BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So my windshield first started with a tiny hit from a rock off of a semi then as I drove through cold weather it split twice from a drive from LA to SF. Now I have a big L shaped crack in my windshield and need it replaced. I called around and they said that the only vendor for new windshield's for my car is from BMW because I have a rain sensor and a Heads-Up-Display which requires a special glass to work. I called BMW and they quoted me 607.3 plus tax and labor which is another 700 or so thus totaling my new windshield replacement cost at $1500!!!

I called a shop to have them call BMW and they could only get 20 bucks knocked off so they quoted 590. I know I can get the windshield installed for much cheaper than 700 but does anyone know where I can get another windshield with a rain sensor that works with the HUD for cheaper?

HELP!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
My 2005 530i (E60)had a HUD and rain sensor, so basically the same windshield as the M5, and my windshield got damaged by a rock from a gravel truck on the interstate. I called SafeLite and, although they had aftermarket windshields, they told them I wanted BMW glass so they ordered the windshield from BMW, got it in two days, and installed it in the parking lot where I work. They did a fantastic job, and I had absolutely no problems with wind noise or water penetration. It only took him about 45 minutes to install it. It didn't look like he needed any special tools, just these giant suction cups to lift off the old glass and put on the new glass, and I suspect those are used in every installation.

They said it would have cost around $1000, but because it was deemed a "safety issue" my insurance paid for it and I didn't even have to pay the deductible.

Here is thier link:

Windshield Repair and Auto Glass Replacement - Safelite AutoGlass

I live in Florida, but I am not sure which states they service.

-Dave

·
Registered
190 Posts
Most insurance covers glass under comprehensive. Mine didn't even charge a deductible when I used a company they recommended. SO call your insurance company and ask ....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to a shop the other day and the guy said that there was no difference in the glass between the HUD version and the non HUD version as they both still reflect the HUD. Can someone confirm this? Thanks

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I was told that there was a difference. Had to replace mine a while back and had it done by my local dealer but used my insurance and paid a $500 deductable.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My wife used to own a glass repair shop. She says that for the most part there is no difference in glass EXCEPT (!!!) that the HUD are often showing up sort of double vision. Any glass shop should tell you that there is no difference and you should save the money, but their profit margins are higher with their after market glass.

Bottom line:
Call around to various glass shops (skip Safelite - They will only install their own glass) and ask them to quote you for genuine BMW glass via insurance claim. If they say they can't do it, keep calling until you find someone who will. Check their reputation too. Your local BMWCCA chapter's forum may help with that part.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I went to a shop the other day and the guy said that there was no difference in the glass between the HUD version and the non HUD version as they both still reflect the HUD. Can someone confirm this? Thanks

From what I remember, the Safelite guy said his aftermarket glass company said that as well. But when he checked with BMW, there was a different part number for windshields for cars with HUDs compared to cars without.

I think the best thing to do is to get the BMW HUD glass. It's only an extra $500 or so, which seems alot..... but you will be looking through that glass every time you drive the car. If it isn't right, it will ruin the driving experience for you.

(skip Safelite - They will only install their own glass)
That's not true. Safelite ordered and installed BMW glass for me in my office parking lot. They were pleasant and didn't argue when I said I wanted genuine BMW glass.

·
Registered
190 Posts
They did the same for me ... So I'm not sure what its typical but I told the Insurance company I wanted BMW glass and it was still 100% covered.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thumbs up for Safelite, they did a great job for me in the office parking lot. Took 2 hours, OEM glass. They know what they need to order for an M5.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts