BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back I took the M5 out for a trip for the first time in a few years and while in Atlanta ran an autocross with the Peachtree chapter of the BMW CCA -- a great bunch of fanatics for sure. My daughter was going to co-drive the M5 with me but opted to drive a 996 instead (and came really close to my best time :eek:oohhh: ). Anyway, this end-of-the-season video was shot by an incredible videographer.

There is a slow-motion segment of me in the M5 matched up with a super setup M-coupe on race tires (I was on street tires for this event) around the 1:34 mark. This slalom had a very fast downhill entry, and if you watch the video, I carried a tad bit too much entry speed, so by the 3rd cone I was a bit too hot, ran wide and you can see a nice smooth dose of S62 torque gets me "just enough" rotation to get back into shape before the 4th cone. :) I've never seen HD slow-motion video of the M5 on an autox course that is this good before, so I thought others might enjoy it.

Also, around the 0:15 mark the M5 shows up with my wife putting on numbers and then a brief view of it at 0:23 in the grid.

Here's the link. If you full-screen it on a nice big monitor, it is really some nice video.

Happy holidays,

Chuck

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Nice driving! Makes me miss it. I'm afraid to go to any auto-x where you are competing, though, because I know I'd lose to you and look foolish!

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice driving! Makes me miss it. I'm afraid to go to any auto-x where you are competing, though, because I know I'd lose to you and look foolish!
Hey, that didn't stop me from co-driving your track car with you and turning slower lap times on VIR-South no matter how hard I tried. Then again, maybe I'm used to looking foolish, so that's why it doesn't matter?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Hey, that didn't stop me from co-driving your track car with you and turning slower lap times on VIR-South no matter how hard I tried. Then again, maybe I'm used to looking foolish, so that's why it doesn't matter?
I have had much more time to get used to the car and wasn't afraid to wad it up if necessary - you were being careful and had no experience with it prior. I'm confident you'd have turned better lap times with practice and less fear of damaging my car. I've never seen you look foolish on track and I doubt I ever will.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I don't seem to be able to view the video; I get a pitcure of a red Z3 and a bit further down the page it says that the video is not available for download. What embarrasingly simple thing am I missing?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Great video! I love the E21 Baur with the guy's helmet sticking out the top. :D That video makes me appreciate the San Diego chapter's AutoX events all the more. We use the west lot of Qualcomm stadium and our track is over 1 mile long and can approach speeds of 100mph with the faster cars.

Thanks for posting!

Tim

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Never mind, it has decided to work now... Great quality vid and your M5 looks great. Interesting comparing the M5 and Z3M.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Great vid. More than almost any other driving vid I've ever seen, it makes me appreciate the skill level required to transition cars at those speeds with precision. The m5 had more poise than I would've expected given its heft.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have had much more time to get used to the car and wasn't afraid to wad it up if necessary - you were being careful and had no experience with it prior. I'm confident you'd have turned better lap times with practice and less fear of damaging my car. I've never seen you look foolish on track and I doubt I ever will.
Note to self: don't ride with Brian at the track. ;)

Second note to self: don't tell him about over-cooking Oak Tree entry and coming within 9.9/10ths of going off spinning into tirewall and wadding up the car. :)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Note to self: don't ride with Brian at the track. ;)

Second note to self: don't tell him about over-cooking Oak Tree entry and coming within 9.9/10ths of going off spinning into tirewall and wadding up the car. :)
Haha. Hey, in 50+ track weekends at over 13 tracks all over the world, I haven't yet hit anything, not even a tire wall. I'd say that's a pretty decent record.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Great Video

Chuck, thanks for posting the video. I ended up spending a very enjoyable half an hour on the site, looking at his other videos. The guy is really good at editing his videos, and picking very appropriate music tracks.

Thanks, again, for starting my day off right.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Great vid! And what a great opportunity to have some fun in the //M! and save it for posterity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts