BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the M with 40,000 mile now has 44,000, 3 bars are showing on the dash. Should I change at 45,000 or wait for all bars to be lit?

Thanks

·
10,458 Posts
kencivic said:
I purchased the M with 40,000 mile now has 44,000, 3 bars are showing on the dash. Should I change at 45,000 or wait for all bars to be lit?

Thanks
the bars go out as time passes/ millage accumulates. You should check out the owners manual, or get one if the car doesn't have one, for a better description of the service interval indicator.

As for what you should do.... I generally change my oil every 5-6k miles, about half way thru the service indicator lights. BMW says it's ok to go 12-18k miles between oilchanges, but i feel better doing it more often. Do you know when it was last changed? From past experience, 3 bars can take a long time to go out, maybe another 8k miles or so.
Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Want to try something fun? Search for UOA (used oil analysis).

Around $20 a shot- tells you what is going on with the engine and oil. www.blackstone-labs.com

I was at 5k interval, but UOAs suggested 7500 was better.

A

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I change mine every 5k, cheap insurance! Especially if your planning on keeping the car a while.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I was at about 7500 miles when I changed my oil and my service indicator still had all 3 green boxes. A few miles after changing oil, it went down to 2 bars. I guestimate it won't be until 12,000 miles from the last dealer done oil change until the car tells me it's time for service.

·
Registered
377 Posts
kencivic said:

Thanks
As you'll probably see, most people change oil more often than required. $45 for the oil, $6 for a filter. Pretty cheap insurance.

I personally change mine fall and spring. That ends up being 5-6K.

Enjoy your beast!! :noSMG:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't over torque the drain plug. I've heard it's 18ft/lbs, but verify. After only 3 oil changes(all done by the dealer), they stripped the threads. They also admitted they don't torque.It cost them a new lower oilpan. I wonder if they cross torqued the pan installation?

·
Registered
377 Posts
831 streeter said:
Don't over torque the drain plug. I've heard it's 18ft/lbs, but verify. After only 3 oil changes(all done by the dealer), they stripped the threads. They also admitted they don't torque.It cost them a new lower oilpan. I wonder if they cross torqued the pan installation?
I had this happen on my '88 325is at a Jiffy Lube. I believe the pans are aluminum so they are softer than steel. The owner of the Jiffy Lube paid for a new pan, but said a steel insert could be put in that reduces the problem.

I used to change my own oil, but I guess I've gotten lazy. After the Jiffy Lube incident I now go exclusively to my BMW dealership, Ralph Schomp while I was in Denver and now, Bell Automotive in Newton, NJ. Both excellent dealerships.

$102.37 for the last oil service.

·
Registered
39 Posts
FredW said:
I had this happen on my '88 325is at a Jiffy Lube. I believe the pans are aluminum so they are softer than steel. The owner of the Jiffy Lube paid for a new pan, but said a steel insert could be put in that reduces the problem.

I used to change my own oil, but I guess I've gotten lazy. After the Jiffy Lube incident I now go exclusively to my BMW dealership, Ralph Schomp while I was in Denver and now, Bell Automotive in Newton, NJ. Both excellent dealerships.

$102.37 for the last oil service.
Here in Chattanooga I pay about $90.00 at the dealer.

Gary

·
Registered
371 Posts
Last Time I bought 10/60 at the dealer it was $15 per Litre! :eek:

FredW said:
As you'll probably see, most people change oil more often than required. $45 for the oil, $6 for a filter. Pretty cheap insurance.

I personally change mine fall and spring. That ends up being 5-6K.

Enjoy your beast!! :noSMG:

·
10,458 Posts
sjdennis said:
Last Time I bought 10/60 at the dealer it was $15 per Litre! :eek:

need to go elsewhere, 8.95/L is 'msrp', though many dealers mark it up, since they're the only game in town. farging bastages. :haha:
Mike

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I have always changed mine at 7500 miles. This half of the reccommended miles, but as others above have stated it is cheap insurance. My guess is that 10,000 miles would still be a reasonable number if you were not in harsh conditions and did not drive a lot of stop and go traffic.

Mark

btw; I have 52,000 miles on my MY01 and I had 9800 miles on my MY00 with no problems on either. Then again the problems would probably show with more miles any way.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
mottati said:
need to go elsewhere, 8.95/L is 'msrp', though many dealers mark it up, since they're the only game in town. farging bastages. :haha:
Mike
I just bought a litre of TWS at my local dealer $9.67/Litre plus tax

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I guess mine is pretty good on oil. I've had it for a day. I checked the stick a hour ago, and it is 1/2 liter down, and there are two bars lit on the dash. Oil still feels good. Lots of slip left. Tastes clean, etc. (old 'grampa taught me' stuff).

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Well as long as it still feels good and tastes clean, I'd ignore the lights...

:)

You may wish to understand topics such as oil usage & breakdown and the change intervals which the dash lights suggest.

A

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Hey, give the monkey a chance. The hindbrain likes to look at things too.

:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have 42K miles and changed the oil only twice. Once around 20K and once around 40K. For the first 30K miles I used to add about half a cort of new oil about every 2 months (1500miles). My car burned a lot of oil, so considering that in mind the oil remained pretty fresh.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts