BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just joined the board yesterday - I first came across the M5 board about a year ago when I started researching information on the E60 M5 - must admit I found it very useful and having made my mind up last April, put a deposit down on the E60 with Sytner and Victoria BMW - however bad news three weeks ago both dealers told me that I would be looking at at least 2006/7 before they could supply.

Anyway, resigning to this fact - I decided to look at sourcing a low mileage, high spec E39 M5 - and was lucky (I hope) in sourcing a 2000 X plate Carbon Black with only 25,000 miles with main dealer history.

The vehicle is in London and I live in Glasgow (Scotland) - and hope to have the car transported over in a week or so (can't wait) vrooooooooooom:M5launch:.

Now being a new comer to the M5 - I would very much welcome your learned comments on whether the year of model, mileage, specfication etc is good or bad and what issues/concerns (if any) should I be aware of.

Specification:

Active Front Seats
Climate Comfort Screen
Comfort Seats - Electric
Double Glazing
GSM Telephone - Fixed
Hi-Fi Sys Prof DSP
Leather interior
Navigation System with TV
Through Load System
Black Full Nappa Heritage Leather

Also, I am looking to keep the vehicle in as original specifcation as possible and certainly in the short term intend to only replace the exhaust - after many (many) message viewings on exhausts - it would seem that the Tubi Style exhaust seems to crop up time and again - what are your thoughts on this ? quality, sound, power enhancement, cost ? - does the system actually enhance the hp and does the engine need to be dyno tuned after fitting ? and the increase in power (if any) strain the engine ? if so are additional mods to the engine required ? and does the having the exhaust on its own invalidate the manufacturers warranty ?

I know - lots of questions - but really would welcome your help in breaking gently into the M5 mode of thinking.

PS. Are there any M5 board members from Scotland - particularly Glasgow ?

Anyway, thanks - and look forward to being part of this Ultimate Driving Machine club.

Thx

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Welcome to the board and enjoy when you finally recieve delivery of your M5:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congratulations, you are goinf to love this car. It is something special. I just took delivery of new to me Imola Red, two day ago and I love it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
igorkb said:
Congratulations, you are goinf to love this car. It is something special. I just took delivery of new to me Imola Red, two day ago and I love it.
Thanks - happy and safe driving :M5launch:

·
Registered
11 Posts
<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:11.25pt; height:11.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="""file:///C:Tempmsohtml1

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took delivery of my black //e39 m5 two days ago. I'm still grinning. Put it this way, I hit approx 125mph on highway out of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">chicago</st1:place></st1:City> after picking up the car just like that.. no sweat.. I immediately saw a 328 and a 330 playing catchup and the 330 driver later gave thumbs up (WoW!) I had to back off the gas because the car was begging for more but I was kind of weary of getting my license revoked if caught at those insane speeds. The car builds speed so effortlessly, it's scary. High speed stability in this car is phenomenal! .. all this mind you without the sport button on!
again, WoW..

The accelerative pull into tripple digits in this car is deliciously brutal. I don't think I'll ever outdrive this car. It's not cheap but worth every penny..

enjoy..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just took delivery of a black //e39 m5 two days ago. I'm still grinning. Put it this way, I hit approx 125mph on highway out of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">chicago</st1:place></st1:City> after picking up the car just like that.. no sweat.. I immediately saw a 328 and a 330 playing catchup and the 330 driver later gave thumbs up (WoW!) I had to back off the gas because the car was begging for more but I was kind of weary of getting my license revoked if caught at those insane speeds. The car builds speed so effortlessly, it's scary. High speed stability in this car is phenomenal! .. all this mind you without the sport button on!
again, WoW..

The accelerative pull into tripple digits in this car is deliciously brutal. I don't think I'll ever outdrive this car. It's not cheap but worth every penny..

enjoy..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took delivery of a jet black //m5 in chicago two days ago. I'm still grinning.
[font=&quot]Put it this way, I hit 125mph on the highway out of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">chicago</st1:place></st1:City> after picking up the car just like that.. no sweat.. I immediately saw a 328 and a 330 playing catchup and the 330 driver later gave thumbs up (WoW!) I had to back off the gas because the car was begging for more but I was kind of weary of getting my license revoked if caught at those insane speeds. The car builds speed so effortlessly, it's scary.

High speed stability in this car is phenomenal! .. all this mind you without the sport button on!
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
Accelerative pull into tripple digits in this car is deliciously brutal. Worth every penny..

enjoy..
<!--[endif]-->
[/font]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
javacore said:
I took delivery of a jet black //m5 in chicago two days ago. I'm still grinning.
[font=&quot]Put it this way, I hit 125mph on the highway out of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:place w:st="on">chicago</ST1:place></st1:City> after picking up the car just like that.. no sweat.. I immediately saw a 328 and a 330 playing catchup and the 330 driver later gave thumbs up (WoW!) I had to back off the gas because the car was begging for more but I was kind of weary of getting my license revoked if caught at those insane speeds. The car builds speed so effortlessly, it's scary.

High speed stability in this car is phenomenal! .. all this mind you without the sport button on!
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
Accelerative pull into tripple digits in this car is deliciously brutal. Worth every penny..

enjoy..
<!--[endif]-->
[/font]
Thanks - really can't wait - I strated of thinking that I won't be doing any mods - but it seems that everyday that goes buy I am planning 1 od after the other - anyway I as sure I'll be pretty content once I get the car.

Happy and safe driving :M5launch:

Cheers

·
Registered
213 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! nice spec, there can't be many with that kind of mileage left :wroom:

On purchasing mine I swore that I wouldn't do any mods... but that was then... and now I can't stop...

:M5launch:

-Steve

·
Registered
139 Posts
Congratulations!

I too have a Carbonblack E39 and am in Edinburgh.

You won't regret your purchase for a second. Have you driven one? If not, you are in for a treat!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
My new purchase has a Tubi fitted and my neighbours have already split into two clear camps - those who love it and those who think I'm an social menace! Starting up early on a cold winter's morning is not a peaceful experience for anyone outside the car!

It calms down after about a minute of warming up though and inside the car it's fairly unintrusive, but you are aware of its presence in a very pleasant way when driving around town.

You wouldn't know you had it on a motorway run, or cruising on an A road, except for when you overtake when you'll thank your lucky stars you do!

Giving the car a bootful in a tunnel with the windows & roof open is also an experience not to be missed. Check out this clip -

http://www.beastpower.com/products/tubi/sound/tubirumore-accel.mpeg

A stock M5 accelerated away from some traffic lights as I waited to cross yesterday and it sounded very dull by comparison.

I couldn't recommend it enough!

·
Registered
355 Posts
So you have plenty of options before settling on the Tubi. UK members have:

Kelleners
ACS
Hartge
Milltek
Eisenmann
Supersprint
Gruppe M
Borla
Tubi

What have I forgotten?

Your choice depends on whether you wish to wake the dead or be a little more discrete! If you were prepared to wait and were prepared to attend a UK meeting (a long drive South for you admittedly, as most of the meetings are in the SE), you could probably hear all of them in one go before deciding.

Steve, I note you are going with Hayward and Scott for the backboxes - what's been your experience with them?? I have asked them to develop manifolds and sports cats as a one off for me..........they are very reasonably priced.......

Roger

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rogbacon said:
So you have plenty of options before settling on the Tubi. UK members have:

Kelleners
ACS
Hartge
Milltek
Eisenmann
Supersprint
Gruppe M
Borla
Tubi

What have I forgotten?

Your choice depends on whether you wish to wake the dead or be a little more discrete! If you were prepared to wait and were prepared to attend a UK meeting (a long drive South for you admittedly, as most of the meetings are in the SE), you could probably hear all of them in one go before deciding.

Steve, I note you are going with Hayward and Scott for the backboxes - what's been your experience with them?? I have asked them to develop manifolds and sports cats as a one off for me..........they are very reasonably priced.......

Roger
Thanks for the advice - by the way when is the next meet anyway ? ( I just might be persuaded for a 800 mile round journey in the soon to arrive M5 )

·
Registered
947 Posts
welcome to the board fella!

Mileage sounds nice - best bet is go to sainsbury's, buy a week's worth of food and drink, a toothbrush, lock urself in the pc room, and use the search button at the top of this page........

you'll come out with all the answers you have questions to, and many that you hadnt even thought of nor knew existed.

See u soon
foxy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
foxyboym5 said:
welcome to the board fella!

Mileage sounds nice - best bet is go to sainsbury's, buy a week's worth of food and drink, a toothbrush, lock urself in the pc room, and use the search button at the top of this page........

you'll come out with all the answers you have questions to, and many that you hadnt even thought of nor knew existed.

See u soon
foxy
Hi,

Seems like i've almost done that (since the original post) excellent board you certainly learn a lot.

Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jaguar said:
Congratulations!

I too have a Carbonblack E39 and am in Edinburgh.

You won't regret your purchase for a second. Have you driven one? If not, you are in for a treat!
Hi,

No I haven't driven one (yet) - so I guess I am in for a pleasant surprise :wroom: - nice to hear from someone else this side of the border.

Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rampage said:
Congrats on the purchase! nice spec, there can't be many with that kind of mileage left :wroom:

On purchasing mine I swore that I wouldn't do any mods... but that was then... and now I can't stop...

:M5launch:

-Steve
Thanks - yes well, I must admit I started off with the same though (ie. no mods) however since booking the car (last Friday) till now I have a long list of mods in mind. :wroom:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts