BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bavarian automaker, BMW, is working hard in order to get the next generation of everyone’s favorite high-performance sports sedan, the M5, ready for an unveiling sometime late in 2011. We have just learned a few new details about the future four door, some very interesting ones at that.

First, the F10 BMW M5 will incorporate an power regeneration unit similar to the KERS system found in the Formula 1 race cars that will help the to improve fuel economy as well as give the future M car an electric boost that the driver can request with the touch of a button, just like the F1 car. Similar to GM displacement on demand system, the BMW’s power plant will also be able to shut down a number of cylinders while driving at a relaxed pace around town and use the electric motor for a slight assist.

The next big story is the power plant. The 2011 M5 will feature a design similar to the twin-scroll turbocharged V8 engine found in the X5M/X6M. This is the forward thinking V8 that places the compressors inside the V, making for a much more compact layout for the engine. The big new is that in order to create a V10, two more cylinders must be grafted onto the existing block. The BMW built engines will then be mated to either a dual-clutch gearbox (DCT) or a more advanced sequential manual gearbox (SMG), but no matter how they are shifted, there will be 8 gears for each. The new M5 is shaping up to be an even more powerful replacement for the already impressive 500+ HP M5.:applause:

If this is true then Wow.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Regarding the engine and KERS, I don't know where you get your information, but it's speculation and is not from BMW. We've heard these stories before...

Yes the M5 is scheduled to be shown/announced this year, but deliveries to the U.S. won't be until 2012.

KERS is a big "if". There has been no word from BMW regarding this, even though there was a lot of speculation to that effect about a year ago. Now, nothing is being said about KERS for a production BMW.

Don't believe the V-10 part for a moment. Pure crap - once you understand how the charge coupled turbos on the X5M and X6M work (with paired tuned length exhaust runs to each of the two inlet ports on the twin scroll turbo). Each pair of cylinders work to feed a single scroll port. Two ports/scrolls per turbo and 2 turbos = 8 cylinders. A 90 degree V-10 does not allow an even pairing plus being 90 degrees the exhaust pulses (from opposite banks) are not evenly spaced.

Sure, people have turbo charged V-10s before. But that is with a traditional intake in the middle and exhaust outboard design where each turbo is fed by a bank of (5) cylinders on a side.

The engine in the F10 M5 will be based on the TT V-8 engines of the X5M and X6M. Tuned differently no doubt, but sadly, not a V-10.

Expect DCT, not SMG. Number of gears unknown but 7 or 8 is likely (I'd guess 8 but I have no inside information to back that up).

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
As cool as a TT V10 would be (still not as cool as a NA V10, but quite cool), I do not think it will be in the new M5. It is easiest for BMW to use a similar engine to the X5 M in the new M5, and it seems that BMW is only interested in making the most money possible and trying to make the M cars more "green." Also, Mark pointed out the engineering setbacks with producing a TT V10.

Also, I would love an SMG transmission but it looks like DCT is where every manufacturer is going. I highly doubt they would put a DCT in the M3 (most people with limited SMG experience find DCT "better) and then not put one in the F10 M5.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
At the "Tech Briefing" session we had at BMW's Miramas track back in Sept 2010, they showed us a cut-away of the DCT used in the M3. In conversation they talked about the virtues of the DCT, but offered up that for racing, the SMG had some advantages (lighter weight, bigger single clutch, etc.). So they still appreciate SMG in some cases but the message was clear. For street M cars, DCT was the way ahead (for now anyway). That does not mean the won't still accommodate "crazy" Americans who demand clutch pedals (manual trans) in the future, but that the DCT is their M transmission of choice (outside of their trucks, oops, "SAV"s). I say "crazy" because the Germans don't "get" why anyone would not want the best/fastest transmission.

Likewise, they were touting the engineering of the TT V8 used in the X5M and X6M and did not mention the S85 V10. That was expected since they no longer sell the S85 engine, but they were telling us pretty much straight up that there will not be a V-10 in the F10 M5. And they knew they were giving bad news to a S85 owner/lover (me).

Oh yeah, another supporting bit of (old) info. The one-off 25th anniversary M5 that BMW made (but never sold) had a 550 hp (tuned) version of the S85 V-10 and a DCT. So they have been testing a DCT for a couple of years in an M5. I saw this as an indication that DCT was planned for the next generation M5. I have no idea if that DCT was a beefed up DCT from an M3 or something else...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Speculation, speculation speculation ! It can really be fun !

One of the most significant moves BMW made to dampen my spirit was their exit from F1......and this brings me to the question...BMW are no longer involved in F1, directly or as an engine supplier....how are they going to develop a KERS system for a road going car ? Will they fall back on their old technology ? F1 is extremely dynamic and to use systems from previous F1 seasons in a current car would provide fodder for the likes of Mercedes to use as a USP. I can just see it now "Do you want to drive a road going F1 car.....which incidentally the E60 M5 was sold as !.....or do you want to drive a pretender with obsolete technology ? ( NOTE: Writing copy has never been my forte ! ).

The corporate reasons for the withdrawal don't seem to add up...and if the E60 was road going F1 what will the F10 be ? The methodology too doesn't seem to add up either in my opinion....but what am I in the scheme of things ?

BMW really need to assemble all their spanners completely...or their production robots!....in the same row. It seems to me...and this is only an opinion...that a fundamental M thesis no longer exists, and as such, they are subject to the vicissitudes of market forces....leading to idea generation that is indeed shallow and with no precedent. :wroom:

Don't get me wrong with my line of thought.....I drove an X5 M and am currently in the market for one. But, not because it is an M vehicle or for its driver interaction but for other reasons....and though I don't agree with some of the things they're currently doing...I'm still a die hard loyalist.

And, since this is still speculation and is not the official BMW line ( KERS ) I will patiently await BMW's version of " A Theory of Forms" and pray it approximates to Plato's original.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The new M5 will not have a V10. Probably the same reason we never got the C6 RS6 here in the states :/

·
Registered
431 Posts
You can get gobs and gobs of power out of a V8. No need for a V10, as much as we like ours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts