BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm Dave. New owner of a 2006 E60 M5 SMG (MAR 06 so cheaper road tax!) Came across from my 06 E92 335d which I still have but am trying to sell. Have come to the decision that I need a more family orientated car. Managed to convince the wife that a 5 door family saloon will fit the bill. The went and got an M5. :devil
Had been searching through the forums for a few months finding out about the M5's and doing my research on common problems etc until i decided i was ready to buy.
Was on my way from Northern Ireland to view/pick one up from London when the owner rang me and told me it had thrown up the three warning lights and had just suffered ABS Pump and DSC Control Unit failure. So I told him to stuff it. And i thanked him for taking up my time and travel costs. In an appropriate way of course....
Found another one the same day that fit what i was after. Essentially I wanted it Interlagos Blue with Silverstone Grey Leather interior. Wanted one in that exact colour since they came out. I was happy enough with an absolutely bog standard one with no extras as even then it still has the same luxuries my 335d had and that was plenty.
So.. I went and bought the second one. It was £1000 cheaper than the previous one so i was happy. It is however, a project car. On looking over it I can clearly see it needs plenty of work. The wheels are horrendous and need refurbishing. No big drama really. The previous owner has destroyed the paintwork in an attempt to polish it. you can tell he has burnt the paint all over with a rotary polisher! Again, nothing I can't fix. The interior is worn and quite frankly it's filthy. Nothing I can't fix. The final point of concern is that the previous owner told me a trolley had been pushed into it at a car park and the bumper was split. On closer inspection you can clearly tell he has had a smash in it. The bonnet is ever so slightly bent, can actually be fixed easily enough as there is no paint damage to it. The more concerning part of it is the chassis strengthening beam (aluminium) is caved in, almost completely split in half. Grrrrr. I have already bought the part to replace it but the bumper also needs replacing. This has taken up the £1000 cheaper that it was to the other one. Hey ho... lesson learnt. In all fairness, i saw all this before purchase and took it on at risk. The car drove perfectly fine in all modes and settings when i tested it so I can't complain.
The most annoying part is that after i bought it i took it 1 mile down the road to fuel it. When i turned it back on...... 3 lights of semi-death. Got taken back to NI on the back of an AA truck. BMW repaired the car, it cost me another £1500. (Throttle actuators). Not the best start to owning an M5, but I know what i'm taking on.

A lenghty introduction I know, but if there are any other owners nearby that want a get together then get in touch.

As for the miracle, i've just come back to England from Northern Ireland to visit family. My first big trip in the M.... and this happened....

21.5mpg. So it can be done!!!!! (albeit with the wife driving with a total ban on using the M button. Bit of a step up from her 1.2 corsa you see LOL)
The car was showing 7mpg when i got it!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Enjoy your new Beast!! The pleasure of pressing the M button on a stretch of road is the best feeling ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Should have bought the one with the faulty abs pump ;)
I'm just in the process of reinstalling my abs pump, got it rebuilt with ecu testing for £300 with a lifetime warranty.

Enjoy the beast and the maintenance, I hope you enjoy getting your hands dirty. I do...

How many miles had the car got on it? Do you know if the rod bearings or cutch / flywheel have already been done?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car in London had done 79'000 miles if I remember correctly. The one i bought has done 80'000. Not really sure on service history with the one i've got. Few thousand in the bank ready though!!! The London one had apparently had a new clutch/flywheel fitted a matter of months ago. My one had a new clutch 15'000 miles ago. I will be upgrading it when i change it anyway so not too bothered. I am very mechanically minded despite it not being my profession and I tend to do all my own work, aside from the electrics/coding in. I'm not sure if either of them have had rod end bearings replaced or even checked. I cannot see any signs whatsoever that there is a problem though. Once I have had the bumper replaced in the new year then I will be taking it to BMW for a full service and health check anyway. Hopefully they will be able to tell me of any faults.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Congrats and enjoy it every moment you can. 21.5mpg is decent.

A question, out of curiosity, on UK mpg - the UK gallon is 4.5liters, whereas the US gallon is 3.785 liters - am i right?. Is your 21.5mpg 21.5miles per 4.5 liters? If so, this would be about 18mpg in the US.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4.5l per gallon. Equivelant to 17.9mpg US.

I don't drive the car too much to be honest. The odd drive for fun and the odd longer trip heading to see family over the year. So mpg isn't my main concern. It was never going to beat the 335d that's for sure...

·
Registered
355 Posts
The car was showing 7mpg when i got it!
That means the car was hammered before you picked it up. Every time I took mine out for some spirited driving - ~8 mpg (US) would be the norm. The average mpg normalized quick after some "normal" driving. I guess the previous owner was saying "goodbye" to it.

17.9 US mpg - is normal, or slightly worse than normal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That means the car was hammered ........

17.9 US mpg - is normal, or slightly worse than normal.
I have no doubt that the character I bought it from hammered it. I also fully understand the guy earned pittance and he was basically selling it because in no way could he afford to even run it, let alone maintain it. Hence it's a project car that i will be doing some work on to show it some love. Once my 335d is sold I will have a few thousand spare in the bank which I am hoping to fix the bodywork and paint then do some engine work on it. Throttle actuators are good and BMW have done a health check on it in the meantime and said they think its fit and healthy as it is. But I am all for the preventative maintenance. Hopefully it will last until next year before any VANOS/SMG issues show up. I'm confident I can look after the car, always letting it warm up (wasting a ton of fuel in the process but hey ho....) always driving it steady for the first few miles and occaisonally pressing the M mode to give it a good run and clean it through, make sure its all used to working right. My biggest concern mechanically is the clutch. If it lasts until the end of next year I will replace it with a sports clutch and a lightened flywheel kit. I would love to put a full exhaust system but I don't think i could ever afford it and I refuse to modify the orignal kit so it can be put back to standard. I'm more of a perfectionist to be honest. the car has to be perfectly looked after in its best condition. I'd love to extract the signature F1 type noise form it, intake kit and exhaust but I just don't want to devalue it any further! I'm holding onto it as a potential long term investment! (although the mileage goes against it for this!)

I believe 21.5mpg UK is really really good? Up until today I was averaging 13mpg UK.

·
Registered
218 Posts
21.5 mpg is good in the UK, best I had was 22-24mpg on a drive to wales.

Personally I would not trust BMW with my car.... e60 M5's are getting rare and not many of their mechanics have a level of experience I would require to leave them my keys. Oh, then there's the overpriced parts they try and sell you.... F**k that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
AmstaffM5
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing