BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Japan, the M5 comes fully optioned and more like the Euro model than the US model.

I have my eye on 2. From the VIN number, the first one came out the factory in November 2007 (2008 Model). Has had 2 owners, currently 55k (kilometre so about 35,000miles) and the service books are there and seems like it has been pre-loved.
First drive, the drive shift seems to lag as it switches up or down gear. it's been in a car yard so not sure if it hasn't been run or the lag means something else.

Car 2: about a 10 months older (early) 2007 but 2007 model. 75k (kilometre so less than 50,000 miles). Service books etc seem also to be unloved. Haven't got to drive it as it not local.

I've read through the read the horror stories, but it's on my bucket list so.....

Hints, traps for new players?.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The 08 sounds better, it could just be that the you need to recalibrate the SMG ie hold both paddles for about 10 seconds at around 70kmh in Neutral....if I remember correctly.

What are these cars going for in Japan? I think Japan got 1364 cars (708 LHD, rest RHD).....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Jahangeer,

Thanks!

Both offer a fairly comprehensive 12 month warranty so I think worst case, they will pay for a couple of trips to the shop the first year. The car will be in Hokkaido which means snow (not unlike Sweden) for 4+ months a year.
The numbers dropped off dramatically after the Lehman financial shock so later models are thin. I specifically wanted the Interlagos blue with black leather which wasn't so popular here.
Price varies now from about US$30,000 (early models) to about US$ 55,000 (last of the line).
Excuse the Japanese but here's a link:
http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/13/700957196330141116001.html

Will update on progress.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yes, the japanese market vehicles are very well equipped with options, but you may want to use the VIN to compare the build sheet.

also may want to verify when LCI facelift was introduced in that market 2007 or 2008 ....

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, it's done. Going to take about 3 weeks for delivery with the usual visit by the local police to prove I actually have a place to park it (yes I do - 4 car garage with 2 spots still empty), as by law here you can't buy a car unless you have a place to park it.

This is the VIN WBSNB92000CY10365.

Will post some photos when I get it.

First thing to buy is snow tyres.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Congrats. The lag you experienced may have been normal. Did you attempt to adjust it? There is a button right by the shifter that allows you to set (5 settings) the shift speed - it defaults to setting 3. The SMG can take a bit of getting used to.
I would also suggest the recalibrate as a previous poster mentioned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts