BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have experience with Nexen (Engineered by Yokohama) tires? local tire shop recommends them as a longer life alternative to the PS2s. Just need to replace the rear, but with the right price, I may switch front and rear. Looking at the N3000 or N7000

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. What are you running on the front? I still have nice PS2s and would probably go with the N7000, due to the similar tread pattern, if I only do the rear set.

Thanks,
Dave

PS - any links to auto-x sites you could recommend?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I had PS2's upfront during the auto-x, but just changed them yesterday. Of course I'm not happy with what I got so I will probably change again.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Nexen? arent they the people that make cheap and nasty forklifts/plant equipment? You wouldnt catch me putting them on my car nor yokohama ditchfinders either!! each to their own i guess!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I put nexen on the rear of my 540i because they are relatively inexpensive to replace when I burn them off! Toyos on the front for good steering feel. Some people don't like mismatched treads, but, for the price, I don't care.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nexen N3000 are AWESOME tires. Dont let the name fool you because they are not as established in the market. I promised you that you will not be dissapointed. I love these tires when I had them on my car and I still have them on my Honda Accord too. They are the best bang for the bucks in every way. You can pay twice the price for some other tires and it wont be half as good as the Nexen N3000. I dont know about the N7000 cause I never had them. I like the tread pattern on N3000 because it minimize the feather edge on the tires

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Nexen N3000 are AWESOME tires. Dont let the name fool you because they are not as established in the market. I promised you that you will not be dissapointed. I love these tires when I had them on my car and I still have them on my Honda Accord too. They are the best bang for the bucks in every way. You can pay twice the price for some other tires and it wont be half as good as the Nexen N3000. I dont know about the N7000 cause I never had them. I like the tread pattern on N3000 because it minimize the feather edge on the tires
Does Discount Tires carry this brand and what is the cost for the rears? This is very timely for me.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just bought a set of PS2's, spent about $1300 and felt it was well worth it. I've gone with cheap tires in the past and I've paid for it in the end every single time.

Even though you pay a bit of branding for Michellins or Pirelli's, there is a reason that the reason are 1/3rd the cost of a PS2. It's called "cheap tire".

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have them as well - ditto on the positive remarks!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
i had the n3000s on my 540i and didn't have any problems. Suspension + sway bar it handled well, but then agian, i haven't driven on good ps2's yet either so I can only compare to the bike (which is a BIT different) ;)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Have the N3000's on right now - stock stagger with 19". Came with the car when I bought it.
They are cheap for a reason - LACK OF GRIP.
Positives - they are fairly quiet, decent in the rain, predictable breakaway
Negative - rear wear - my fronts are 8/32", rear are 3/32". I do drive without DSC a lot of the time though. I do have slight out of round issues with the front after 1 track day.
They are predictable at the limit.

Had them at a BMWCC event that had a lot of slow 3rd gear 60-80km/hr corners and they did highlight the understeer nature of the car.
They were fine on the high speed sweepers, and didn't seem to degrade over successive laps.
To be fair, I stayed ahead of an E60 M5 with Toyo T1R's, and passed many e46 M3's with various brands of tires.

If you like drifting - they are a great cheap tire.
If you like grip? Look elsewhere.
Tomorrow I'll have a set of 19" 275's F/R in the Bridgestone RE-11. I'll report back after 1000km or so.

My old car with 245's all around on Bridgestone RE-050APP would have about 10-20% higher cornering speed than the N3000's on the M5.
I really liked the RE-050APP as I could keep up with the same care shod in Toyo RA-1's.

For the price?? Nexen's are are about 40% the cost of the top tier tires.
40% of the cost for around 80% of the performance may be enough for some.
But I look at it as the same as fitting a restrictor plate to the engine.

You bought an M5 and not a 540.
Fitting anything other than top tier tires is just plain wrong.

my $0.02

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up with the OEM PS2s, but have heard from another owner that those were discontinued. Does anyone know about that and, if it is true, what BMW is recommending instead?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Have the N3000's on right now - stock stagger with 19". Came with the car when I bought it.
They are cheap for a reason - LACK OF GRIP.
Positives - they are fairly quiet, decent in the rain, predictable breakaway
Negative - rear wear - my fronts are 8/32", rear are 3/32". I do drive without DSC a lot of the time though. I do have slight out of round issues with the front after 1 track day.
They are predictable at the limit.

Had them at a BMWCC event that had a lot of slow 3rd gear 60-80km/hr corners and they did highlight the understeer nature of the car.
They were fine on the high speed sweepers, and didn't seem to degrade over successive laps.
To be fair, I stayed ahead of an E60 M5 with Toyo T1R's, and passed many e46 M3's with various brands of tires.

If you like drifting - they are a great cheap tire.
If you like grip? Look elsewhere.
Tomorrow I'll have a set of 19" 275's F/R in the Bridgestone RE-11. I'll report back after 1000km or so.

My old car with 245's all around on Bridgestone RE-050APP would have about 10-20% higher cornering speed than the N3000's on the M5.
I really liked the RE-050APP as I could keep up with the same care shod in Toyo RA-1's.

For the price?? Nexen's are are about 40% the cost of the top tier tires.
40% of the cost for around 80% of the performance may be enough for some.
But I look at it as the same as fitting a restrictor plate to the engine.

You bought an M5 and not a 540.
Fitting anything other than top tier tires is just plain wrong.

my $0.02
hit the nail on the head

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I have run them on my drift car and they were a good tire. They lacked grip a bit, but that's okay on that car because I lack power. I will say they're consistent through their tread life and can take some heat.

Also, the N7000 and N3000 use the same rubber compound(s) but different molds/ tread patterns.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have Nexen N7000 for fronts and rears staggered. They seem to ride fine with no complaints from me although I've owned the beast only for about 4 months (they came with the car). Yes they are relatively inexpensive but there are also a few positive reviews on the net about them. You can see them on my beast in the pics of my albums by clicking on my name.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,230 Posts
These are probably the only tires that will hold 20,000 miles on my car. Last rear set was used drifting the salt flats for total of 26 miles .. compare to drifting on wet asphalt... they were torn up afterward, but i still used them for 1 month. The ones i have now have helt about 18,000 miles and includes couple doughnut sessions and still wear is relatively very good. PS2's -- with 60% thread tires the rears were bald on 1 night of fun.. and I didn't have THAT much fun.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts