BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, what a great board with tons of info. I am new to the "M" world but not new to BMW's. I have a unique situation and would appreciate any help you fine folks could give.

I recently purchased a 2000 M5 with 52k on the clock. I am a US service member stationed in Germany and the car was advertised as US spec. When I first saw the car I noticed many euro spec details (ie euro trunk lid, rear fogs, etc.) I also noticed that the car had appeared to be converted (DOT headlights, speedo in MPH) so I did a CARFAX on it. The report showed it was imported in 2002 through Charleston, SC and was titled in Florida later that year. From what it looks like, the car was sold there to another military member who then returned to Germany with the car where it was sold again... I purchased it after owner #3.

Since the PO did not try to bring it back to the states, he had no paperwork to back up the import, and now I am faced with the task of finding how to get these records. The car had no EPA compliance badge or DOT sticker to certify it complies. I absolutely love this car, and never want to sell it, but if I am faced with having to "re-import" a car through an RI that has already been converted, I will relunctantly do so in favor of a new M3

Does anybody out there have any advice or possible leads as to how to track this info down. My only guess would be to try and track down the RI who did this, but there are 48 or so in the US that could have handled it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Seems to me that at least one of our members was stationed in Germany fairly recently but I'm afraid the name escapes me.

Try re-titling your post appropriately to garner his attention "Anyone owned an M5 while stationed in Germany" or the equivalent.

I seem to recall he said a few folks on base had them so even if it isn't his he might be able to help.

d-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The edit feature would not allow me to re-title. I pretty much know the process for importing the car, but I am trying to avoid it by proving it was imported once already. Does anyone have a good contact in the DOT or Customs?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I think your car may belong to a former member of the board. This, in turn, would likely mean he would have the paperwork you need.

d-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts