BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm currently in the market for an e60 M5 and am relatively new to the M5 forum, but I've been in the BMW community for over 10 years. I wanted get all of your better judgement as to what I should be expecting as far as maintenance and repair on an vehicle like the M5. Also are there any good aftermarket warranties that I can purchase in CA that will cover failures in the SMG and the VANOS?

Any kind of input or advice for a newbie like me would be great, I'm very close to purchasing a 2006 M5 with roughly 34,000 miles on it. Just wanted to see what all of you have experienced as far as routine maintenance and when should i expect the pricey repairs to start taking place.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would only get the car with an extended warranty. Overral these cars are very reliable. With any car you will have your issues at times, but your extended warranty should cover the fix minus your deductible. The car is a gas guzzler, but you have to pay a price for riding a beast like an M5. Good luck with your purchase, and post pics when you get some time.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
As previously posted WARRANTY is most important and the "correct" warranty that covers the SMG...
. Do yourself a favor, (and us)...Please use the search function.....and if you do go to a newer year stay away from a stick...just my personal opinion....

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Hey guys,

I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm currently in the market for an e60 M5 and am relatively new to the M5 forum, but I've been in the BMW community for over 10 years. I wanted get all of your better judgement as to what I should be expecting as far as maintenance and repair on an vehicle like the M5. Also are there any good aftermarket warranties that I can purchase in CA that will cover failures in the SMG and the VANOS?

Any kind of input or advice for a newbie like me would be great, I'm very close to purchasing a 2006 M5 with roughly 34,000 miles on it. Just wanted to see what all of you have experienced as far as routine maintenance and when should i expect the pricey repairs to start taking place.

Thanks in advance guys!!!
Despite the fact that the M5's value has dropped significantly and you can find M5's in the high 30's, you must realize this is a $100K performance vehicle (borderline exotic, if you ask me), and the repairs and maintenance costs reflect that and those prices have not dropped at all.

Granted, you can do things yourself if you feel comfortable and are somewhat mechanically inclined, and this will save you a lot of money (brakes is probably the biggest thing here). Oil changes are expensive at the dealer, but considering the oil itself is extraordinarily expensive, you are still paying well over $100 to change the oil even if you do it yourself.

Also, the M V10 burns oil (it seems to vary quite a bit as to how much it does burn), but BMW considers 1 liter every 800 miles as normal. The oil costs roughly $15 a quart (you can find it cheaper from certain places), so be prepared.

I would highly suggest an extended warranty, as the rough costs of a new motor are $30K, new transmission being 8-12K (SMG), etc. You will be much happier you have it at the end of the day.

A new clutch for the SMG is roughly 4K, and since the SMG controls the clutch, and not you, it can be hard to tell if it's going out. It'll probably just go "poof" one day, so you'll have no warning.

Also, in regards to transmissions, you'll have a choice of a 6 speed or an SMG. The respective owners will always insist that whichever one they own is better. In the end, this comes down to personal preference. We have an SMG, and I'm pretty sure we'd get an SMG again if we did it over. However, this is not to say the 6 speed isn't fun. I can imagine having a third pedal and a stick is oodles of fun with this motor. However, the car WAS designed with the SMG in mind and the 6 speed does have the limitation that it overheats after 15-20 minutes or so of spirited driving and puts it into limp mode (I should clarify that the transmission is really fine and far form actually overheating but the car is overly sensitive in this regard and goes into limp mode). BMW says this is normal and will not change anything.

Good luck in finding the perfect car. I would say in most cases you'll be happier if you hold off and find exactly what you want, even if you pay a couple thousand more.

I would highly suggest you go online, download a copy of the owners manual, and read it through. It will familiarize you with many of the features of the M5 that make it an M5. Any questions that the manual doesn't answer can usually be found by doing a simple search. If you post a question about every little question you have we'll just continue to add to the already countless, repetitive threads that all ask questions like "electronic dipstick?" "HUD necessary?" "what are ventilated seats?"

Reactions: Dntlvet

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all your pearls of wisdom, it was very helpful getting your perspectives on the car. it added even more credibility seeing as your own the same car i'm looking to purchase. I've done a few searches on after-market warranty and haven't found anything CA specific? Would the dealer be a good place to start looking around at? could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance gentlemen!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts