BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well .....soon to be Newbie that is.
Been lurking for a few weeks and enjoy all the info passed around.

Ready to buy an 08 M5 (been lusting for one for a while). Had my mind made up on a 6-speed but just have started to slightly consider the SMG only because finding a white / black perf leather, 6-speed has been really hard to find- only a few out there. If I changed the ext color, I'd have a few more choices, but really like the white and not ready to give up on it yet.

Did find a loaded White 6-speed across the country. Thinking a lease may be the best deal for now.
98+ MSRP
91K Cap cost
24 month lease, 10k miles, .00285 MF, about 1,400/month pymt.
Decent deal ?? Maybe better rates in June?
I am bummed, started looking in April and the rates were better then.

I'm guessing about 1,600 - 1,800 for enclosed shipping. Anyone have a decent shipper to recommend? I have used ALL American Transport in the past, they were fine.

There is a local one but with SMG - I'll talk to them tomorrow and see what they are interested in doing. But part of me thinks I will enjoy the 6-speed more in the long run.
Anyone have the SMG and wish they had a manual ? Or the other way around?

The car will be for fun and not get a ton of miles - live where I work,
no commute, and have a few other rides. Will be my first BMW - with 4 wheels that is, have a 1200GS, 1200 RT and a HP2.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm getting excited just thinking about the ride.........

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I don't think you'll find anyone here that'll admit anything either way. With that being said, go for an extended test drive in both.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Order one brand new.

Why not order a brand new M5 and get it with any color or option you want. That's what I did. Takes about 6 or 7 weeks.

Well .....soon to be Newbie that is.
Been lurking for a few weeks and enjoy all the info passed around.

Ready to buy an 08 M5 (been lusting for one for a while). Had my mind made up on a 6-speed but just have started to slightly consider the SMG only because finding a white / black perf leather, 6-speed has been really hard to find- only a few out there. If I changed the ext color, I'd have a few more choices, but really like the white and not ready to give up on it yet.

Did find a loaded White 6-speed across the country. Thinking a lease may be the best deal for now.
98+ MSRP
91K Cap cost
24 month lease, 10k miles, .00285 MF, about 1,400/month pymt.
Decent deal ?? Maybe better rates in June?
I am bummed, started looking in April and the rates were better then.

I'm guessing about 1,600 - 1,800 for enclosed shipping. Anyone have a decent shipper to recommend? I have used ALL American Transport in the past, they were fine.

There is a local one but with SMG - I'll talk to them tomorrow and see what they are interested in doing. But part of me thinks I will enjoy the 6-speed more in the long run.

The car will be for fun and not get a ton of miles - live where I work, no commute, and have a few other rides. Will be my first BMW - with 4 wheels that is, have a 1200GS, 1200 RT and a HP2.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm getting excited just thinking about the ride.........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have been thinking about ordering one. The only hesitation is if I waited another month and half, I could have an '09. (If I ordered an 08 now, would get end of July, factory closed in August, deliver an 09 end of Sept give or take a couple of weeks).

Drove a 6-speed and liked it, test drive the SMG this weekend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, drove the SMG this morning and liked it much better than I thought. Manual modes were fine, but the auto modes shifted rough, especially between first and second but was decent if you let of the throttle a bit.
It was a dealer demo with 3k miles, so I was able to step on it a few times.
Tried very hard to hide the huge grin.

Trying to make the deal happen, the only hitch is the money factor. They quoted .00295, which they are marking up. Got the cap cost to invoice +500. Now if they will come down on the MF, maybe I can have a new ride this weekend...........yee haaa!!

So, how do I get them to prove what the money really costs them (as mentioned in the post about leases) ? The deal is through BMW FS. What paperwork do I look, or ask for?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
As far as transportation, I bought my Beast through BMW of Sterling with one of the members on this board (he doesn't do anything with them anymore though). Anyway, as part of the deal they shipped the car out to me. Through all his research, he found a service run by Fedex called "Passport." The truck driver was VERY professional, and this enclosed truck had some nice cars in it though I think my brand new M5 qualified as the most expensive. Jerry Seinfeld's Porsche was in there being moved from New York to LA for the summer months. Cost about $1700-1800, enclosed transport, top rack, from Virginia to Las Vegas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the word, car at dealership, will pick it up tomorrow at noon. Yeah !!
08 A.White / Black Perf / SMG / loaded.

This forum is great for advice. Obviously the charcoal filters have to go.
Brake-in sounds like a big tease.
But it will give me a little time to research some exhausts - something a little throaty but not "headache" loud. I put Remus titanium cans all on my BMW bikes, like they way they sound.

Anyway, I look forward to lurking some more and discovering tips and tricks.

But was wondering if this forum is run by a secret, subversive cult designed to have people open their wallets for more and more mods ???

·
Registered
694 Posts
one thing...they do discount the money factor if you A. are a returning BMW financial customer or B. you do a security deposit. I did this, a 1400 deposit, actually saves me 720 in payments over 24 months. also at that high of an MSRP...you are better off going for 10K a year, and getting a 71% residual, then buying miles later at 16 cents !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bummer....so close to bringing it home, but NAV locked up !!

Signed the papers, was doing the walk through with the tech, showing me all the bells and whistles, programmed my phone for me.........last thing, the NAV. Put the DVD in, nothing happens. Won't eject. Turn everything off, let it set for a while. Nothing. So they sent me hone in a Mini and will bring it to me as soon as it gets fixed.

I was excited for a minute or two.

Decided on the 24 month lease, 10K miles, MF down to.00260.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts