BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Let me preface by saying, if you don’t have anything nice to say, please leave it unsaid...

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. FULL BLOWN. I’m sorry to the board and all of Germany for defacing and disgracing the BMW namesake.

Now that I have that out of the way, let me fill you in on the short term plan.

Planned performance/maintenance items for 1/20 with cost...

-baseline dyno(no tuning) at BREN Friday 1/10. Stock with Corsa “sport” axle back mufflers only.

-RMS Jet Hot coated catless headers $1600
Gaskets $130
-MEGAN Racing catless section 1 with X pipe $540
(Ryan and I are hoping to work on a group buy for a RMS 1-2 exhaust in 2020)
-Macht Schnell Underdrive crank and power steering pulleys $295
-K&N 69 Series Typhoon CAI’s $413
-BREN TUNING dyno and tune $1000

My goal is to get a stock baseline and see what basic bolt ons with a tune will yield. 500whp would be great...

Maintenance items...

-ACL STD/.001 rod bearings $302
-ARP Rod bolts $310
-OE Oil pan gasket and hardware $85
-VANOS line with gaskets $175

I was on the fence with the VANOS pump and I’ve ruled against it. My friend who lent me his 06’ years ago had been the service manager at BMW. He had 155k when he sold his daily M5 with stock EVERYTHING but clutch which he did as maintenance at 70k. At $2800 cost to me, I’ll see what happens. I’d HATE to have the car FORCE me to stroke it....

The baseline dyno will be 1/10 and the parts install will be 1/18 with any carryover wrapping up 1/19. Then I will schedule the follow up BREN tune for the end of the month.

I replaced the headlights due to this....

....but still have an adaptive error. Time to break out the laptop. Atleast the car won’t burn down or leave me without lights.

The LAST 2 things left to fix are the passenger weight sensor(I want it right!) and the adaptive headlight issue.

Thanks to Ryan for being so awesome with communication and such eye candy(RMS work, not Ryan!). Pre Jet Coat shot from 7pm on the Lords day!!!

Stay tuned....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I realize I’m not breaking any new ground on a 15yo car but it’s a “new” platform to me(and all the other 3-4-5th owners out there).

Got around to installing the intakes today. Really happy with the quality and cost effectiveness. The Efren intakes would have been my preference but for $1100 less, I’m happy.

If I have time I may tackle the pulleys tmrw. Just a few less things to do next weekend....

Meanwhile, in Mexico...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Happy for your enthusiasm buddy, keep us posted. Btw pretty good numbers on stock , is this DynoJet?
I would get rid of the Typhoons right away, had a friend with those and it`s proven they don`t work so well, sorry to say that, but they suck a lot of hot air from the engine bay.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Happy for your enthusiasm buddy, keep us posted. Btw pretty good numbers on stock , is this DynoJet?
I would get rid of the Typhoons right away, had a friend with those and it`s proven they don`t work so well, sorry to say that, but they suck a lot of hot air from the engine bay.
Mustang Dyno.
I should have just bought K&N drop in filter in hindsight. My goal is to be supercharged by the summer but we’ll see....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Updating notoriously worn items in the interior. Got these today. Climate bezel should be in this week. ECS had great pricing!
1BA16A1B-B0A4-4B67-B752-FF56AD0A91F9.jpeg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
The big day was yesterday! My brother in law and I started at 10am and finished about 11pm. We took our time, had lunch, dinner, beer....

Main mission was rod bearings and Vanos line but additionally we did all the bolt ons as well. RMS Decats, underdrive pulleys and 1-2 exhaust section mates to the existing Corsa Sport mufflers.

We opted to leave struts/knuckles and such on the car. This was at the 2hr mark.

I am very pleased to say no oil leaks or surprises!!!!! The rod bearings and crank journals looked great! 76,162 miles. No copper, no hot spots or blueing. Overall EXTREMELY happy. I ended up going with ACL .001 STDHX bearing to get the clearances I desired.

With the subframe out the headers were extremely easy and took about 45mins per side...

Ready for the subframe to come back...

I’m tired and my neck hurts! Lol BUT we got a marathon of M5 fixes and upgrades done in one day! Realistically the bearing would have been about a 5hr job. The reassembly was much faster than I anticipated!

A big thank you to my Brother Bernie “Beans”! We had fun and were a fine oiled machine for the most part. Another big thanks to Ryan at RMS! I had such a perfect experience and have a world class header option for a fraction of the cost!

The car sounds just as good as I hoped😍 Definitely F1 sound with a very tolerable cabin volume off of the skinny pedal!

Next up, BREN tune and we will find out what cost to WHP ratio was achieved!

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
427 Posts
The big day was yesterday! My brother in law and I started at 10am and finished about 11pm. We took our time, had lunch, dinner, beer....

Main mission was rod bearings and Vanos line but additionally we did all the bolt ons as well. RMS Decats, underdrive pulleys and 1-2 exhaust section mates to the existing Corsa Sport mufflers.
View attachment 934810

View attachment 934809

We opted to leave struts/knuckles and such on the car. This was at the 2hr mark.
View attachment 934811

I am very pleased to say no oil leaks or surprises!!!!! The rod bearings and crank journals looked great! 76,162 miles. No copper, no hot spots or blueing. Overall EXTREMELY happy. I ended up going with ACL .001 STDHX bearing to get the clearances I desired. View attachment 934812

With the subframe out the headers were extremely easy and took about 45mins per side...
View attachment 934813 View attachment 934814

Ready for the subframe to come back...
View attachment 934815
View attachment 934816

I’m tired and my neck hurts! Lol BUT we got a marathon of M5 fixes and upgrades done in one day! Realistically the bearing would have been about a 5hr job. The reassembly was much faster than I anticipated!

A big thank you to my Brother Bernie “Beans”! We had fun and were a fine oiled machine for the most part. Another big thanks to Ryan at RMS! I had such a perfect experience and have a world class header option for a fraction of the cost!

The car sounds just as good as I hoped😍 Definitely F1 sound with a very tolerable cabin volume off of the skinny pedal!

Next up, BREN tune and we will find out what cost to WHP ratio was achieved!

Stay tuned!
Got lazy and didnt read the whole thread. What section 1 do you have? I dont like my oem units - the diameter gets reduced after the flange connecting to the headers. Pretty jeaulous with your lift there btw. I will be doing this with the quick jack when ACL bearings hit 60k.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts