BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long time M5board member here. Joined when I bought my first E39 M5 in 2003 - a CB 2000 with full leather - as a CPO car.
tried many other cars and eventually came back to the fold with a 48K mile 2003 Imola that I drove for 6 years, 60K miles and still in touch with the buyer - local enthusiast here in Silicon Valley where I live and work,

After selling the 2003 I picked up a 2013 Panamera S with the NA V8 (400hp), which I drove about 12K miles - with the CPO coming to a close I decided it wasn't really the right fit for me and time to move on. The plan all along was to keep it no more than 3 years, and I made it two. Enjoyed the car as a long distance road trip car, but with our oldest child moving back to the Bay Area, those long road trips will be much fewer moving forward. More like long weekend trips to the beach or wine country - couple hour drives, maybe as far as the SLO area. Anyway - perfect outings for an M5.

I missed the 3 pedals - I have owned so many 3 pedal cars over the years and currently have two others in the stable - a 2016 SS Camaro convertible with the 455hp LT1 and a 71 pro-touring build Camaro with a 520hp 406 - both with T56 6 speeds. So why not have the sedan to match!! All in a different shade of blue too!!

Car was found by a friend of mine at a dealer in MD of all places - ended up with a great deal on it and car shipped yesterday, so hoping to get it by end of March.

has the full merino leather, HUD, very well equipped overall - seems to have a lot of nice options.
rarest element besides the 6 speed is Monaco Blue - 126 made for the US from 2008-2010 and only 7 with merino full leather interior - wonder how many were 6MT cars too.

Can't wait to the get the car. I had a PPI done - no glaring issues other than a AC condenser which the dealer fixed - will need a few expected PM items such as replacing the coolant hoses and the front suspension bushings. I will likely add the Dinan monoballs and may get the Dinan springs, bushings and swaybars while I'm at it. Has new tires. Car has 66K miles on it. So yes rod bearings are high on the to-do list.

and here is the ride out west to CA:

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Welcome back to the fold! I think m5portal.com has the production numbers of 6MT e60 m5 builds. Monaco Blue is indeed one of the rarest 6MT builds.

I’ve driven the daylights out of my m5s. Up until five years ago, I commuted from SoCal to The Bay Area and to our old place in Monterey in my e28m5, then my e39m5, and my e60m5.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M5portal was down last time I checked. Maybe temporary. But total 126 out of 9K or so e60M5s so it’s a rather rare color for sure.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got a call from the transport driver - car is expected to be delivered tomorrow! Woot!

It got here really quickly - just shipped on Saturday. He has one to drop in LA and then up here to Northern CA.
Probably not as much traffic out on the roads these days and he must not have had too full of a load either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey man! It's really cool how you bought the car from Rockville. I reside in Maryland and it was only ~20 minutes from me, and I had been following the posting on Autotrader. I'm not currently in the position to buy an E60 (still a student lol) but I'm glad a local car went to an enthusiast. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well - wasn't exactly a local car - they picked it up from OH where it lived it's whole life. But at least EAG didn't get it - not that they play in the E60 market for the most part anyway. But yes - dealer was in Rockville. I lucked out finding it only because my buddy who lives in the general area was looking for a E93 generation M3 and they ended up having a 16K mile 08 which he bought and they had just got this E60 in - so I started the dialog before it was really even generally available for sale and debated between this one and a 07 with similar miles but rod bearings done. The clincher was the 07 had the early motor design with the 1 drain oil pan and vanos gear, so I went ahead with this car with the full intent of doing rod bearings within the next 10K miles.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'll take the split bumper please, what's lurking under the hood? 327 is one of my favorite's.

I just had a low mileage 750il shipped, those guys are humping day and night to move cars. Mine even showed up a day early from NM. Just did a road trip through N-CA unbelievable roads and driving you are really going to get the most out of your car.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 71 has a 520hp 406 - it's a torque beast makes over 500ft-lbs from 3000-6000rpm. Very different animal from the similar power S85! Tremec Magnum T56 behind it and had 3.42 gears but 9" with 3.90's going in now. the car has run a mid 11 sec 1/4mi back when it had an auto trans and before I got it.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Car made it as planned! The truck ended up having a brake issue on one of the trailer wheels so there was some film covering the car and smelled like brakes, but seemed to clean up nicely with a quick wash. Haven't done more than drive it around the block - but all seems to be working fine.

A few pics - will get it out for a better photo shoot at some point. BTW - all the seals and black door trim and glass / lenses are all in great condition - so this car was clearly garaged and pampered most of it's life. Interior is very nice.
HUD is pretty cool too btw.

Monaco is very dark - looks pretty much black in low light. Starts to color up with full sun.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got it out for a 25min drive. Very impressed with this car. It's a lot like a E39 M5, except has a more refined and stiffer chassis - communicates much better through steering, very precise with plenty of feel from the steering and chassis. Transmission is similar - pretty typical BMW there - it works, it's refined, shifts well, it's not a sports car set-up. I hear the Z3 shifter and knob is a bolt in and reduces the throws significantly - will probably give that a try.

The motor is a real gem. It just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling. I didn't get all the way into the rev range yet - made it to ~7K a few times. Got some nice scratch from a hard 1-2 shift up around 6500, but the car just plants and goes. It's really easy to drive this car stupidly fast - but unlike the Panamera it has a lot more power and a lot lot lot more feedback. Exactly what I was looking for from my sedan - much more my kind of car for sure. Very analog feeling car all around. Probably the latest generation of BMW where you can get this - along with the E90 era M3 and maybe the current M2 but those are rather small cars.

Runs a bit rough when cold - I assume that's normal - even the S62 did. I was getting some vibration from 1500-3000 rpm, could be just cold motor - seemed to go away once warmed up. Could also be motor mounts are starting to go. Either way those will be replaced when I do rod bearings in the next 5-10K miles so for now I won't stress about it. It was 40 degrees when I headed out for the drive.

My plan is to do a full fluid refresh - oil, trans, diff anyway. Will wait on coolant since I have the 4 radiator hoses ready to do at some point. Also will skip brakes - the ABS controller was just replaced so that was all flushed recently anyway.

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
I hear the Z3 shifter and knob is a bolt in and reduces the throws significantly - will probably give that a try.
For a time, I had the same 1.9L z3 shifter in my e28m5, e39m5, and e60m5. I liked the consistency when I was driving them back to back to back.

I still have the 1.9L z3 in the e60.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there won't be much consistency here - both my other cars have Tremec T56 6speeds very different. Pulling the M5 out of the garage today I was like - wait where is R again? When I daily drove the E39 it was routine even with the T56 cars but it's been 2 years since that one!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts