BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UUC Evo3 + DSSR or RE Octane SSK ? They seem to be equally liked, but without having the ability to test out either one myself, how do I figure out which one I should get?

The only deciding factor I have to go on currently is price. $504 for the UUC+DSSR vs $265 for the Octane, so almost 2x the cost for the UUC. What would make me want to spend 2x the money? I would have no problem doing so if I can be convinced it would be worth it.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Also, don't forget about the Autosolutions ssk (www.autosolutions.net). Cost should be around $230 or so if I remember correctly and the unit can be custom made to your preferred height and % reduction. Great piece that offers the tightest shifting feel I have felt in the M5 and I have tried the Rogue, UUC, Stygar, etc. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Keep in mind uuc can custom make the evo3 to your specs, so stock kit is a 35 % reduction you can order it with 50% reduction or 65% reduction and the height you would like. If I where you i'd get that with a 50% reduction.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
People who have had both Evo 2 and Evo 3 say the new one is a substantial improvement over the old (mainly b/c it does not increase shift effort as much and is smoother), and the Evo 2 was very comparable to the Rogue Octane. So, I would figure the Evo 3 should be the choice. One guy's report I read on the Evo 3 said it was smoother than the Autosolutions, which had been the "gold standard". The DSSR is optional for either the Evo 3 or the Rogue, as it has the additional purpose of taking out some of the remaining slop and is a guard against further wear. The DSSR is not a heavily weighted rod like the Octane WSR. That said, all of this is second hand. I have the Evo 2 with a Rogue WSR and find no real need to upgrade to the new one. If I had to do it today for the first time, however, I'd go with Evo 3 + DSSR. I wouldn't skimp just b/c of price, as the labor involved is such a pain (mainly the clip near the tranny end) that you really don't want to do this job more than once. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Need4Spd said:
People who have had both Evo 2 and Evo 3 say the new one is a substantial improvement over the old (mainly b/c it does not increase shift effort as much and is smoother), and the Evo 2 was very comparable to the Rogue Octane. So, I would figure the Evo 3 should be the choice. One guy's report I read on the Evo 3 said it was smoother than the Autosolutions, which had been the "gold standard". The DSSR is optional for either the Evo 3 or the Rogue, as it has the additional purpose of taking out some of the remaining slop and is a guard against further wear. The DSSR is not a heavily weighted rod like the Octane WSR. That said, all of this is second hand. I have the Evo 2 with a Rogue WSR and find no real need to upgrade to the new one. If I had to do it today for the first time, however, I'd go with Evo 3 + DSSR. I wouldn't skimp just b/c of price, as the labor involved is such a pain (mainly the clip near the tranny end) that you really don't want to do this job more than once. Just my 2 cents.
Not got personal experience but done a lot of research and I have ordered the EVO3 with DSSR too
WillM5AD
CHECK this thread ouhttp://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57460t

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Try understeer.com

Maybe call them- looks like 325 + 100 w/ free shipping (but I have a feeling the longer M5 DSSR may be more- probably talk them into 450 for the set...)

I have the evo3/dssr but only other data point is stock- i recommend ANY ssk over stock. :)

Look at it this way- you can't go wrong, just maybe spending a few bucks that maybe you didn't really need to!

A

PS If you will be installing it, check out a post by wrightsvillebeast on the subject- all you need to know.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Another factor you may want to consider is noise. All ssks sacrifice some noise - it's mostly a question of how much when. I have the Octane ssk and I've been very happy with it. It doesn't make any noise whatsoever unless you are exerting some pressure on it (like when shifting)

·
Registered
680 Posts
What about Dinan's?

I'm looking at getting that one. I just drove it in an S2 M3 and liked it a lot.

-Matthew

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MT JTN said:
What about Dinan's?

I'm looking at getting that one. I just drove it in an S2 M3 and liked it a lot.

-Matthew
There was an older thread where someone said the Dinan shifter was the stock shifter painted black and slapped with a Dinan logo, and the pictures of the stock and Dinan side by side looked very close to identical to me.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
There was an older thread where someone said the Dinan shifter was the stock shifter painted black and slapped with a Dinan logo, and the pictures of the stock and Dinan side by side looked very close to identical to me.
I remember that, too. I think they did shorten it by cutting it down a bit, but that's about all they do to shorten the shifts.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Looks like all the info on our shifters has been posted by others in this thread, but I'd like to point out some additional and important bits of info:

1) Due to UUC's use of a ball bearing in the lower pivot and the self-adjusting primary pivot bearing, the long-term precision will remain the same. With any bushing-equipped shifter (even metal bushings), there is a noticeable degradation even within the first 6 months of use.

2) The custom options for the UUC shifters in terms of height and reduction changes are available at no charge - simply speak with a UUC representative to discuss your personal preferences.

3) In addition to the normal 3/4" range of adjustability in the UUC shifters, UUC now offers a height-adjustable shift knob called the RK6A which, at the lowest setting, ends up approximately 5mm taller than the actual shift lever... that's short!

(click the pic for more details and pricing)

This knob will also be available for ordering in leather as of 8/16/05.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
chivas said:
http://www.540i6.com/m3shifter.html

might as well go for the M3 (95) ssk.. it's cheap and just as effective. i believe the 540 and the M5 have the same tranny, just different shifters so if you want short, there it is... cost: about $70. pretty? nobody is ever going to see it so why pay $150 or more for nothing?

If you're going to ask why, you might as well have the answer as to why not:

1) Too low in the car.

2) Will get just as sloppy as your worn-out (over 10K miles) M5 shifter.

3) cheap with all the bad connotations. Why would you think this would feel good?

(brand-new M3 shifter)

For even more details, CLICK HERE

You've got a $75,000 car and the part you operate more often than anything other than the steering wheel is $27... hmmm, the guys in the $16,000 Euro 316i have the same part. What's wrong with that picture?

- Rob

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wrightsville Beast said:
The standard UUC Evo 3 is awesome. However - if I were to do it again I would take Jaysons advice and custom order it with a 50% reduction. The 35% is good - but sometimes I wish it was just a tad shorter. :M5thumbs:
Same here. Oh well, you live and you learn. I just wish I would have learned through someone elses car and not my own! ouich

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rob Levinson said:
If you're going to ask why, you might as well have the answer as to why not:

1) Too low in the car.

2) Will get just as sloppy as your worn-out (over 10K miles) M5 shifter.

3) cheap with all the bad connotations. Why would you think this would feel good?

(brand-new M3 shifter)

For even more details, CLICK HERE

You've got a $75,000 car and the part you operate more often than anything other than the steering wheel is $27... hmmm, the guys in the $16,000 Euro 316i have the same part. What's wrong with that picture?

- Rob
what the hell did you do to that shifter? throw it against a wall a couple of times to show it moves "with finger strength?!?!? got a M5 shifter right here and while the link between the knob and the lower link has some play (seems to reduce vibration to the knob), it does not move like what you have shown there.

and that "click here" link goes to your site or a site you have relations with.

just because someone spends $75,000 doesn't mean they should throw away money. hell, why not just have them get a Rogue Octane shifter then?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
chivas said:
what the hell did you do to that shifter? throw it against a wall a couple of times to show it moves "with finger strength?!?!? got a M5 shifter right here and while the link between the knob and the lower link has some play (seems to reduce vibration to the knob), it does not move like what you have shown there.

just because someone spends $75,000 doesn't mean they should throw away money. hell, why not just have them get a Rogue Octane shifter then?

it goes to UUC motorwerks site. 20 doller shifter on a 75,000 car? how cheap can you be. I"m not talking about throwing away money but come on 200 bucks ain't ****.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
chivas said:
That's a brand-new shifter directly from BMW.

Any day of the week, tell me when you want to visit - I'll order a handful of shifters the day before so they are delivered when you arrive, you'll see that's how they come with only minor variation. Some are even worse.

Of course it does - it goes to the UUC "shifter comparisons" page and describes in detail how other shifters, including the original BMW shifter, are made. Considering that BMW shifters are one of our areas of expertise, I'm not sure why you would be surprised!

just because someone spends $75,000 doesn't mean they should throw away money.
What's that old expression? "A fool knows the price of everything but the value of nothing."

Smart people that have money often know why they buy "the good stuff". Heck, if you wanted a car that would run under 6 seconds 0-60, and didn't want to throw away money, then a Neon SRT-4 would have been a much better choice than the M5.

hell, why not just have them get a Rogue Octane shifter then?
Back to the "value" of a thing - the Octane is built exactly like a BMW shifter - plastic in the pivot, pivot ball, and soft rubber in the middle. Slop, wear, and flex... the exact same things happen to those shifters that happen to a BMW shifter - and they do not happen to a UUC shifter. We build them to last.

- Rob

1 - 20 of 32 Posts