BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I can't help you with the S52, but if you need help with your Xbox, let me know!! Far easier to fix the Xbox than the M5.
My one victory yesterday was fixing the xbox. I ended up baking the motherboard at 500 degrees F for 5 minutes to reflow the solder on the GPU and CPU. Came out yummy :tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
To me, this is more disturbing than rod bearing failure. That is something we have some control over and based on our collective knowledge, R&R every 60k miles or so is not so bad. But a wrist pin letting go (if that is what it turns out to be) is a lot scarier. How do you do preventive maintenance on that??

Any of the S62 gurus, please feel free to chime in!!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
580 Posts
The snap ring theory doesnt seem right. There is very little side to side force on the wrist pin. In theory none.
Wouldnt be the first time I was wrong tho.

Oh, and I just got the "...carve the # in the side of the cylinder..." joke. That is good.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
rockd,

Glad you had some success with the Xbox, I do them a bit differently, but glad yours worked. Fixed many Xbox, PS3 & Wii!

So thinking about the top of the block breaking, I am wondering did that cylinder swallow a valve or break a valve somehow, then the piston/rod broke??

I doubt you lost a rod bearing here??

Wonder if the piston skirt broke and the piston got wedged in the cylinder??

This is sad and scary stuff.

Hope your year works out better than it started!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
11001407803 -- MSRP is $23,095.90, Tischer BMW's price is 18,476.72. You'll have to pay a $2000 core charge also. Probably makes more sense to just buy a low mileage 2003 M5, maintain it as a premier garage queen and then switch over to it when your current car eventually dies. Of course if you do this, you'll probably see 250k miles, like Tranck, on your current car, and it won't die.
This is Eilenberger's Law of Spares - You always need what you don't have. The converse law being you never need what you *do* have.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
My suspicion is rather that the piston stopped suddenly...

The pin can break out then of the piston...

But only disassembling the engine would reveal more...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
To me, this is more disturbing than rod bearing failure. That is something we have some control over and based on our collective knowledge, R&R every 60k miles or so is not so bad. But a wrist pin letting go (if that is what it turns out to be) is a lot scarier. How do you do preventive maintenance on that??

Any of the S62 gurus, please feel free to chime in!!

Regards,
Jerry

Easy. You don't.

You simply cannot legislate for every single failure on any car.

No matter how reliable, there will always be someone who's had whatever you're thinking of fail on their car.

Sometimes you just have to put it down to bad luck.

Yes there are undoubtedly common issues with the E39 M5 but sometimes it pays to step back, suck in some air through your teeth and just say "sorry about the loss dude, its just one of those things that pretty much never happen"

If we dissected every single failure of a component of another owner on here, we'd all be riding around in ground up rebuilt cars down to every nut and bolt.

Just be glad that instances like this are very few and far between and you are unlikely to experience such first hand.

To the OP, bad news dude, hope you get it sorted out with minimal outlay. Good luck

·
Registered
424 Posts
Oh boy, that makes my stomach hurt quite a bit......

·
Registered
33 Posts
First of all I feel sorry for you dude, Hope you can recover from such impact.

I have a hard time not to cry when watching E.T

But to see this I cryed my eyes out and almost had a heart attack.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
If we dissected every single failure of a component of another owner on here, we'd all be riding around in ground up rebuilt cars down to every nut and bolt.

Or maybe in a Prius!:dunno:hiha
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
450 Posts
Wow, sorry to see/hear

This is depressing, two members cars gone in one week? Sorry for your loss, hope you end up with a reasonable resolution and a new beast.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
So so sad!

Hope you get another engine and keep her especially after all the work and money you put into her recently.

Got to admit a weird result on a catastrophic failure and I hope you get an answer as to why

Good luck with whatever you do:byebye:

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Thanks for the information!

You got any idea yet what to do?

Selling stuff like the Vanos units,throttle bodies,plenum,...of the blown engine should give you already 1.5-2k$ to invest in another engine....

I would try to source another engine(contact tradin1) and sell the use able bits of the old engine to refinance the disaster a bit..

61 - 80 of 94 Posts