Registered
13,638 Posts
Frisker vs. Bangle - no contest I think :grrrrr:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At least the Sox got something back! BMW got nothing back :mad:

Thankfully no one has put a curse on BMW. I was always a little worried about the engineering on the DB9 and it seems that concern has been confirmed in the reviews of the DB9. BMW still has great engineering. On the other hand, what doomed the Red Sox to 86 years without a championship was not a curse, but it was bad management. I don't think BMW's management is bad right now, but I wonder about several of their recent decisions...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Nice article. I'm afraid Fisker's design philosophy seems pretty much directly opposite to Bangle & Team. Consider:-

"Its lineage is clear. While essentially a new car, the DB9 is an evolution of the DB7, which owed its inspiration to postwar Aston Martins."

Bangle & Team won't be looking back in time for design cues and can certainly forget about clear lineage. They are avant-garde with that convex/concave cuts.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that might be too simplistic, but I also think theres some truth to that. However, don't think Fisker or any good designer does not pay attention to how light plays off a shape. Also have a look at the shut lines on the DB9- compared to the E60, its a masterpiece. The lines are kept to a minimum and are done so they do not break up the styling.

·
Registered
816 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
I think that might be too simplistic, but I also think theres some truth to that. However, don't think Fisker or any good designer does not pay attention to how light plays off a shape. Also have a look at the shut lines on the DB9- compared to the E60, its a masterpiece. The lines are kept to a minimum and are done so they do not break up the styling.
Fair point. I'm no designer. I simply takes what comes to my eyes! I love the DB9 shut lines, they flow. It's a real pity the 6 series is not near it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
i like the db9 and amv8. i like mr fisker's designs.

but what is up with those cars looking almost the same as a vanquish? there was an episode of Top Gear showing all three side by side.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe AM asked him to do this. They wanted a strong family resemblance. Just like AVH designed the 7 to look a certain way, under the request from his higher ups.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The choice between continuity and creativity will hit different people in different ways just as with traditional vs. modern design. Bangle's avante guarde designs did not sit well with many/most traditionalists. It will be interesting to see, say in a decade, whether these become classics or an abandoned stylistic sojourn.

Tom

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont think a designer makes strategic decisions like which companies to acquire. Don't know on the other part.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The current AM range along with the soon to be released AMV8 are truly some of the most beautiful cars ever designed/made. They may all be 'extensions' of the DB7 in a way, but that car was/is considered by many to be perhaps the most gorgeous car ever made.
I think it's wonderful that AM are keeping all three of their lines of cars closely adherent to one another; after all why ruin perfection?

History will be extremely kind to designs like the current AM cars. In 20-50 years people will look at one and just realise how perfect they are/were. The same will NOT be said of the current BMW range. All history will note is how soon BMW were forced to abandon 'flame surfacing', and all of the other trash Bangle somehow managed to convince the BMW board to sign on to.

·
Registered
816 Posts
thebishman said:
?
History will be extremely kind to designs like the current AM cars. In 20-50 years people will look at one and just realise how perfect they are/were. The same will NOT be said of the current BMW range. All history will note is how soon BMW were forced to abandon 'flame surfacing', and all of the other trash Bangle somehow managed to convince the BMW board to sign on to.
That's interesting. Will history judge only from an aesthetic viewpoint in years to come and not remember the engineering? I'm just curious about that. We believe the M5/M6 are better engineered cars, at least from a drivers viewpoint. Pity the engineering may not have the historical recognition. I guess that's mainly becasue a future critique knows that the engineering has been superseded, and so ignores the engineering, whereas the body of a great design remains a classic.

·
Registered
241 Posts
thebishman said:
The current AM range along with the soon to be released AMV8 are truly some of the most beautiful cars ever designed/made. They may all be 'extensions' of the DB7 in a way, but that car was/is considered by many to be perhaps the most gorgeous car ever made.
I think it's wonderful that AM are keeping all three of their lines of cars closely adherent to one another; after all why ruin perfection?

Isn't it that AMV8 the Zagato? If not mistaken AM has a long association with the Italian design firm of Zagato. Well to be honest Italy is still the main source of inspiration for car designs in Europe. Remember that the M1 was also designed by Giorgio Giugiaro.

The DB7 is the same as the Jaguar XK which was Ian Callum's creation. The Vanquish and DB9 are Fisker's.

It may be wise to add some Italian flair to BMW design at later stage.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe the Vanquish was Callums.

I personally agree with Bart- the BMWs will look like flavor of the month styling when we look back. BMW designs have endured because they always made sense. I'm not so sure these will. It might be like looking at an old Porsche 911 vs an old Porsche 928. The engineering will be memorable, but it will be surpassed.

As to the nationality of design- do you know who is responsible for the gorgeous new F430? An American! Yes, the same guy who did the Mini. Frank Stevenson (sp?).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts