BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Jaguar said:
An almost perfect replica - you may need to shoehorn another 1.8 litre unit under the bonnet to bring it up to its proper capacity though :haha:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9837&item=2495641285&rd=1
Sorry but no where close to a near perfect replica. The pictures don't have good resolution but to my view the car hasn't got the right body kit, has the wrong wheels, and although you can't really see it I doubt the right exhaust. It does have M badges but then the kid down the street has put M badges on his 316 and now thinks his car is 30mph faster than before.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
195 Posts
For starters what was he thinking of with the hovercraft rear spoiler :nono: , no surround at rear no: plate and a cheap a*** cd player :eek:h:

I must agree not anywhere near a good replica :M5rev:

:M5launch:

:cheers:
stevie

·
Registered
200 Posts
People think my car is an M5 even though I am not trying to make it look like one :hihi: And it is completely debadged !

The only thing i can see on the 518 that is "M5" is the front badge and even then i can't work out if its just a ///M or an ///M5 ? Everything else (apart from the wheels, spoiler and exhaust) is standard E34 SE spec.

Miles

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
My original question to the seller:
"How's this an M5 replica - do you think that just by putting a badge on it makes it a replica?!"

I've just gotten a reply from this seller:
"This is an M5 replica do to the fact that every feature on the outside is IDENTICAL to an M5 i.e. big wheels, spoiler, deep exhaust, M5 door seals. The only thing that doesn't make it an M5 is When you lift the bonnet. Hence REPLICA!!!!"

My reply was:
"I understand the term 'replica' and I understand your wish to get the best possible price for what you have probably paid a lot out on with all the modifications – however you are trying to deceive by saying it is a replica - when it is not even a decent attempt at a replica.

If you are saying that with the exception of the engine this is IDENTICAL to an M5 - i.e. M5 wheels (no), M5 spoiler (no, M3 possibly), M5 suspension (probably not as that would cost £3k), M5 brakes (again, I don't think so at £2k), shall I go on - then I am sure you are living in a dream world.

Putting non-M5 17" wheels on a 518 it doesn't make it an M5 replica! Nor does putting on a spoiler that doesn’t even look like a 5-series spoiler. The exhaust looks like it is a huge rounded rectangle rather than the twin rounds of an M5.

I can show you pictures of a real one if you like, or a simple internet search will show you what wheels, spoilers, number plate surround, etc. that should be on an M5, and hence on a replica!"

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
My original question to the seller:
"How's this an M5 replica - do you think that just by putting a badge on it makes it a replica?!"

I've just gotten a reply from this seller:
"This is an M5 replica do to the fact that every feature on the outside is IDENTICAL to an M5 i.e. big wheels, spoiler, deep exhaust, M5 door seals. The only thing that doesn't make it an M5 is When you lift the bonnet. Hence REPLICA!!!!"

My reply was:
"I understand the term 'replica' and I understand your wish to get the best possible price for what you have probably paid a lot out on with all the modifications – however you are trying to deceive by saying it is a replica - when it is not even a decent attempt at a replica.

If you are saying that with the exception of the engine this is IDENTICAL to an M5 - i.e. M5 wheels (no), M5 spoiler (no, M3 possibly), M5 suspension (probably not as that would cost £3k), M5 brakes (again, I don't think so at £2k), shall I go on - then I am sure you are living in a dream world.

Putting non-M5 17" wheels on a 518 it doesn't make it an M5 replica! Nor does putting on a spoiler that doesn’t even look like a 5-series spoiler. The exhaust looks like it is a huge rounded rectangle rather than the twin rounds of an M5.

I can show you pictures of a real one if you like, or a simple internet search will show you what wheels, spoilers, number plate surround, etc. that should be on an M5, and hence on a replica!"
Bloody hell!!!!
You really let him have it!!!

Note to self - do not p*ss Mmm-Five off
grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
Bloody hell!!!!
You really let him have it!!!

Note to self - do not p*ss Mmm-Five off
grrrrrrr grrrrrrr
If he had said '518i with M-tech bits", or "BMW 5-Series with big wheels" then that would have been okay, but if he has to use the word 'replica' and 'M5' then it should be able to stand up to scrutiny. I just get fed up with sellers using ebay to deceive people :mad:

If someone says 'replica' you understand it to mean 'look-a-like' most of the time - and this doesn't even do that!

I could say mine is a 540i 'replica' and it would be closer to being true than this 518.

I am always honest in my sales and I treat people how I expect to be treated, and vice versa of course.

There was one the other day selling an M-Power 850 V12 with 400bhp for £8k. Of course I thought this must be the 850csi and they have got the power a little wrong, so I checked. It turned out to be an automatic 850ci, and the seller was going on what he was told when he took it in part-exchange. :rolleyes:

I know what to ask and probably wouldn't buy one on ebay without getting it check out completely before bidding, but how many people will not, and end up getting screwed.

However, in this case, no-one seems to have fallen for it as there are no bids!

This looks good though http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9837&item=2496515099&rd=1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts