BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
rockd,
Ok, that is a sad sight indeed. Not a good way to start the New Year. This type of failure should never happen cruising at 85.
Could you shed a little light on the history of your car. Total miles, tracked, regularly redlined, average fuel economy, that type of stuff. None of those things are bad, in my opinion. But it may help shed some light on what others can expect depending on how they drive their M.
The rods, pistons, and clutchs on these cars do not give me confidence.
I wish I could tell you something definitive, but there isn't anything. 127k miles. I drive the car with purpose, but I don't beat on it. I'm a fanatic about cars, so I take VERY good care of them. Tons of preventive maintenance, etc. Just my luck, I guess :crying2:

Your engine is a Dinan S2 without the Dinan velocity stacks and cams,right?
That's right. Dinan MAF's, Dinan intakes, Dinan mufflers, Dinan stage 2 software, Dinan strut bar, Dinan SSK - it's what they call the Dinan S Package.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Very sorry to see this. A rare form of catastrophic failure for the S62. Good luck to you salvaging what you can and getting back on the road soon. PM Tradin1 and see if he can hook you up with a replacement engine.

--Peter

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Can anyone explain why all the coolant poured out when this happened? It was mixed with a bit of oil, but not much. Most of the oil was probably burned off at the initial point of failure...

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Can anyone explain why all the coolant poured out when this happened? It was mixed with a bit of oil, but not much. Most of the oil was probably burned off at the initial point of failure...
Probably cracked a water jacket in the block when the piston/rod combo was jettisoned.

--Peter

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So now that it's a new day: anybody in the Boston area with an S62 engine?

I'm also going to put the car up for sale as-is. If someone's interested, then great... if not, I'll replace the engine. Link to follow.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
It broke a water jacket,as Peter said.

My guess is you will not get much for the car as is....
If you do want to sell it as is,would sell the Dinan stuff separate.

Get in touch with tradin,good chance he can help you with an engine!

·
Registered
585 Posts
would it be worth sending dinan an email and the photos..they might help or as a dinan shod m5 like to advise.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Wow. Very sorry to hear of this happening. [sarcasm] Great way to start the new year. [/sarcasm]

Best of luck in managing a fairly affordable fix.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I've been there and it's quite a blow.

On the brighter side, time to make lemonade out of lemons. It's a great opportunity to make your beast better than ever since it has a bunch of improvements/upgrades already done.

Hope your 2011 goes much better from now on....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I've been there and it's quite a blow.

On the brighter side, time to make lemonade out of lemons. It's a great opportunity to make your beast better than ever since it has a bunch of improvements/upgrades already done.

Hope your 2011 goes much better from now on....

21 - 40 of 94 Posts