BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys been a guest for quite a while now and i have finally taken the plunge and joined:hihi: . Iam currently driving a 98 750iL v12:D .Its brilliant, but i want MORE:haha2: .In my pusriut for luxury and performance i was persuaded by my local dealer to take out one of there M5's..Bad idea lol lol. Iam now hooked the acceleration and noise this car makes is phenomenal.:M5launch: ok i know that this is prob a question that has been rinsed out by now but i am now lookin for an M5 to suit me and my budget, what should i look out for and is the BMW warranty all what it has cracked up to be..Thanking you in advance.

Maz

Keep up the good work this forum is the dogs preverbials :haha2:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Warning! By starting to do M5 homework, you are getting ever closer to the point were there is absolutely no going back... :blink:
For starters, spend some hours on researching this board... it is so easy, before you know it, it will be 02:00. Then shop around as an informed buyer and drive a few M5's. You'll get a sense of gradations in finish (ie, interior/exterior wear) vs. price to spot a better deal. I drove about half a dozen before deciding on mine. They all drove about the same (as they should), so it came down to the small stuff, like curb rash, scuffed leather, color combo, etc. Go CPO. If not, be real careful about all the accessories working properly (climate control is a common problem for the e39s) and price a 3rd party extended warranty. Of course must do homework on the vehicle history.. not just CARFAX, but service records. I wouldn't go near an M5 that I didn't know anything about. Line up your $$ plans in advance, so if you come across a good prospect, you can negotiate with some leverage on closing quickly. Finally, if you are on a budget, don't be afraid of 00's. If you do your homework, you won't be disappointed! Just a few thoughts. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
maz750 said:
:M5eyes: thanks ashok..seen your car in the photos, its really nice if you could change any thing what would u change and why this is open to the board :M5rev:
I added Milltek exhausts which are the best mod ever IMHO. Other than that my car is mechanically stock. If I were to keep the car longer I would have considered a short shifter and maybe a chip.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Welcome!!! :1:
I would say you have the bug and you better get your finanicing squared away!!!
I would strongly encourage purchasing a BMW CPO vehicle, as hasa been suggested many times here. It is not a fail proof gaurantee, but they check the major things and then BMW is giving you the warranty on many major items. I would also encourage looking for a good extended warranty.
I was willing to travel 400+ miles to purchase mine. So, I pulled up all the vehicles thru BMW.com under the certified section and looked at what was avialable, then compared that with what was for sale at autotrader.com and cars.com.
The hard part is finding the color and interior that you want, there were only 16 m5 for sale in 200+ mile radius from Washington DC, and only 2 with LeMans Blue and Silverstone interior. I was able to get mine from a BMW dealer CPO'd until 3/2008, with 46,000 miles 2002 for $49,000 taxes,tags, everything. They had replaced brakes,oil change,brand new pilotsports and no paint work. For sure have the paint panels checked, they should run between 3.6 to 4.5 on the depth gauge, higher than that and its been painted.
In closing all I can say is that I just knew after looking for several months that this was the vehicle for me. lovelove So, I wish you the best in your search's and if you ever have questions just post them, somebody will have an answer!! :flag: Just another idea, maybe your dealer can get what you want and certify it from auction and 03 will probably be coming up off lease soon!!! :cheers: Take care! :wroom: :flag:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be lookin to purchase my M5 at the end of august early sept that is wahen i have allowed time for my quest :M5rev: Whats the big issue with the clutch guys dont see why it is such a problem could somebody please shed some light on the subject and please give advice on how to keep the clutch in goo working order.:flag:

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
maz750 said:
I will be lookin to purchase my M5 at the end of august early sept that is wahen i have allowed time for my quest :M5rev: Whats the big issue with the clutch guys dont see why it is such a problem could somebody please shed some light on the subject and please give advice on how to keep the clutch in goo working order.:flag:
I think the main thing is driving habits. If you drive the car hard (some will argue as it was intended), the stock clutch is not as robust as one might like. If you don't drive the car hard, the clutch will last a long time. I think one board member recently reported he was at 97k miles on the original clutch. Mine's at 54k mi and it is still doing fine.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
754 Posts
Welcome aboard!
You'll find this Forum to be the most imformative and friendly M5 site in cyber space.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys can i be xpectin to be payin the same running costs etc as m5 5.4 V12 seven series. I mean petrol etc is not an issue, just dont want to buy a car thats always gonna be at BMW just dont have the time. My seven is bomb proof lol (level one protection) the ony thing i have done is routine servicing a cam shaft speed sensor and changed one MAF in one year. since i have had it i have put close to 15000 motoway (highway) miles on it. Will the M5 have the same sort of refinement or should i just stick with what i have :sad1: please help!!!

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Nothing inherently unreliable about the M5 relative to other bimmers... consumer satisfaction surveys I've seen have rated the M5 high in reliability.
Cheers,
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts