BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am a girl and new to site and need ur help, I have a 2006 E60 M5 with 100,088 miles on it. So here is my issues I have had for awhile I noticed that when I stab the gas I hear a spark knock sound but not at idle along with a rough idle, the plugs where replaced at 72,000 miles ago. Anyway I was out of town last weekend and the idle got really bad and would jump from 1000 rpms down to 500 rpms and back up, So I started to head home and warning light increased emission/ reduced engine power with engine logo showed up and so I pulled over to nearest Holiday Inn and turned it off and got a room for the night, the next morning I started the car and it was fine and I drove 3 hours back home with not problems at all. Also guys oil is changed every 5-7k miles with TSW 10-60. I am so scared because I have read a lot of post about the Vanos and Rod Bearings going bad I hope that's not the case with me. What do u guys think could be my problem(s)?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my car at 40,000 miles. The 72,000 miles ago you said they we're changed seems too long to wait to change your spark plugs being that you have 100K miles now. It could definitely be the spark plugs and Coil packs. I was also told by B767 captain that the ionic sensor on one side could have gone out. All are relatively easy to repair, but replacing 10 spark plugs and coil packs can add up. Get the codes read and find out what it is. I guarantee it's a cylinder (or few), misfire. It could very well be something else, too. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
first of id start by replacing those plugs no matter if its the problem or not. second it could be a battery or charging issue as well. read codes

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, can auto zone or any other auto parts place check for code? I am about an hour from a dealer. If I change the plugs and coils is there anything I have to do after that so I dont mess anything up, would hate to get on the road and the motor blows if u know what i mean.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Plugs should be changed at 35k miles if I remember correctly. Do not hold me to that but the idrive system will tell you how much life is left on them.

First thing is read the codes and go from there.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Plugs should be changed at 35k miles if I remember correctly. Do not hold me to that but the idrive system will tell you how much life is left on them.

First thing is read the codes and go from there.
37k is the magic number that the factory recommends.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
And something I never follow like their oil intervals LOL!!
haha what intervals do you change your oil at? I'm switching mine oil changes to 5k intervals, per my indy's rec.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
7K at most but between 5-7k

Reactions: randywei

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hi guys I am a girl and new to site and need ur help, I have a 2006 E60 M5 with 100,088 miles on it. So here is my issues I have had for awhile I noticed that when I stab the gas I hear a spark knock sound but not at idle along with a rough idle, the plugs where replaced at 72,000 miles ago. Anyway I was out of town last weekend and the idle got really bad and would jump from 1000 rpms down to 500 rpms and back up, So I started to head home and warning light increased emission/ reduced engine power with engine logo showed up and so I pulled over to nearest Holiday Inn and turned it off and got a room for the night, the next morning I started the car and it was fine and I drove 3 hours back home with not problems at all. Also guys oil is changed every 5-7k miles with TSW 10-60. I am so scared because I have read a lot of post about the Vanos and Rod Bearings going bad I hope that's not the case with me. What do u guys think could be my problem(s)?
It's pretty difficult to speculate as to what could be the issue from your description. How long have you had the car? have you changed the throttle actuators yet?

Instead of having us guess, definitely get the codes pulled, any independent bmw shop should be able to pull them for you, not just the dealer. once you have those, post them and there are some knowledgable people on the site that can assist.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Keep in mind that the spark plugs on the S85 are used in a manner different than virtually any other engine since they also work as sensors for the ionic current unit. Dirty sensors = lower sensed ionic current = less than accurate reading of combustion quality.

Although, as mentioned, make your video public and have your codes pulled.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok video should be able to be viewed now. Had car for about 2 months now, I drove car to Auto Zone today and had them pull codes and the only codes pulled was P0430 and P0420. Oh and I know that the T-Stat needs replacing also. I know it is the Cats that the codes show so can I delete them or should I buy new ones and where from? Will the cause the Increased emission/ reduced power warning too?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Ok video should be able to be viewed now. Had car for about 2 months now, I drove car to Auto Zone today and had them pull codes and the only codes pulled was P0430 and P0420. Oh and I know that the T-Stat needs replacing also. I know it is the Cats that the codes show so can I delete them or should I buy new ones and where from? Will the cause the Increased emission/ reduced power warning too?
Cats are used for emissions control so yes, if you are getting that warning and your cats need replacing then that would make sense.

Getbmwparts.com has pretty good pricing on OEM parts. Much better than the stealership.

--EDIT--

go to bmwpartspros.com instead. Much better pricing than getbmwparts.com

If it's your primary cats which have gone bad...this will be an expensive fix as the primary cats are apart of the header manifolds...each side is about $2k...

--EDIT (again)--

for stock header manifolds, looks like getbmwparts.com is actually cheaper than bmwpartspros.com, but for other OEM parts bmwpartspros is cheaper.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Cats are used for emissions control so yes, if you are getting that warning and your cats need replacing then that would make sense.

Getbmwparts.com has pretty good pricing on OEM parts. Much better than the stealership.

--EDIT--

go to bmwpartspros.com instead. Much better pricing than getbmwparts.com

If it's your primary cats which have gone bad...this will be an expensive fix as the primary cats are apart of the header manifolds...each side is about $2k...

--EDIT (again)--

for stock header manifolds, looks like getbmwparts.com is actually cheaper than bmwpartspros.com, but for other OEM parts bmwpartspros is cheaper.
In my best Long Duck Dong voice: "This place so confusing!"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys P0420 and P0430 is that post or pre cats? And could it be 02 sensors causing the codes? Or could it be bad plugs and T-Stat causing codes? I just don't want to spend money in ares I don't need to.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Just to clarify, an emission warning doesn't directly mean it's the cats. There are numerous scenarios in which a warning like that can appear and it be another issue. However based on your codes I'd say your cats are likely going to need replacement. Once confirmed you have a couple options, get used replacements installed or go catless depending on your state emissions regulations. The later will require a tune and programming which will inherently increase the costs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts