BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, so today, as i was registering the new purchase for my license plates, i stopped for a coffee, yeah, i know, dont drink in the car....but in a hard Bay Area 15 mph hour-long commute, the coffee keeps me from dozing off . the M5 is in amazing visual shape, 38K miles, and in perfect condition per three different mechanical reviews at three different bmw shops.

so yes, i had it in D1-3 around the coffee shop. I stop at a light, light changes, and bam. it feels like im rearended, noise, movement. i step out, and nothing, the guy behind me is what? i did not hit you....and he is right, they were two feet from me when i heard the noise and looked back....

is this just D1 getting a nasty engagement clunk or something more. I rarely use D anything as i commute early so i can get some speed 50-60 mph....so just a bit freaked out at the moment.

also, in one of the submenus i have this "data transmission error, failed to notify" and a time and date....no clue what that is about.

thoughts on these two random items?

car is CPO'd, warranty left, and extended maintenanced through 2014.

thanks for the read.

ric

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
the "bang" happens to me every now and then. like once every 3-4 months. I think it may be the throw out bearing that needs to be lubricated, but i could be wrong.

I usually drive in D3 when commuting, and like you said, it happens when i slow to a gentle stop and the gears are shifting down from 3, 2, to 1. then BANG.

you can do a search on this site as this topic has been discussed several times before.

i wouldn't worry about it too much if it rarely happens, as in once in a blue moon. But if it happens very frequently, take it into the dealer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hiya, so today, as i was registering the new purchase for my license plates, i stopped for a coffee, yeah, i know, dont drink in the car....but in a hard Bay Area 15 mph hour-long commute, the coffee keeps me from dozing off . the M5 is in amazing visual shape, 38K miles, and in perfect condition per three different mechanical reviews at three different bmw shops.

so yes, i had it in D1-3 around the coffee shop. I stop at a light, light changes, and bam. it feels like im rearended, noise, movement. i step out, and nothing, the guy behind me is what? i did not hit you....and he is right, they were two feet from me when i heard the noise and looked back....

is this just D1 getting a nasty engagement clunk or something more. I rarely use D anything as i commute early so i can get some speed 50-60 mph....so just a bit freaked out at the moment.

also, in one of the submenus i have this "data transmission error, failed to notify" and a time and date....no clue what that is about.

thoughts on these two random items?

car is CPO'd, warranty left, and extended maintenanced through 2014.

thanks for the read.

ric
So This happens to me when I am in 500p mode but normally never in 400 I know that u can always reset ur SMG and that helps ALOT because the can learns how u drive and adjust and it may be thinking like the old owner. I know this cuz ugly mine this past valentines day and it had 38,000 miles (kind or ironic) but I reset it and it's has never done it since. If u don't now how to do it all u do is get up to about 50 and pull both paddles. And hold for about 5 seconds and let go and keep going. Plz do a search to double check because I am talking from memory.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
for SMG reset, find a straight stretch of road. You can drive at 35 mph. Then put the car in neutral while driving, pull both SMG paddle shifters back at the same time and hold for 5 seconds. Then release, and put the car back into gear. You do this while still going at 35 mph.

and yes, release your foot off the accelerator when doing so

So This happens to me when I am in 500p mode but normally never in 400 I know that u can always reset ur SMG and that helps ALOT because the can learns how u drive and adjust and it may be thinking like the old owner. I know this cuz ugly mine this past valentines day and it had 38,000 miles (kind or ironic) but I reset it and it's has never done it since. If u don't now how to do it all u do is get up to about 50 and pull both paddles. And hold for about 5 seconds and let go and keep going. Plz do a search to double check because I am talking from memory.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback

Feels good to know this is within the normal experience. I will do the SMG reset for good measure

thanks for taking time to respond to a newbie

Ric

·
Registered
129 Posts
it happens to my car when stop at level street and foot off the brake for a while then started going. It has never happen again if I leave my foot on the brake at stop night or at least step on the brake before applying gas at the light.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had this IDENTICAL problem with my 2008 M5. It happened 4 times in the space of a few months, once the car actually stalled. Same feeling it's like you got hit up the rear. I took it to the dealer 3 times, first time they go nup no problem that we can detect, no error codes, but we topped up the transmission fluid it was a little low so maybe that will fix it. A day later BANG it happens again, I ring them they say it will take a day or so for the extra fluid to 'take effect' (kid you not that's what they said) but I wasn't happy so brought it in again. They said ok this time we reset the Adaptions and fluid is topped up so lets see how that goes. It was ok for 6 weeks then sure enough BANG it happens again this time I took notice of what gear I was in - P400 D3. Each time it happened when I was stopping or nearly stopped, it always seemed to happen when I was in drive mode and gears changing from 2nd to 1st as I stopped. Every time same feeling like I was getting rear ended. So I took it back again, this time there was an error code! "Harsh gear changes" the guys at BMW said ok now we can do something we will upgrade the software to the latest version and see how that goes. I asked why wasn't the car upgraded the first time I came in!!! They said the system doesn't allow updates unless there is an error code. I'm not sure if that's horseshit or not so I just nodded and said we'll see how it goes, and took the car. That was 2 weeks ago and to be honest I have noticed a difference in the way the gears/revs perform now as opposed to before it seems much smoother but not sure if that will last once the adaptives kick in. Hope that helps. I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Keep your foot on the brake
Don't sit at a light with your foot off the brake and this usually won't happen.
it happens to my car when stop at level street and foot off the brake for a while then started going. It has never happen again if I leave my foot on the brake at stop night or at least step on the brake before applying gas at the light.
Do what these folks have said and it won't happen again. SMG reset is not going stop it from happening. Congrats on your new purchase :goldcup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. It is interesting. Seems like it is mostly to do with break usage at a stop in D.

I honestly do not remember not having the break depressed before hitting the gas. But it was a flat road and I was putzing around with the coffee and email, I know bad, but mostly getting ready for a boring hour drive. I will try to recreate it and if it happens again without holding down the break I will breathe much easier.

Any thoughts on the data transmission thing? Is this something to do with registering the notification of service with BMW?

Thanks again for the

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Don't sit at a light with your foot off the brake and this usually won't happen.
+1.
If you research it, you will see more threads about this issue on the board.
That issue happened to me twice on my E46 M3 (4 years ago), and after getting the car checked by my dealer and farther investigation to duplicate the issue, I was told I should keep my foot on the break if I am in complete stop. Apparently the SMG has some sort of safety logic that could result in what you experienced.
I NEVER experienced that issue after that!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks. i have been playing with it and yes, if i am not on the break at a stoplight, flat surface, it does buck a bit. i will have to modify the driving patterns, but not a big deal. thanks all for the helpful tips.

car is freaking amazing on the open road at 5am.....i live for that feeling of opening it up on a quarter mile onramp.

best

r

1 - 15 of 15 Posts