BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all,

Great community of enthusiasts you have here.

I'm considering buying a used M5 to replace my 2004 VW R32 that I bought last year. Our family is growing and I need something with better access to the rear seats that my R32 offers. I'm not willing to sacrifice my need for an enthusiast vehicle, however, and that has led me to the world of the M5.

The issue that I have is that I'm wary of the possible reliability issues that would stem from buying a used M5 coming out of warranty. I have around $37k-38k to spend, so would likely be looking at a 2000 MY with at least 50k on the clock. From what I've gleaned reading around on these forums, there are some known issues that could get pricy -- clutch, VANOS, etc. Do you guys think it's possible to find an M5 in my price range that wouldn't need a new clutch within 2 years? Also, could someone detail the VANOS issue for me -- both technical description and cost ramifications.

There's an M5 coming for sale near me next week that I've just found out about that is covered by CPO warranty through next year. Although I'm sure that doesn't cover wear items like clutch and brakes.

Do you guys think it's possible to spend $37k-38k and get a 2000 M5 that's still in good shape and likely won't be in need of major repairs over the next few years of it's life? Also, are there major service items called for at 50k or 60k miles that I need to be aware of like timing belts or the like? (I don't mind spending a premium on basic maintenance items -- that's a given with this caliber of vehicle).

Thanks very much for your kind assistance, and happy motoring!

Here's a pic of my current ride, with Bilstein PSS9 coilovers.

Cheers!

Bates Marshall

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
Welcome to the messageboard!

I modified the attachment to your post as it was a bit of a modemkiller.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Bates,
Welcome to the messageboard! :thumbsup:

I think you will get a lot of great advice here- my 2 cents on the matter is this: BMWs are expensive to maintain. I don't know much about the pros and possible cons of the CPO program.

I do not know what it would cost you right up front- and it will depend on if you are the kind of person who has to have everything 100% right all the time (I am this way). In your place I would want to be comfortable with the concept that within the first 2 years to have to replace the clutch and maybe even tires/brakes. For the larger expense items, like the !engine! I would really look into some good aftermarket warranty that somehow dovetails along with the CPO protection, if you buy it through a dealer offering it as CPO. Thats just my gut feeling.

That said, I think you would really enjoy the M5. Your current ride is pretty sweet too! :)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Welcome...I'm a fellow member of the Vortex which I'd bet you are too. I had a modded Jetta...very fun car and easy on the wallet.
If you are worried about those large ticket items, just make sure you get a CPO'd car or even get an aftermarket warranty. Many will argue this point but I find the piece of mind worth it. Bottom line, you have options. The engine is strong and many have >50K miles on the car with no problems. If the car hasn't had a clutch replaced, figure on doing that immediately. See if they'll throw that in because it will go bad if it's never been replaced. If you do your own maintenace, you'll save lots of money. Make sure you've have your inspection II done before you buy too. Then start modding and have fun~

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi Bates-

Not only do I think you can get a MY00 M5 for that money, I think (know)you can get a MY01 for that. Heck, if you know a dealer or a banker or two, I bet you could squeeze an '02 if you were patient enough. Unfortunately for you, your buying an enthusiast car in an enthusiast state. Look here in the midwest or southeast. My experience when I found Ole Red was that these cars are a little difficult to sell privately just for the issues you mentioned. (out of warranty, VANOS, clutch concerns, etc) And after a while, a seller gets REAL motivated if he still has payments, not to mention insurance at 200-300 a month. If you buy it through a dealership you can attach an extended warranty to the car. This is where knowing a dealer comes in REAL handy. You would be shocked how much commission dollars are built into that extended warranty price. Also, your banker or credit union guy will have a list of repo's that MIGHT have an M5 on it. I know some of the ego's on the Board will insist the car is a "$80,000" dollar car, but just look around, with patience you WILL find the M5 of your dreams. Finally, I know someone on the Board has access to the manheim auction and can run the auction results for you. See where dealers (or their friends) are paying. And, Bates, they ARE dream cars. Would not trade it. (except for the new one!) Hope this helps!

batesmarshall said:
Hello all,

Great community of enthusiasts you have here.

I'm considering buying a used M5 to replace my 2004 VW R32 that I bought last year. Our family is growing and I need something with better access to the rear seats that my R32 offers. I'm not willing to sacrifice my need for an enthusiast vehicle, however, and that has led me to the world of the M5.

The issue that I have is that I'm wary of the possible reliability issues that would stem from buying a used M5 coming out of warranty. I have around $37k-38k to spend, so would likely be looking at a 2000 MY with at least 50k on the clock. From what I've gleaned reading around on these forums, there are some known issues that could get pricy -- clutch, VANOS, etc. Do you guys think it's possible to find an M5 in my price range that wouldn't need a new clutch within 2 years? Also, could someone detail the VANOS issue for me -- both technical description and cost ramifications.

There's an M5 coming for sale near me next week that I've just found out about that is covered by CPO warranty through next year. Although I'm sure that doesn't cover wear items like clutch and brakes.

Do you guys think it's possible to spend $37k-38k and get a 2000 M5 that's still in good shape and likely won't be in need of major repairs over the next few years of it's life? Also, are there major service items called for at 50k or 60k miles that I need to be aware of like timing belts or the like? (I don't mind spending a premium on basic maintenance items -- that's a given with this caliber of vehicle).

Thanks very much for your kind assistance, and happy motoring!

Here's a pic of my current ride, with Bilstein PSS9 coilovers.

Cheers!

Bates Marshall

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome to the board :byebye:

Generally, these cars are very well built. High mileage should not put you off either. The important thing in my opinion is to get one that has been well looked after. A gently driven 100000mile MY2000 car is better than a thrashed 50000mile MY2001/2 one.

M5s are not cheap to maintain (I just had Inspection II done at almost $2k), but they are very rewarding to drive. Lots of space in the back for kids too :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kcdoyle said:
Not only do I think you can get a MY00 M5 for that money, I think (know)you can get a MY01 for that
Hey thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm feeling much more encouraged. I just went out for a drive in the mountains around here to clear my head a bit. Too many options running around in there!

I would definitely consider flying to the mid-west and driving one home -- that's definitely not a problem, especially for a well-maintained model.

I really cannot think of another car at the moment that I'd consider for what I need. Four doors with actual room in the back seat, good power, great handling, and stick shift. Other options rattling around in my head are all sport wagons -- All Road, V70R, 540iT, etc. But we've got a brand new minivan coming (my company car) that I can pawn off effectively on my wife, so we don't really need a wagon, just something that's more accessible to the back seats.

So.......back to how I'd get my M5.
I've looked at AutoTrader and didn't see exactly what I thought I'd find. Any other suggested sources? I looked on eBay at the completed auctions and found 99% of them were not selling due to reserve price not being met. So how about some more tips? Recommended dealers? Has anyone seen one on their local dealer's lot?

Oh, and what does the clutch job run? $2k? What's an Inspection II? Don't tell me that's a $2k per-purchase inspection. Yowza!!

// Bates

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hi Bates, and welcome! You have found the right board. In fact, it was a member of this board that led me to my car!

A 2000 should be within the price range you mention. As someone else said, perhaps even a newer model, but be careful...in most cases you get what you pay for and M5s can be very expensive mistakes. For example, 2002s are coming of their leases with $47-49K residuals. From this, a seller will want a profit (plus alot more for a dealer-sold CPO car), so I'd be careful about "bargains" although no doubt they are out there.

Your success will depend in part how picky you are about the color and options on the car. If you don't care about these things or want a popular color (say black or silver) you will have less of a wait.

When I was looking I trolled auto-trader.com, cars.com, and the bmwusa.com web sites, as well as the "for sale" board on this very web site.

Good luck!

·
Registered
193 Posts
While wholesale auction pricing is the best way to gauge the market (add 1% for the auction house and $2000 for minimum mark-up to low retail), another quick way is to try KBB trade-in value using "fair" or "good" condition. This is what some dealers use to buy the car as a trade-in, so it is a decent "street price." Similarly, eBay has good prices. I think the idea that there are MY'01s selling for $37-38 is a little optimistic. As they say in Missouri, "show me," since cars for sale aren't exactly secret.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jaeger said:
I think the idea that there are MY'01s selling for $37-38 is a little optimistic.
OK, so with that it mind, what would I be missing with the MY 2000? I noticed that the nav screen looks different in the '01s. What else? Anything significant?

Is there a next Bay Area GTG planned sometime? Maybe I can crash the party.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
batesmarshall said:
I would definitely consider flying to the mid-west and driving one home -- that's definitely not a problem, especially for a well-maintained model.

I've looked at AutoTrader and didn't see exactly what I thought I'd find. Any other suggested sources? I looked on eBay at the completed auctions and found 99% of them were not selling due to reserve price not being met. So how about some more tips? Recommended dealers? Has anyone seen one on their local dealer's lot?

Oh, and what does the clutch job run? $2k? What's an Inspection II? Don't tell me that's a $2k per-purchase inspection. Yowza!!

// Bates
Hey Bates-

Welcome!

Couple 'o random thoughts.

If you cannot bid your time and wait for the best deal, you will- in all likelihood- not get the best deal. Many folks finally get 'the nod' (guys, we know what that is) and feel they have to close a deal in the next 3 weeks.

(How many posts have we seen where someone says "wow, wished I had waited- I paid XX for my 01 and this 02 just sold for the same thing...)

Monitor autotrader, cars.com, roadfly, ebay, etc, etc and get a sense of what the asking price is. From this board you can get an idea of lease trade in prices. You can get an idea of what mods are worth, what stuff to look out for, etc

I lurked here for a year, then shopped HARD for 4 months. Did I get the 'perfect deal' no- but most importantly I knew exactly where it stacked up.

One coment on the clutch: you ask 'is it possible to get a car which will not need a clutch within 2 years'.. the answer? Absolutely- just might not be the one you buy. The labor to replace it is the labor to inspect, so it is a crap shoot. I suppose a car with brand new clutch might be a safter bet - but this will severely limit your choices.

I personally feel an extended warranty is essential. CPO or aftermarket. If a car has any mods, be careful they were done right and make sure you know what impact this might have on any extended warranty.

have fun!

A

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
batesmarshall said:
OK, so with that it mind, what would I be missing with the MY 2000? I noticed that the nav screen looks different in the '01s. What else? Anything significant?

I don't think that there is a huge difference...more important are the miles and how well it was kept.

The things I noted when I was doing my research are:
1. Headlights and tail-lights are different; 2001+ models have the angel-eyes headlights and LED tail-lights.
2. 2001+ models have a thicker, more pleasing (IMO) steering wheel.
3. As you noted, 2001+ models have a wider NAV screen.
4. 2002+ models have automatic front headlights
5. 2003 models have a DVD rather than CD-based NAV system
6. There are some VANOS issues with some 2000s, and some require 10/60 oil rather than 5/30 (though some believe all should have 10/60)
7. The warranty, obviously; only 2002 and 2003s will have a resonable amount of factory warranty left, unless the car was CPO'd or the original owner bought the extended warranty option.
8. If you buy your car before its original maintenance agreement expires (3 yrs/36K for most, 4 yrs/48K for 2003), you can extend it yourself.

·
10,455 Posts
batesmarshall said:

Unfortunately, you just missed a lunch yesterday! we had a nice turnout too.
the 00 MY cars have the smaller nav screen, a slower cd based nav computer (mark2), a different steering wheel and the older style headlamps. All are upgradable, if and when you desire. (i've update most already, still back and forth over the steering wheel.)

As for reliability, my 00 car is just about to hit 60k, and beside some bugs that hit right after I purchased (cpo, by the way, lots of stuff was missed, including a slipping clutch), it's been a great, fun and dare I say, reliable car. It's my daily driver as well. An inspection 2 is a 'major service' which occurs somewhere between 55 and 60k miles. My local dealer quoted me $850, i did it myself with parts from the dealer for about $150ish, iirc. It's basically new filters, spark plugs, oil etc. Many will argue that a warranty is a gamble that the insurer will win, but i think the typical picky enthusiast, that knows what is covered, can make sure they make out ahead of the game. On my car, i had nearly $10k worth of work done (at retail dealer price) within the first 3-4 months that was covered under warranty (my car was actually under new car warrany still when I bought it.) It's been trouble free and puts a smile on my face every day ever since.
Welcome to the board!
Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mike -

We need to get hooked up as you must be right around the corner! I am off of San Miguel and Shady Glen Rd. I had really wanted to make the trip for karting and lunch yesterday, but had business in the Central Valley. I took my new 'Friday car' and ran off 250 miles down to Modesto and Merced. I have had the car for a little over a month, and it just continues to amaze me:)

As it relates to nice examples with the right miles, I looked for about 3 months, and ultimately found mine in Arizona, from an Arizona Republic ad that was on CARS.com. While I don't think I stole it, I bought it right, and am delighted with the vehicle. One owner, new clutch, new brakes, extended maintenance agreement, 34k miles. I extended the warranty through AAA (thanks M5 Board), for an additional 5 years, or 100k miles. I feel like all I have to do now is enjoy it!

They are out there, and patience is the virture that will get you the best example at the best price.

JR

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wake Champ said:
Yeah, I saw that one. Has significantly more miles than I'd like. I'd rather have 50-60k miles, but maybe that's optimistic.

I'm certainly not in a hurry. I was thinking of looking and keeping my eyes open for at least 4-6 months. When's the new M5 coming out? I was thinking that might drive some softness in the E39 M5 market.

Thanks a bunch for all the help guys! Enjoy your Sunday.

Regards,

// Bates

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am also in the market for an E39 M5 and have a 'friend of a friend' who has been supplying me with Manheim results since mid-December. It's interesting to see a car end up a few weeks after auction for about $5k over the auction price listed on autotrader. Also interesting are the few cars that get 'bid up'. My friend tells me these are cars purchased with specific retail buyers in mind, not just inventory the dealer is 'speculating' on. Please do remember these are wholesale prices, and your friendly dealer will be profiting for their risk taking and services. I am posting these for educational purposes only. I myself am not a dealer, and while I wish I could purchase at these prices, I too must pay a dealer for their services rendered.

<!--The following information was generated by Microsoft Office Excel's Publishas Web Page wizard.--><!--If the same item is republished from Excel, all information between the DIVtags will be replaced.--><!-----------------------------><!--START OF OUTPUT FROM EXCEL PUBLISH AS WEB PAGE WIZARD --><!----------------------------->
<TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed; WIDTH: 445pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=592 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 27pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1316" width=36><COL style="WIDTH: 47pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2267" width=62><COL style="WIDTH: 46pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2230" width=61><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><COL style="WIDTH: 58pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2816" width=77><COL style="WIDTH: 51pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2486" width=68><COL style="WIDTH: 59pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2889" width=79><COL style="WIDTH: 109pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5302" width=145><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2429802 style="WIDTH: 27pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" width=36 height=17>Year</TD><TD class=xl2429802 style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 47pt" width=62>Miles</TD><TD class=xl2429802 style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 46pt" width=61>Price</TD><TD class=xl2429802 style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 48pt" width=64>Date</TD><TD class=xl2429802 style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 58pt" width=77>Location</TD><TD class=xl2429802 style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 51pt" width=68>Condition</TD><TD class=xl2429802 style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 59pt" width=79>Color</TD><TD class=xl2429802 style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 109pt" width=145>VIN</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2001</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="48938">48,938</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="35000"> $35,000 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38335">12/14/04</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">HOBBY</TD><TD class=xl2429802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Below</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BLUE</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">WBSDE93471BZ99074</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2001</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="30379">30,379</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="41000"> $41,000 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38337">12/16/04</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">MANHEIM</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BLUE</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2001</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="29348">29,348</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="43200"> $43,200 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38338">12/17/04</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">W PALM</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">SILVER</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2001</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="36484">36,484</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="38600"> $38,600 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38338">12/17/04</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">W PALM</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">LEMANSBL</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">WBSDE93461BZ99292</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2001</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="29854">29,854</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="42750"> $42,750 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38343">12/22/04</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BAY CITI</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">IMOLARED</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2001</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="33367">33,367</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="40000"> $40,000 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38358">01/06/05</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">RIVRSIDE</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BLACK</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2001</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="43378">43,378</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="37800"> $37,800 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38363">01/11/05</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">FAAO</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">WHITE</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2001</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="33167">33,167</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="42400"> $42,400 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38364">01/12/05</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">ATLANTA</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">SILVER</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">WBSDE93481BZ97625</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2001</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="53980">53,980</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="34000"> $34,000 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38365">01/13/05</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">CINCINNA</TD><TD class=xl2429802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Below</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BLUE</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2001</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="6646">6,646</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="42400"> $42,400 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38371">01/19/05</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">W PALM</TD><TD class=xl2829802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BLACK</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2001</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="49454">49,454</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="36250"> $36,250 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38372">01/20/05</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BAY CITI</TD><TD class=xl2829802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">SILVER</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2002</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="22088">22,088</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="43000"> $43,000 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38336">12/15/04</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">ATLANTA</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">SILVER</TD><TD class=xl2929802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 109pt" width=145>WBSDE93402CF91403</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2002</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="33906">33,906</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="45750"> $45,750 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38343">12/22/04</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BAY CITI</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">STERLGRY</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2002</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38280">38,280</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="45250"> $45,250 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38357">01/05/05</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">MILWAUKE</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">SCHWARZ</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2002</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="29589">29,589</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="45250"> $45,250 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38358">01/06/05</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">RIVRSIDE</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BLUWATER</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2002</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="20908">20,908</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="46000"> $46,000 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38363">01/11/05</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">FAAO</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BLACK</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2002</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="32941">32,941</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="46800"> $46,800 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38364">01/12/05</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">ATLANTA</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">CARBON</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">WBSDE93422CF90284</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2002</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="46288">46,288</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="42300"> $42,300 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38365">01/13/05</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">MANHEIM</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BLUE</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2002</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="52214">52,214</TD><TD class=xl2629802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" x:num="38600"> $38,600 </TD><TD class=xl2729802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38365">01/13/05</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">ATLANTA</TD><TD class=xl2429802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Below</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BLACK</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2002</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="12946">12,946</TD><TD class=xl3229802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="48200">$48,200 </TD><TD class=xl3129802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38372">1/20/2005</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">GTR TMPA</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">SILVER</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2002</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="21759">21,759</TD><TD class=xl3229802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="45800">$45,800 </TD><TD class=xl3129802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38372">1/20/2005</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">W PALM</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">LEMANSBL</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2002</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="30614">30,614</TD><TD class=xl3229802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="46500">$46,500 </TD><TD class=xl3129802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38372">1/20/2005</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BAY CITI</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BLUWATER</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2002</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="35562">35,562</TD><TD class=xl3229802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="46250">$46,250 </TD><TD class=xl3129802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38372">1/20/2005</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">BAY CITI</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Avg</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">TITNSLVR</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" align=right height=17 x:num>2002</TD><TD class=xl3029802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="49916">49,916</TD><TD class=xl3229802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38800">$38,800 </TD><TD class=xl3129802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" align=right x:num="38372">1/20/2005</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">GTR TMPA</TD><TD class=xl2429802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">Below</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">RED</TD><TD class=xl2529802 style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none"> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
<!-----------------------------><!--END OF OUTPUT FROM EXCEL PUBLISH AS WEB PAGE WIZARD--><!----------------------------->

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Bates,

First off, Welcome. second, you have found THE PLACE for information on the M5.

This being said, I think you will need a bit more money for a good example of an M5 of the model year of at least a 2001. You might get a MY00, but if I were in your shoes after owning both a MY00 and MY01, go with the MY01. There is nothing the matter with MY00, you would just see the most improvements between those years and perhaps a lower mileage car as well.

Purchase out of your state. I lived in S. CA. when I purchased both of my cars and there are better deals to be had outside of CA. I'll bet you could get a very good deal in the snow belt region right now!

Happy hunting,

Mark

·
Registered
193 Posts
FabianG said:
I am also in the market for an E39 M5 and have a 'friend of a friend' who has been supplying me with Manheim results since mid-December.
The autospies buying service will buy you a car at auction for 3.5% of the wholesale price, plus 1% goes to the auction. They even do a cursory inspection for you.

I have had some of the used car lot guys offer to buy me a car at auction for $2500. Just ask them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts