BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmmmm. E60 M5 Name Change?

The E39 M5 was dubbed the "Beast." With 100+ more HP, more torque and two extra cylinders--shouldn't we entertain a new nickname for the E60 M5?

Names anybody?

MJ
'06 Week 37-112 Silver Grey/Black

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Re: Hmmmmm. E60 M5 Name Change?

I have noticed that many of the E55 owners on the MBWorld forum have been calling their cars the "beast." Since it appears to be the name that is tied with whichever car in this class with the most HP, we can now call the M5 the "beast" again. Hail to the king!

'Rocket

·
Registered
1,940 Posts

BostonRocket said:
I have noticed that many of the E55 owners on the MBWorld forum have been calling their cars the "beast." Since it appears to be the name that is tied with whichever car in this class with the most HP, we can now call the M5 the "beast" again. Hail to the king!

'Rocket
I think Brabus might have something to say about that...

·
Registered
240 Posts

I'd say Dr.Jekyll in P400 and Mr.Hyde in P500 Sport. It's really that much, P400 is nothing after u press the POWER button. Or we call it a "monster" or "monstrous" :flag:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts

How about "The Wraith"? The car is so fast it is ghostlike, yet vicious when need be...... The shriek of the high revving engine.... and the gasps of those who witness it.....

·
Registered
240 Posts

How about "The Kracken" - as in "The Kracken awakes!" Certainly scares me when you hit the loud pedal.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts

I was pondering that very question yesterday, MJ! Funny how warped minds work.

hal2000 said:
how about

Fast but Fugly
I think I'm most comfortable with this one. I think I'm going to be repeating to the unknowing, "yeah, but she's Fast!"

As for the E55 overlap, they should be calling theirs the Straightline Beast.....

I got a call from my dealer in JAX yesterday, to tell me that......I'm next in line! Unfortunately, that means NEXT month's allocation. [email protected]

All this time I was thinking I was closer to the top, but the dealer principal has #1 (of course), and three other sick [email protected] got their deposits in before April, 2002. Apparently, sticking with my small-market dealership backfired b/c there's a high percentage of M-enthusiasts. Oh well: spec'ing her out in a month!

-Dave

·
Registered
240 Posts

Teutonaddict said:
I was pondering that very question yesterday, MJ! Funny how warped minds work.

I think I'm most comfortable with this one. I think I'm going to be repeating to the unknowing, "yeah, but she's Fast!"

As for the E55 overlap, they should be calling theirs the Straightline Beast.....

I got a call from my dealer in JAX yesterday, to tell me that......I'm next in line! Unfortunately, that means NEXT month's allocation. [email protected]

All this time I was thinking I was closer to the top, but the dealer principal has #1 (of course), and three other sick [email protected] got their deposits in before April, 2002. Apparently, sticking with my small-market dealership backfired b/c there's a high percentage of M-enthusiasts. Oh well: spec'ing her out in a month!

-Dave
That really sucks!! Our dealer of BMW has just ordered m M5 and coming after 6 months because he waited till the first M5z come and have people on order and when they got their date of recieval he'd be the last one in the list for their satisfaction. Hez a really nice guy so I'll take him for an (M) ride when I reach 5k :M5launch:

·
Registered
853 Posts

King of The Beasts!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts

First the HP is up by over 100, but the torque is quite similar to the E39.

While 'Beauty' is certainly in the eyes of the beholder, I can't image an E60 design meriting the name "Beauty' M5 or not. Love is blind only to some people.

I have seen many people call their car the "Beast': MB, Vettes, Vipers etc. Anytime the car can push the occupants into their seats, they call it 'beast'. And these days, many cars fit the bill. BTW, I remembered a ride in a Toronado (580 cu. in. or something) when I was a student in 1972. We were all pushed into our seats and someone called that car a 'beast'.

My name for the E60 M5: "NOT mine."

CP

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Ours called "Brum brum" hiha

·
Registered
240 Posts

chunpng said:
First the HP is up by over 100, but the torque is quite similar to the E39.

While 'Beauty' is certainly in the eyes of the beholder, I can't image an E60 design meriting the name "Beauty' M5 or not. Love is blind only to some people.

I have seen many people call their car the "Beast': MB, Vettes, Vipers etc. Anytime the car can push the occupants into their seats, they call it 'beast'. And these days, many cars fit the bill. BTW, I remembered a ride in a Toronado (580 cu. in. or something) when I was a student in 1972. We were all pushed into our seats and someone called that car a 'beast'.

My name for the E60 M5: "NOT mine."

CP
Excuse me? Same torque? Did u try P500 sport? or did u try kikin down at p400 and then pressin the power button? There IS a huge difference in torque, so huge that its as if a guy shot a dart on a lion's behind!!! With the SMG becoming so fierce it'll crak ur neck anytime...

Anyways, best name for the M5: "MONSTER" :eek:h:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts

The V10 makes about 8% more torque than the V8 it replaces and it does it at a higher RPM. This gives the worry that the car won't be as "tractible" - but I wonder if this is largely an academic thing since what is more important than torque or HP at the motor is the power at the rear wheels. Here is where the gear ratios + final drive ratio come into play. I will get to drive the M5 & 6 in a few weeks when I am in Germany and I plan to give a quick write up.

The more I think about a name, I do like The Wraith. Wraiths are more nimble than beasts and scarier too. It seems the E60 has higher abilities. I still love my E39 and I plan to keep it. But time marches on and the Wraiths await!

·
Registered
131 Posts

BMW Magazine called it the 'Bullet' some months ago. That appears very appropriate to. Only 4 days to go before I collect my 'Bullet'.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts