BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to do a muffler delete. I also have to put a new clutch in. I wondered why not put in a new x-pipe when I have to drop that for a muffler delete. Yes, I know the resonators make a big difference so I was thinking about a x-pipe that has resonators in it, like Rogue. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm fairly certain that doing an X-Pipe with the muffler delete will make your car overly loud.... better check noise bylaws etc and make sure you aren't going to be breaking any laws.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Nascar loud, if you like that sort of thing..... There are several members who run like that. M55555 does......

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah no mufflers and no resonators is WAY too loud. I like the muffler delete sound with the factory resonators I just wondered if it possible to get a higher flow X pipe with some sort of resonator on it that would sound similar to a stock resonator.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would advise you to keep the stock resonators if you do remove your mufflers. If you do decide to remove the stock resonators, replace it with aftermarket ones.

Straight pipes from the cats are just too loud.
Yeah, I agree. Maybe I wasn't asking the right question the right way. ouich

Does it do me any good to replace the X-pipe and have aftermarket resonators put in if I do a muffler delete? Is there a weight savings? Are aftermarket resonators similar in sound without a muffler behind it? Thanks for helping me straighten this out..

·
Registered
301 Posts

Does it do me any good to replace the X-pipe and have aftermarket resonators put in if I do a muffler delete? Is there a weight savings? Are aftermarket resonators similar in sound without a muffler behind it? Thanks for helping me straighten this out..

No one to this day has done that so I'm sure its safe to safe that there is no benefit. The Benefit would be achieved if you went for a full exhaust kit (headers, cats, x-pipe, mufflers) most likely.

Just do the muffler delete you'll love it, I turn many heads with mine and to be honest some people feel they're too loud. My family has told me they can hear me for a few blocks away if I'm really gunning it on a quiet night. I wonder what they'll say after i have my SS headers installed :D

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I have decided to do a muffler delete. I also have to put a new clutch in. I wondered why not put in a new x-pipe when I have to drop that for a muffler delete. Yes, I know the resonators make a big difference so I was thinking about a x-pipe that has resonators in it, like Rogue. Anyone have any experience with this?
The X-Pipe will aide in reducing sound by equalizing both pipes. Now, with a resonated X-Pipe like the one on the Rogue and Tubi system (Torquey5 has these), it drastically reduces exhaust dB levels. I can speak from experience that no resonator + no muffler is not for most drivers, it IS loud. At this point, I am running SS headers, Magnaflow free-flow resonators, and no mufflers. It sounds less loud, yet deeper and more refined than no resonator + no muffler did.

What I would recommend is if you want to add an X-pipe from a performance standpoint, you can do so along with the muffler deletes. Just don't delete the resonators just yet. If you feel the sound is still too quiet, then remove the resonators and replace them with an aftermarket resonator (the shorter the resonator length the less sound deadening it will have).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I'm fairly certain that doing an X-Pipe with the muffler delete will make your car overly loud.... better check noise bylaws etc and make sure you aren't going to be breaking any laws.
Adding an X-pipe to our exhaust systems (without removing any other part) will not dramatically increase sound. If anything, it might decrease it a bit. The resonators and mufflers are where the sound deadening really occur. Removal of each one at a time will yield an increased level of sound.

Yeah no mufflers and no resonators is WAY too loud. I like the muffler delete sound with the factory resonators I just wondered if it possible to get a higher flow X pipe with some sort of resonator on it that would sound similar to a stock resonator.
Yes, you can either have your exhaust custom make you an X-pipe or purchase a Magnaflow X-pipe and aftermarket resonator to add in place of the stock resonators. The stock resonators are very heavy, and do a great job reducing sound.

Please see this thread here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...agnaflow-mufflers-resonators-sound-clips.html

Both him and I are running Magnaflow 10416 resonators. They do a great job reducing sound and giving a good midpoint in sound level that falls between no resonator and stock resonator.

No, you asked the question correctly. Yes, you can replace the stock H-PIPE with an X-PIPE, and add aftermarket resonators in place of your stock resonators, followed by the muffler deletes at the end of the system. You will see weight savings in excess of 50lbs+ IIRC. Aftermarket resonators will reduce sound based on how long the resonator is. The longer, the more it will reduce sound. So, if you feel that the stock resonator is TOO quiet, and resonator delete is too loud, aftermarket resonators is right in the middle.

No one to this day has done that so I'm sure its safe to safe that there is no benefit.
Incorrect. Member "Torquey5" has muffler delete + Tubi Resonated X-pipe. Check out his previous threads for sound clips. Sounds quieter than my car when it had no muffler + no resonator, and a bit louder than a car with stock resonators + muffler delete.

Just do the muffler delete you'll love it, I turn many heads with mine and to be honest some people feel they're too loud. My family has told me they can hear me for a few blocks away if I'm really gunning it on a quiet night. I wonder what they'll say after i have my SS headers installed
True story. If your family is like mine, they'll pretend they aren't home when I drive down the block. ;)

·
Registered
2013 X5M
244 Posts
I actually went with the Vibrant 1140 series resonators, The "ultra quiet" series, So I will put those in place of the secondary cats, with x pipe and stock resonators as well as a muffler delete.

I'm hoping it sounds pretty deep.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I actually went with the Vibrant 1140 series resonators, The "ultra quiet" series, So I will put those in place of the secondary cats, with x pipe and stock resonators as well as a muffler delete.

I'm hoping it sounds pretty deep.
If you want it to be deep, you'll HAVE to remove the stock resonators. They really do dampen a lot of sound. Also, what are "secondary cats"? What you'd have to do to get deeper sound, yet keep the sound level down, is OEM Cats --> X-Pipe --> Vibrant Resonators (in place of stock resonators)--> Muffler Delete. There aren't any "secondary cats" in our system unless you're referring to the stock resonators.

Either way, do this: OEM Cats --> X-Pipe --> Vibrant Resonators (in place of stock resonators)--> Muffler Delete and you'll get a nice deep sound, without it being obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
2013 X5M
244 Posts
Sorry to confuse you this is on my 740i, I already have cat's in the headers. Sorry, lol.

So, on my system, its like this... stock cats, vibrants, x-pipe, stock resonators, delete. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts