BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and asking typically newbie-ish questions with 1st post. Pls indulge me ;)
I'm thinking of chopping in the 5 Touring family car for an M5. I've read i shd be looking for post '01 cars and to make sure i get an extended warrenty. Any other obvious things to look out for? Does the M5 have any major vices i should now about? Clutch, exhaust- i assume Tubi's obligatory?-, brakes, tyres etc?
Thanks in advance.
Tony

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
tony h said:
and asking typically newbie-ish questions with 1st post. Pls indulge me ;)
I'm thinking of chopping in the 5 Touring family car for an M5. I've read i shd be looking for post '01 cars and to make sure i get an extended warrenty. Any other obvious things to look out for? Does the M5 have any major vices i should now about? Clutch, exhaust- i assume Tubi's obligatory?-, brakes, tyres etc?
Thanks in advance.
Tony
Noting is obligatory. The vast majority of M5s are stock (IMHO).. as an enthuisast website, the cross section here is not 'representative'.

Only vice is speed. and the impact on yout license and insurance.

Welcome

A

PS Clutch will not tolerate abuse. Hard to know if it was abused before you got it. Budget for a replacement eventually.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Hi Tony - welcome to the board :byebye:

A few thoughts.....

For the UK market the three "must haves" are a BMW warranty, full service history and Comms Pack (aka SatNav). Colour choice is subjective but you can't go wrong with Silver, Black or Blue. Colours like Oxford Green and Alpine White are not popular in England.

There is a large choice of aftermarket exhausts out there. The good ones include Tubi, Milltek, Kelleners, Supersprint, etc. etc. The main difference between them is noise level - so make sure you are happy with this both inside and outside if you are buying a car with an aftermarket exhaust.

Your BMW dealer will be able to provide a service history if you supply the VIN number.

Brakes, tyres, clutch etc. all depend on how it's been driven. The items themselves are not cheap but do last well if treated with respect.

Other options to consider include PDC and the DSP/Individual Audio (which I find a pain due to the big woofers taking up so much boot space).

Finally, don't forget to come along to a meet once you have the car as you won't find a more knowledgable bunch of M5 owners anywhere - always happy to share suggestions - here's an example:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55966&page=1&highlight=pics+London

It's a great car - go for it! :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts