BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
I knew it would eventually found it way here, first the bimmerforums, then bimmerfest.
The author has made quite a few mistakes in that article due to limited research and knowledge. "540i is a step above its M counterpart" ??? LOL

·
Registered
506 Posts
If I'm going to put hundreds of hours of work and thousands of parts into mechanically restoring and keeping up with a 11-14 year old car it may as well be an M5, that's my philosophy.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I knew it would eventually found it way here, first the bimmerforums, then bimmerfest.
The author has made quite a few mistakes in that article due to limited research and knowledge. "540i is a step above its M counterpart" ??? LOL

At least he got the 10w60 part right.

Except for the brand and price, though...

·
Registered
2,022 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I read his other article on half-assing the repair of a wrecked M5. I'll take what he says with a BIG grain of salt.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Finally the 540i is getting some of the respect that it deserves.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I will have to admit, that article seems to have some issues with it. I am going to guess that guy has not owned a well sorted out M5 like he has with his 540i.

My family has owned two different e38 740iLs over the last 13 years and I now have an e39 M5. Both cars when properly maintained are very reasonable to live with. Both cars when not maintained are miserable to live with. I have not driven a 540i 6 speed but taking in account the weight difference and the automatic of the 740iL, I still would not believe that the 540i would really come that close to the M5 in a straight line.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I still would not believe that the 540i would really come that close to the M5 in a straight line.
LOL, yeah, it's not even close. In fact, it's about the perfect equal of the E90 330i 6MT in terms of acceleration. ;) I bought a 540i/6MT new, took PC delivery, etc, then two years later bought the M5...had them both for a few months. The 540i/6MT is a great car (at least new) but nothing like the M5. Many, many board members back in the old days were 540i/6MT owners; at one time it seemed like a board requirement to have owned one. :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
reliable? far from it, unless you dump thousands in preventative maintenance in, which kind of defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 540i/6MT is a great car (at least new) but nothing like the M5. Many, many board members back in the old days were 540i/6MT owners; at one time it seemed like a board requirement to have owned one. :)[/QUOTE]

Count me in as one of those!:goldcup:

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The 540 is a great car, and gets a lot of respect. Just don't go modding it too much. It deserves to be kept as BMW intended.
Yeah rao, please remove your tasteless mods. Jeesh.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I feel that bit much more joy in owning a 540iA. Though I still stride to be the best auto-slushbox out there :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts