BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've newly acuired a 1994 six-speeder with 64,000 miles, in great shape both mechanically and cosmetically.

Question 1 - what's the likely oil consumption on a car of this mileage? I filled it to the max mark on the dipstick today with a just under a litre, do these things require regular top ups?

Question 2 - there's a fair bit of rattle within the car, a lot seems to be from in the doors, feels like the shell has taken a fair bit of battering due to the hard suspension, any other owners find this?

Otherwise a great car, so pleased I picked one up after all these years!

Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi David, and congratulations on your purchase ;-)

Oil - mine uses about a litre every 3K miles - 'normal' driving (ie very little track use)

Rattles - not sure on this one. Mine rattles very little c/w other cars I've owned, but if you're comparing it to say a newish BMW it may be different. Are there specific rattles you can locate?

Kurt

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

My '95 uses a litre in approximately 3-4000 miles, but it has had a new short motor. Many people report a litre lasting as little as 4-500, so don't be too surprised. Usually the check control bongs to warn you before it's actually used a full litre.

It can still use almost 1 litre in a weekend if I'm driving continually at high revs (specific example, 15 laps at the 'Ring).

Not really. Mine has 80,000 more miles than yours and cabin rattles are minimal. I certainly don't get any noise from the doors.
I did get quite a lot of noise from the back seats for a while, and then noticed I'd not quite refitted the rear seat back properly. You can check to make sure the trim is secure, but otherwise some rattles can be a bastard to find. Good luck!

Oh, and Welcome!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Mine hadn't used a drop of oil in over 4000 miles, but some cars go through it a lot quicker, although I understand this is nothing to worry about.

I think rattles are the luck of the draw. I drove Kurt's over Christmas and it seemed pretty much silent to me, whereas mine has a definite noise from the driver's door over rough ground...............and mine's done 1/2 the mileage!! Go figure!?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My last '95 I had from almost new at 5,000 miles, it was totally silent with no rattles up to 75,000 miles when I sold it, but used oil regularly. My current '95 has 180,000 miles on it, has 3 or 4 very annoying rattles and squeaks that I can't track down, but uses no oil at all between oil changes, go figure.... :3:

Oil consumptuion is largely down to how the piston rings are run in I think, the 'damage' is done in the first few miles and if they don't cut in properly and glaze the bores, then that's pretty much how they'll stay

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the replies guys, I'll keep an eye on the oil consumption and see how it goes. Think i'll look into some of the rattles too - the car's had paint on one door and i believe other dings were popped out by the Dentmaster brigade so they may have had the interior panels off. A nice weekend job beckons!

·
Registered
271 Posts
My 95 used about a quart every 1k miles when I first got it in the States at 60k miles. Car was running Castrol 20w50 dino oil from dealer fill in Germany. Ran that oil type for two more services before enough research convinced me to switch to the hideously expensive synthetic Castrol TWS 10-60. Over the course of half a dozen track days and now over 20k miles running this synthetic oil my consumption during normal driving is less than half a quart in 3k miles. I did resolve a tensioner leak during this time but I wouldn't have thought that would contribute to over half a quart of oil seepage. Anyway, real happy with the switch and the engine is much quieter upon startup and idle. So based on my experience I would highly recommend running a premium quality synthetic in this motor ie Castrol TWS, Mobil 1 or Redline.

Sorry but don't have experience with any rattles yet at 90k miles. If you can narrow it to the doors it could be the clips that hold the panels to the door frame that might have cracked/broken and the loose clip is allowing the panel to vibrate.

And yes, welcome to the M5 club!

·
Registered
191 Posts
1. Guys, do keep in mind that the e34 model was never the BMW known for the most quiet of cabins. Even the most pristine low mileage ones have a bit of cabin rattle, squeak, etc... Unless you´re talking about engine and transmission rattles, that´s a different story.

2. As to oil consumption, it´s a matter of how much time your engine spends above redline. For example, in my car, if I don´t accelerate above redline, its hardly consumes any oil. If I get aggressive and keep letting the needle hit 7200rpm, it will easily consume a liter in about 1,000 miles...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Agreed.

I always seem to be near the redline or high speed cruising above 5000 rpm.

I've been using 1liter of TWS 10/60 every 1300 miles or so.

I was advised by Munich Motors that our cars need a heavier oil and will put in Amsoil 20/50 fully synthetic at the next change. One of the other members recommended this and was on 1900 miles with out any loss to date.

Pepsmeister said:
1. Guys, do keep in mind that the e34 model was never the BMW known for the most quiet of cabins. Even the most pristine low mileage ones have a bit of cabin rattle, squeak, etc... Unless you´re talking about engine and transmission rattles, that´s a different story.

2. As to oil consumption, it´s a matter of how much time your engine spends above redline. For example, in my car, if I don´t accelerate above redline, its hardly consumes any oil. If I get aggressive and keep letting the needle hit 7200rpm, it will easily consume a liter in about 1,000 miles...

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
yewcorner said:
Agreed.

I always seem to be near the redline or high speed cruising above 5000 rpm.

I've been using 1liter of TWS 10/60 every 1300 miles or so.

I was advised by Munich Motors that our cars need a heavier oil and will put in Amsoil 20/50 fully synthetic at the next change. One of the other members recommended this and was on 1900 miles with out any loss to date.
The other member might just have a less oil-thirsty engine than yours - no harm in using another oil though, especially if you can get it cheaper than the TWS.

I'm currently using Silkolene Pro-R which cost me about £20 for 5 litres!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
I think rattles are the luck of the draw. I drove Kurt's over Christmas and it seemed pretty much silent to me, whereas mine has a definite noise from the driver's door over rough ground...............and mine's done 1/2 the mileage!! Go figure!?
I appear to have the same noise problem as you. Seems to come from just over my left shoulder.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My 200,000 mile 1992 3.6 uses very little oil.

Mine has absollutely minimal rattles and squeaks and I drive in London where the roads are bad.

·
Registered
970 Posts
where do you source the Silkolene from and what weight is it? At £20 for five litres it makes a lot of sense. The Amsoil comes in at around £42 for five litres.

Thanks

Brian

Mmm-Five said:
The other member might just have a less oil-thirsty engine than yours - no harm in using another oil though, especially if you can get it cheaper than the TWS.

I'm currently using Silkolene Pro-R which cost me about £20 for 5 litres!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
yewcorner said:
where do you source the Silkolene from and what weight is it? At £20 for five litres it makes a lot of sense. The Amsoil comes in at around £42 for five litres.

Thanks

Brian
I thought it was a 20w50/60 but checking reveals it to be a 15w50 which is perfect, not too heavy, and not too light!

I got mine last year from a aquaintance who works for them. I had to buy a box of 5x5L for £100 as that is the smallest quantity he could manage.

I got mine delivered to a track day he was attending so there was no delivery charge.

I've seen the RRP price of 5L range from £36 at Scoobynet, to £60 at Thieving Tweeks! So anything below £30 is going to be a steal!

I can see if he's willing to do it again, although I've still got 2 left.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Right, my contact says the price is still the same, i.e. £80 for 20L (4x5L) of 15w50 Silkolene Pro R plus about £20 postage as they do weigh quite a lot.

If you are interested then send me a private mail and I will give you his contact details.

There's nothing dodgy in this, it's just someone who works for Fuchs and gets them at cost and is willing to help his track day buddies out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My 1990 3.6L hardly uses any, even when I rag it unlike my E39 which drinks oil like it is going out of fashion. Cabin is noisy from my outside shoulder and thought it was just a loose door. It was not.

Pip

·
Registered
395 Posts
Wow.......that makes at least 2 'six speeders' in Aberdeen. I'll keep a lookout for you. What colour?

1) Oil use seams to vary but I'd say 2000 miles/litre with mostly town use. I use the Castrol RS 10/w60 which works well.

2) Surprisingly few rattles from mine! The auto dip mirror bracket rattles on occasions, there was a rattle from under the dash (fixed - loose immobiliser module) and there appears to be a BIC pen inside the screen vents which slides from side to side during hard cornering!! Can't figure how to get it out.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
ECM4 said:
there appears to be a BIC pen inside the screen vents which slides from side to side during hard cornering!! Can't figure how to get it out.
This is hard to explain, but I got a pen out of that gap recently as follows;

make a loop out of sellotape (sticky inside, not outside)
Hold the loop and try to 'fish' the pen out. It'll stick to the tape and pull it out.

If that doesn't work, it'll cost £50 to get it out, but you get a new windscreen...

·
Registered
395 Posts
AndyE said:
If that doesn't work, it'll cost £50 to get it out, but you get a new windscreen...
Andy,

Will try the tape but like the new windscreen option....never thought of it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts