BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow M5 fans. I owned a 2000 540i. I sold that recently and just last week I finally got my dream car. A 2001 M5 with 43,000 miles in excellent condition inside and out. I know you received many inquiries like this in the past but I would appreciate some help as I am new to this site. Atomic 80 recommended me to visit this site and that there are a lot of very helpful people in this site.

Anyway, everything in my M5 is stock. The M-Audio upgrade produces great bass, I am happy there, so I will be replacing only the front speakers with some Polk Audio tweeters and Boston Acoustics 5 1/4 coaxial speakers. I did this to my 540i as well and what a big difference in sound. My 540 had the Dinan Stage 2 Software, Dinan Cold Air Intake and Dinan Free Flow exahust. Happy with that too. Not too loud exhaust. OK, on with the questions for my new M5 and I would really appreciate some input.

1) What minor performance upgrades do you recommend? Should I go all Dinan again for software, cold air intake and free flow exhaust? I dont want anything loud.

2) What do you folks recommend for short shift kit? And how hard is this to do myself?

3) My car came with brushed aluminum sport interior trim. I prefer the wood trim. How hard is it to remove the trim? And does anyone out there want to trade my brushed aluminum trim for all wood trim?

4) I like the looks of cross drilled rotors and maybe replacing mine in the future. What rotors do you recommend?

5) My navigation system I believe is upgraded to Mark III (CD based) with split screen capability. How do I check my version of software? What is the benefit of upgrading the Nav software? Anybody out there would like to share the latest software version?

Thank you so much in advance.

Dan:wroom:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Welcome! Enjoy the M5!

You can find the answers...well, at least people's opinions...to all your questions by using the "search" function on this board. Try it out, it works great!

Have Fun :cheers:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Welcome aboard, Mate!

Very happy to hear of your 'upgrade' from the 540i and realizing your long lasting dream!

You raise a lot of good questions which no doubt can get addressed through a search, as our fellow members have suggested.

I have PM-ed you (Private Message) as far as the trim swap, would be game to do it. It is a very easy uninstall, so reply back if you are interested. Will gladly share my thoughts with you on your mod questions as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
776 Posts
I also had a '98 540i that I put many Dinan mods on which inlcuded the Vortech blower, exhaust, stage 3 suspension, Quaife diff and a short shift kit. Car was awesome except for the hot humid days which there are many here in NJ.

If you liked Dinan mods on your 540i, you will be amazed at what you can do via the S2 package. The benefits don't really come other than sound and minor performance gains until you get the headers. Then you will feel the difference. I have not had one problem since going the S2 route. Just lots of these :M5launch: with :M5thumbs:

I was in Cali last week on business and had time to visit the Dinan facility in Morgan Hill. Nice shop and lot's of stuff going on. I also saw two M5s getting the S3 kit done. I am not ready to go that route yet. My S2 is plenty fast as it is!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.