BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for the information!

You got any idea yet what to do?

Selling stuff like the Vanos units,throttle bodies,plenum,...of the blown engine should give you already 1.5-2k$ to invest in another engine....

I would try to source another engine(contact tradin1) and sell the use able bits of the old engine to refinance the disaster a bit..
This is great advise!
Sell your DINAN stuff and get her back on the road again!:applause:

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Thanks for the information!

You got any idea yet what to do?

Selling stuff like the Vanos units,throttle bodies,plenum,...of the blown engine should give you already 1.5-2k$ to invest in another engine....

I would try to source another engine(contact tradin1) and sell the use able bits of the old engine to refinance the disaster a bit..
Let's say I didn't want a full turn-key engine, and instead replace the broken parts. What does it look like I'll need?

Short block, heads, pistons, etc?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Full bottom end,most likely heads as well....

If you get the parts and assemble the engine,calculate about another 1.5k$ for stuff like gaskets,bolts,chain guides,rod bearings,....

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Let's say I didn't want a full turn-key engine, and instead replace the broken parts. What does it look like I'll need?

Short block, heads, pistons, etc?
you replacing broken parts will turn into replacing literally your entire engine. you cant reuse those piston rings, bmw piston rings are stupid expensive, machine labor will be involved now. bmw rings will be roughyl $1500, CP piston are 1500. but you cant use CP pistons with stock block because of the coating so now you have to buy sleeves. so another $2k is tacked onto the bill. then random stuff is about another $2k.

you are already at 5k for the engine, with the only advantage being it will be stronger then the original. i dont think you have enough experience to mess with something like that.

your 2 options for poison are, sell the car, or buy a complete engine. you can salvage some money by selling the good pieces from your engine, but even then you still wont get much, maybe a grand or two at most. but thats a grand or two less you have to spend. so you could get another engine for 5k, maybe get 2k back.

or you sell the car and move on.

there are no alternatives, this is a cut and dry matter.

and lulz at "how do we prevent this", why does everyone on here think everything can be prevented, its a machine, things go boom, accept it. if you could "prevent" everything then there wouldnt be a thing called mechanics, or repair shops.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Saw this on Seattle's CL yesterday. Not mine.

bmw m5

Maybe you can get a good deal on it and save your car.
Thanks for all the help, guys. I'm pursuing every option in terms of sourcing an engine. However, at this point, I'm leaning towards parting the car out... I'll make a final decision this weekend, so look out for that thread!

·
Registered
295 Posts
You willing to sell your coil overs?

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Thanks for the interest guys, but the car is tentatively sold (along with all the aftermarket goodies). I'll let everyone know if anything changes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
"...if you could "prevent" everything then there wouldnt be a thing called mechanics, or repair shops."

BINGO! Or doctors, lawyers, graveyards and prisons...

·
Registered
19 Posts
RockD - I am local. PM me if you have not yet sold. Thx. Ray

81 - 94 of 94 Posts