BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been lurking around this forum for a while and I must say it is great and very informative forum.

However I have a specific question that I couldn't find any answer after searching.

I have been looking at a few M5, and the one of the 03 model I looked and I noticed that it seems that that is has some oil mark on the gasket between the intake plenum and the valvecover...... It seems like something leaking..

The car has never been in on accident and the mileage is pretty low as well 16.5K..

Can anyone explain what could be the cause and is it something to be concerned as well ?

Thanks in advance.

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone ..??:confused2 ouich
44 views and no replies ?

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
612 Posts
J Irwan said:
Anyone ..??:confused2 ouich 44 views and no replies ?
Hello Irwan, Sorry, I don't have any info for you. Hopefully the more experienced members can help. (I only replied so that you knew why you may not have had a response.)

Good luck. I am still searching for mine too.
Alfred

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
J Irwan said:
Anyone ..??:confused2 ouich
44 views and no replies ?

Regardz,

J Irwan
Oil leaks are bad.
Based onyour description of an "oil mark" it is difficult to say if this car has a problem.

It is under warranty- what does the BMW mechanic say about this?

How about a picture?

My guess is that the 44 reads were from folks reading and saying "how the heck can I know?"

A bit more info would help. (BTW, what are the details on the car? Someone here may have owned it or may already have looked at it...)

A

·
Registered
56 Posts
have the dealer look at it; but my 00' has what sounds like a similar leak but it is from the gasket and it not bad and the dealer does not suggest changing it at this time.hope this helps:M5launch:
J Irwan said:
Hi all,

I've been lurking around this forum for a while and I must say it is great and very informative forum.

However I have a specific question that I couldn't find any answer after searching.

I have been looking at a few M5, and the one of the 03 model I looked and I noticed that it seems that that is has some oil mark on the gasket between the intake plenum and the valvecover...... It seems like something leaking..

The car has never been in on accident and the mileage is pretty low as well 16.5K..

Can anyone explain what could be the cause and is it something to be concerned as well ?

Thanks in advance.

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ard said:
Oil leaks are bad.
Based onyour description of an "oil mark" it is difficult to say if this car has a problem.

It is under warranty- what does the BMW mechanic say about this?

How about a picture?

My guess is that the 44 reads were from folks reading and saying "how the heck can I know?"

A bit more info would help. (BTW, what are the details on the car? Someone here may have owned it or may already have looked at it...)

A
Specifically the gasket area round the crankcase breather.
I wonder if this is normal, as I used to own E35 325 and it also has a crankcase breather asually the area around it got a little dirty with oil residue and dust.... But normally it start to be visible around 50,000 miles...

The things that concerned me is the fact that the car still have 16.5K miles.

I didn't take any picture. But it seems to be consistent on both sides..

gilmores M5,
thanks, and do you clean this area often ? Or do you just leave it like that.....

Thanks for the reply so far.
If this is turn out to be normal, I am sure there are more people that have seen these, or maybe just haven't paid close attention yet.

I just like to hear more comment and input.

On another note, other than carfar is there any way to tell if the body panel as been replaced on e39 M5.. (I remember back in the old days of E36's each door, trunk lid, bumpers, fenders and hood, they all has little sticker with the VIN number on it, and if that sticker is gone then that means the corresponding part has been replaced).

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
56 Posts
no i don't clean it often, very little oil residue. i would think this is common on the m5, but i'm no expert. so i would get another opinion.:M5rev:
J Irwan said:
Specifically the gasket area round the crankcase breather.
I wonder if this is normal, as I used to own E35 325 and it also has a crankcase breather asually the area around it got a little dirty with oil residue and dust.... But normally it start to be visible around 50,000 miles...

The things that concerned me is the fact that the car still have 16.5K miles.

I didn't take any picture. But it seems to be consistent on both sides..

gilmores M5,
thanks, and do you clean this area often ? Or do you just leave it like that.....

Thanks for the reply so far.
If this is turn out to be normal, I am sure there are more people that have seen these, or maybe just haven't paid close attention yet.

I just like to hear more comment and input.

On another note, other than carfar is there any way to tell if the body panel as been replaced on e39 M5.. (I remember back in the old days of E36's each door, trunk lid, bumpers, fenders and hood, they all has little sticker with the VIN number on it, and if that sticker is gone then that means the corresponding part has been replaced).

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have an 03, and I don't have any leaks in this area or anywhere else. With the year and mileage, you should be able to have any leak fixed under warranty. If you're really interested in the car, you really should have it inspected by a trained mechanic. A good way to tell if the car has been repainted (needed if a door panel is replaced) is to look at the paint. If it's consistant, and has the orange peel look all around, than it should be the original part/paint.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I also have an 03 - with 18.8k miles. I have no leaks and have not seen what you are describing.

I agree - a picture or more info would help, or get the dealer to give you a statement in writing that it has been resolved.

It should not be there, as you correctly pointed out.

03BeastCharmer said:
I have an 03, and I don't have any leaks in this area or anywhere else. With the year and mileage, you should be able to have any leak fixed under warranty. If you're really interested in the car, you really should have it inspected by a trained mechanic. A good way to tell if the car has been repainted (needed if a door panel is replaced) is to look at the paint. If it's consistant, and has the orange peel look all around, than it should be the original part/paint.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i have the same problem and someone told me it could be the valve cover seals or something like that its normal wear and tear getting it fixed cost around $400

1 - 11 of 11 Posts