BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the word last week that my dealer expects the M5 by summer. I'm high on the list and look forward to it.

No run flats or active steering thank God.

The reviews are exceptional, sedans are selling slow right now with the 5 down %22 percent for August (source Roundel). Hopefully pricing for the M5 will be held in check. As I suggested in an earlier post the high price of gasoline is taking its toll on guzzlers.

Expect $3.00 per gal. in the spring. That translates to about $75 a tank full in the average SUV.. I don't mind paying that for an M5 but not for that dreaded hauler.

Any thoughts?

:M5launch: Launch control F1 style.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Check back with your dealer when he's recovered from whatever he's been smoking.

Seriously, the M5 release has been delayed in Europe until early next year. Release in the States is typically one year after the Europe release that was scheduled for late this year. The US release probably won't be put off until 2006, but I'll be it will not be until Fall at the earliest, and that would be for the first units to arrive. Unless you have one of the biggest dealers in the US, you're probably talking about a car or two each month.

I'm first on the list at my dealer, and I'm not expecting to see my M5 until next Winter. If it arrives in the Fall, I'll be pleasantly suprised.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wolverine said:
Check back with your dealer when he's recovered from whatever he's been smoking.

Seriously, the M5 release has been delayed in Europe until early next year. Release in the States is typically one year after the Europe release that was scheduled for late this year. The US release probably won't be put off until 2006, but I'll be it will not be until Fall at the earliest, and that would be for the first units to arrive. Unless you have one of the biggest dealers in the US, you're probably talking about a car or two each month.

I'm first on the list at my dealer, and I'm not expecting to see my M5 until next Winter. If it arrives in the Fall, I'll be pleasantly suprised.
Actually, my source has always been conservative on these things, he states that the introduction of a wagon the M5 and the new 4 series next year. Prior to this is was January of 06. We'll see.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
All indications I have heard is that the M5 will be launched during the next year in the USA, around autumn 2005.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The European cars are not 100% ready yet. Most of us have heard about the engine management issues. Once the LHD Euro spec cars are sorted, BMW will tool up for RHD production.

Finally, after additional testing & modification to meet the unique American (DOT/EPA) standards, the USA cars will be produced.

I anticipate this process should be complete within the 8-10 months but it's all up in the air at the moment ??????

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Before the delay in Europe the M5 was not coming to the USA before next October. Now its anyone's guess. I predict a slow trickle of cars in October, so if your dealer is not one of the largest (possible based on where you live) you will not see one. I would also expect those lucky first few dealers to jack on the premiums because I think more than any M5 before, there will eventually be higher volume of the car plus the controversial nature of it, they will want to strike while the iron is hot for their added profits they expect from the M5. By Spring 2006, the volume will have improved enough that most who are early on their lists will see the car. I think the point at which things will smooth out a little won't be until fall 2006 at the earliest. I would advise you to wait for the 2nd year anyway. Thats when it seems BMW makes the changes to the series model (angel eyes, 16x9 nav) and also adds things to the M cars (M audio). With so much computer based things on the car, it might be a good idea to let the first few go to the beta testers. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
383 Posts
I thought this was the latest update on the delays thanks to Gustav's preview and chat?

What about the delay in production of the car: Start it in spring 2005. Pre-production for the cirtical parts where we had a bottleneck. In the beginning of the next year we will have a modification in the standard 5-sereis, which we also wanted to incorporate in the M5. New incorporations in the regular 5-series is causing the delays. Also I want to have top qualtiy. We also had oroblems with the test riggs for the gearbox. The testrigg broke, so we had to redesign the testrigg.

So the issues are sorted, but they are hoaving to wait for non-related issues with the update to the standard 5.

This could be LED rear lights that people want or someother minor changes the team at M don't want the M5 to miss.

Sacha...

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
In Paris they said latest around Sept / Oct for USA market. "We cant wait more than that, the competition cant be unmatched for longer". I think the US-certification won't be automatically delayed say 4 motnhs just because the European launch is delayed that time. It might not be such a critical component / issue that also stalls the USA-certification process.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
My dealer told me (I'm #1 on the list) that I would be hard pressed to see a car in calendar year 2005 and although information is sketchy, we (M5Board) seem more educated than the dealers. I am sure that Canadian allocation will be slim compared to USA. I am in no rush and inclined to wait a year and request a 2nd year car for build in January/March delivery 2006.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Latest news I have from my contact is that the car that was initially supposed to be delivered to me in January 2005 will be March/April.

"Unofficial" reason given was SMG software.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Jim Dolan said:
Expect $3.00 per gal. in the spring. That translates to about $75 a tank full in the average SUV.. I don't mind paying that for an M5 but not for that dreaded hauler.
Still better price than a 4.5 $ per gallon - in Poland :biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts