BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,672 Posts
Tin said:
yep, even dinan's s3 system, is pretty much a bolt on, no internal engine work required.. so in essence 600hp should be feasible..
Tin ... YOU are mostly correct about the Dinan Supercharger SC-3 Kit being Bolt-On and that Dinan will NOT Dive Into the internals of the M5 engine, (Unless you want their New Intake and Exhaust CAMS ... BUT ... As part of their SC-3 (Supercharger - 610hp) package they also add or include Headers, Larger Throttle Bodies, Different Tuned Velocity Stacks ... aka Trumpets, A New High Flow Ram-Air Intake, Dinan Stage 6 Software and the Free-Flow Exhaust System. They also include BUT probably does NOT directly add any Horsepower BUT will add Torque ... Is the Lighten Flywheel with a High Performance Clutch and the 3.45 Differential.

Dinan STRONGLY recommends that the Rear Subframe be reinforced due to the added torque of their Supercharger Package.

BTW ... Has anyone at CA-Auto mentioned why type of BOOST (PSI) they were looking at that would be omptimal for the M5 motor? What and where and HOW would they COOL things down in theri system?

Somehow ... Supercharging our motors doesn't really seem like a Do-It-Yourself on a sunny afternnoon type of "Bolt-On" modification!!

Just my .02

· Registered
1,672 Posts
BTW ... Has anyone asked ... Our oem S62 motor has 11:1 compression as it comes from the factory ... After adding 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 PSI of BOOST ...

How does SC this S62 motor effect the already high compression of this motor?

Will this motor come apart at the "Seams" under Full Boost without lowering its compression ?

· Registered
1,672 Posts
Re: roy and beastpower

EMPEROR said:
hello, roy as per our conversation yesterday. i would like to be one of the first buyers of your kit. i understand that i have to go thru beastpower to obtain this kit, but will i still get the intro price and in the same time as others buying directly from you? empe
Empe & Roy:

Will Beastpower ALSO install ... or make ALL arrangemenbts for the above described CA-Auto: Supercharger Kit to be installed?

IF the CA-Auto: Supercharger Kit is pourchased via Beastpower along with the optional warranty ... WHO ... Meaning which company handles any and all warranty claims ... Beastpower or Ca-Automotive?

Roy ... Can answer my question regarding the S62 Compression (11:1) as asked a few threads prior? I see that you somewhat answered it with the following:

"this is a low boost pressure application , no need to de compress the engine"

What is the recommended Maximum (psi) BOOST or New Boost Range for this system? At this NEW MAXIMUM (psi) BOOST Level ... Would there be a NEW compression level? If so ... what is that New Level as compared to the oem's 11:1 ?

Roy ... You said: "Please note we are unable to provide a kit or parts for subframe strenghthening but can provide alink to such info"

Can you provide us NOW with the link that you are referring to so that we may begin to do our DD ?

Many Thanks!

:cheers:

· Registered
1,672 Posts
Foxy:

According to your pictures ... You must've decided against installing your X-Pipe. I'd strongly suggest that inspect the OEM flimsy Rear Sway-Bar Brackets. I'd bet upon close inspection you will find a hairline crack ... especially on the passenger side. After you discover that crack ... I assume that's when you'll upgrade to HEAVY DUTY Brackets.

· Registered
1,672 Posts
Tin said:
hmm.. having an older car wins again! (presumably).. older cars have aluminium cover as opposed to plastic :p still makes it worthwhile going for a CF variant :wroom:
Hmmm ... Older means How Much Older?? Checkout this link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=11_2669&hg=11&fg=40

According to this ... The Upper and Lower Plenum changed as of 12/1999.
Since that date of 12/1999 ... ALL the Plenums have the same Part Number ... Which I would take as they are all the same. They are as follows:

Upper plenum until 12/99 11 61 1 407 045
Upper plenum from 12/99 11 61 7 831 262

Lower plenum until 12/99 11 61 1 407 386
Lower plenum from 12/99 11 61 7 831 265

I spoke with Dave Belknap at Gault BMW and He confirm the above as being correct.

· Registered
1,672 Posts
rogbacon said:
Roy it was a custom fabrication by one of Discovery Automotive's afiliates - I believe they made 10 units, but not sure whether they have been sold.

My understanding is that Bryan's cracked perspex was replaced immediately by a thicker version which has been fine since.

Roger
Roger:

I believe that EuroBahn also makes a Carbon Fiber Upper Plenum cover for the E39 M5. I know there is a company here in Los Angeles (Merridian) that carries their product. I believe that the CF Upper Plenum runs about $1700 USD and it will accept the Dinan Front Strut Bar.

· Registered
1,672 Posts
rogbacon said:
Thanks Ed - looks good, but very pricey!
I recall a couple of years ago, Beastpower was trying to develop a CF Upper Plenum for the M5 for around $1,000 ... Needless to say ... It never materialized.

If you do a quick search, I am sure that you can find various discussions on it.

· Registered
1,672 Posts
Roy:

So far I like what I see.

Do you happen to know if the designers of the system will be eliminating the 2 Foglights ... OR ... Have they been able to accomplish a Workaround and get enough outside airflow without eliminating them ? ?

In regards to the Outside Airflow ... this question might be a little pre-mature ... but ... Since it appears that the 2 Air Filters will be approximately inline with the Far Left & Right Openings (Foglights) in the Front Bumper Cover ... What type of preventative device has been designed to protect the Air-Flow Route and ultimately the engine from the ingestion of foreign materials ...i.e. Water (puddles) ... Debris (leaves, paper) ? ?

Again ... Congrats on the way you've been keeping us all unformed. We all understand that you can only pass on the information IF YOU HAVE IT ! !

· Registered
1,672 Posts
CA Automotive said:
update :

The foglights will still be usable if required
- whe have played with everything from " AC Schintzer type " fornts total closed to wider open designs and all fits well .

We will provide a modifed plastic bracket that allows air to come in beside the foglight , there will also be a black mesh piece priovided to prevent debris from entering.

regards
Roy:

Which of the TWO provisions mentioned-above will prevent Road WATER or Water Puddles from hitting the Air Fliter and possibly being sucked up into the motor ? ?

· Registered
1,672 Posts
CA Automotive said:
LATEST NEWS :

M5 S/C is really starting to work well now, new injectors fitted and mapped in and power level are where we were hoping . The only thing bothering us just now are the
intake temps that we need to take down further .

The current intercooling is insuffient for +20 degrees outside temp combined with highspeed/revs driving .

Also some minor upgrades to the piping has been carried out , following latest testing , as basically the OE' stuff we used (as in previous photos) is not reliable enough.
We will make an aluminium/silicon version instead.

On wednesday PBMW Mag. is passing by to take some photos and have a testdrive, then the car is going into the garage again to solve the problems above.
(we will make tests with both A/A intercooling and upgraded W/A intercooling)

Also the copyprotection ECU boads have arrived and seem to work fine, we are now setting up the hardware needed to be able to program and distribute mapped ecu's. thanks
Sounds like it's coming along nicely.

All good things in all good time ! ! ! :M5launch:

· Registered
1,672 Posts
Jerry:

I believe that all the HP numbers CA has quoted so far have been Rear Wheel HP. To the best of my knowledge, CA-Auto has NOT removed the motor from this M5 in order to obtain Flywheel HP Numbers.

Any flywheel numbers that have talked about here has been using the basic foundation of the "Poor Man's Tech Rule." That would be anywhere from 15% to 25% Drive Train Loss! ... Depending on who you are talking to! I suppose it also depends on whose Dyno You are using. :)

· Registered
1,672 Posts
CA Automotive said:
hi gs

I would love to claim that the BHP figs are at the wheels , but alas they are corrected flywheel figures . We were hoping for around 600 bhp , but we are settling on the lower figure in the interests of reliability and being able to bolt on the kit without need for internal modifications. Still , +150 ish bhp over stock is not too bad I think considering price and bolt on nature , would you agree ?
thanks ... release of kits within 14 days if all goes to plan :wroom:
That sort of sheds a little light on things.

Please ... I have a few appropriate questions:

#1) In case I missed it in this long thread ... -->>
What make and model Dyno are you using ??

#2) Did you DYNO this car PRIOR to any work being done to it?
(Hopefully you did to get a true baseline)

#3) If the answer to #2 is YES ... What were those numbers ... Both RWHP and Your Mathematical Flywheel Assumption Numbers ?? If No ... Too Bad !

#4) In achieving your latest Dyno Numbers ... -->>
Did you try to create an artificial Ram-Air Effect with FANS or some
other means? If YES ... HOW did you create that effect ?

#5) Since YOU arrived at your "Flywheel" assumption numbers "Mathematically"
... Can you please walk us through those steps how it was arrived at ?

So far ... It looks real good. Congrats :wroom:

· Registered
1,672 Posts
CA Automotive said:
The aa kit is due out in approx 5 weeks so we hear. As always active are carrying out full R and D and testing on their conversion before release.

As you all know ( or should ! ) active's products are of awesome quality and engineering, highly recommended to anyone; yes we would say that anyway I guess as active's exclusive UK dealer , but it is true nonetheless. :biggrinbounce:
Good to Hear ... And the COST ??

Is it about the same as CA Auto's Kit ... Of course, After SUBTRACTING the VAT and then the conversion from Sterling to US Dollars ??

· Registered
1,672 Posts
CA Automotive said:
sorry but we have no idea on cost of aa kit as yet.

Installation at actives workshop actually makes a load of sense as they willkno wthe kit inside out and this will almost definately actually save you money in the long run.

Also in the unlikely event there is a problem then you can take it straight back to the designer AND installer of the kit for the best and speediest resolution possible. Otherwise there will always be doubt as to whether the "other installer" carried out the work 1005 correctly.
Sounds a fine and well BUT ... Many ... about 60% of the e39 M5 registered owners reside OVER 3,000 miles away (ONE Way - 6,000 miles r/t) from AA's facility. In MY Case ... The only way it makes sense to me is to have a Local West Coast (greater Los Angeles area) Bimmer House do the Install. It really makes No Sense to either drive or ship the car across the USA (back 'n forth) just to find out that there is a problem with the car runs.

Do you have a better or more viable Suggestion?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.