of the headlight (e.g. 150 feet away), I can see why not.

--Dan

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yup. When you turn on the xenon healights, they come on, then ZOOM - FLASH!! They adjust themselves. My left one is about an inch or two lower then the right.

·
Registered
40 Posts
RAMSES

By design, ALL...ALL xenon system cars (acura, bmw, MB, linc, lex) are fitted with self-leveling xenon lights. Based on the strength of the HID lights which are about 3x stronger than normal light bulbs are, how would u like to be stuck with all that power in your eyes!!!! Well anyway in response to you wondering why your M5 would need self-lev lights....sorry bud, but u'r M5 isnt any less special than the others. Its not even the M5 that is the issue here...its the company that makes the lights, whom i have no idea who it is (Is it BOSCH?) , that designs the lights like that.
Have u ever seen the lights on an X5 self adjust? Its a beautiful thing!!!!

FUTURE '01 /\/\3 OWNER

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ROBBY,

Yeah, I've seen the X5 lights in action, I went along with my father when he test drove one. I thought the self-adjusting lights...well...self-adjusted more often than his S500, so I assumed it had to do with height of the lights and perhaps just a little more bounce while driving (not much though, that thing handles!)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
My GS400 had them too. Great conversation piece on both cars...my girlfriend flipped out when she noticed it as I crawled over a speed bump in her underground.

Alps

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not all Xenon's are auto levelling. I have a 1999 996 C4 with Litronics (xenons) that are fixed. Honest.

Don

QUOTE]Originally posted by ROBBYD23:
RAMSES

By design, ALL...ALL xenon system cars (acura, bmw, MB, linc, lex) are fitted with self-leveling xenon lights. Based on the strength of the HID lights which are about 3x stronger than normal light bulbs are, how would u like to be stuck with all that power in your eyes!!!! Well anyway in response to you wondering why your M5 would need self-lev lights....sorry bud, but u'r M5 isnt any less special than the others. Its not even the M5 that is the issue here...its the company that makes the lights, whom i have no idea who it is (Is it BOSCH?) , that designs the lights like that.
Have u ever seen the lights on an X5 self adjust? Its a beautiful thing!!!!

FUTURE '01 /\/\3 OWNER
[/QUOTE]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts