BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All I am a new member. I have been looking at buying a car for sometime. My plan was to not buy anything until next year. As with any plan, things change. I live in <ST1:pAlberta</ST1:p, The roads here are not kind to cars driven year round. My first car, which my uncle bought new, then was owned by my grandparents and then sold to my parents was a 1976 BMW 2002. Golf yellow, black interior, with a sun roof. I loved the car. My dad and I rebuilt the engine from the ground up. Painted it twice to repair rust. Rust eventually ate the car from the inside out. Everything I now know about cars I learned from the 2002. Since that time I have owned 5 Audis, a 944, a golf, 2 Elantra gt’s and I always compared them to the 2002. I needed another BMW and I wanted an M car.<O:p</O:p
So I started the search, looking for a good deal, something with no rust, not mint but a solid car to build on. That is when I found this:
<O:p</O:p

Picture if I can get it to work!
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-over-5K-1992-BMW-M5-W0QQAdIdZ40464839
I look forward to replacing the suspension and getting it sorted. I will post my updates as they come. I bought it the day befor we left for sailing the Tobbago keys. My wife was not impressed! I keep having to edit because of flaky wireless

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Welcome from Scotland Rob :cool2:

A mate has a mint 2002 that is used for classic rallyes - been out in the streets of Luxembourg late night hooning in it many times!

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Yes , welcome to the forum and congratulations on acquiring a tidy , low mileage example .

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Rob, Nice car, saw that one advertised, too bad you didn't check Craigslist Vancouver, I have my 89 listed there 128,000km, Eurospec for about half the price, but yours is a much nicer car! Congrats and welcome!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I just wanted to give an update and ask a few questions. Here is a picture of the car.

I have refreshed all the fluids only the brake fluid is left. I have bought engine mounts and a cabin air filter that I still need to install. I am having an absolte blast driving the car but there is one thing I need to get done ASAP, the suspension.
When I got the car it was sitting really low in the back and was very bouncy. I figured out how to adjust the sls and the ride improved greatly but the struts are toast. After lots of studying I have decided to go with Koni struts, eibach springs and get rid of the sls. I know the rear parts required for the job, but what front parts would you also consider replacing?

Also anyone in Canada with a jspec car find a place to buy an antenna adapter cord to hook up the ISO antenna to a standard stereo?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds to me like you need new rear accumulators, I would replace them instead of the entire SLS system. The SLS works very well as long as your struts aren't leaking. you can buy them for about 150.00 each, and they are very easy to replace. The SLS really helps when you have varied loads in the vehicle. Even filling the 90 liter fuel tank can make a difference in ride height with normal strut set up, then try adding a couple of adults in the back seat, or bags in the trunk. Check your rear SLS struts if they aren't leaking and you are going to replace them let me know maybe i will take them off your hands. thanks Brian:hihi:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brian, Mine are not leaking, how does the accumulator affect damping? I thought it just adjusted ride hight?

·
Registered
113 Posts
the accumulator is actually the shock valving, the strut is more or less a hydraulic cylinder. Did some leg work for you, check ebay motors search parts and accessories M5 Accumulator the Item # is 300214511903

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
You may wish to renew the front upper and lower control arms / wishbones in order to improve the responsiveness of the steering / handling .........whilst you are at it , a pair of front anti roll bar links wouldn't hurt !

I renewed all of these parts on Sebring Sienna prior to our N'Ring trip earlier this month and she performed admirably !

D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome from Toronto! Nice Ride. I bought a CD43 RDS off eBay and installed it into my ///M.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts