BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I am happy to say that I finally get to officially join the E39 M5 club. I've been an E36 guy my whole life (because it was all I could afford) but now get to move to my daddy car.

I got lucky and was able to pick up this 2003 M5 at a pretty good price. Only somewhat downside is that it had a little bit more miles that I was originally aiming for (the car is just shy of 139k miles). Other than that, the interior is near perfect, the exterior has some rock chips and typical driving wear but really not rust or any big issues. Oh and it came with a big folder worth of service records from a reputable european car service shop.

The car is also tastefully modded with a short shifter (still getting use to that) and appears to be a ZHP shift knob. It also has the UUC Corsa exhaust, which is quiet but sounds okay in my opinion.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the car. I have a few little projects to do (seat twist, window regulator, door shade) but nothing real major. Although the engine seems to be nice and quiet I am seriously thinking about tackling rod bearings and the timing chain rail guides as preventative maintenance this winter. I'm not sure how overblown those issues are but it's cheaper than a new S62.

Anyway, hopefully the pictures show up ok. It was getting dark whenever I snapped the photos after washing the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club! I'm getting ready to install my SSK with ZHP knob :)

Funny you call this your daddy car...For me, my daddy car will be some sort of sport wagon :haha:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club! I'm getting ready to install my SSK with ZHP knob :)

Funny you call this your daddy car...For me, my daddy car will be some sort of sport wagon :haha:

Nope it's totally a daddy car. If I had a wife or kids this would be our family transport vehicle.

I'm biased as my other cars only seat 2.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had an E36 M3, which I haven't decided if it's a more fun car yet than the M5, but to complete my thought the E36 M3 was okay for the newborn car seat but I didn't even try to get the convertible car seat into it so the car had to go. Plus it had 3" exhaust and would set off car alarms if I wasn't careful. I guess the M5 means I'm all grown up now?

·
Registered
90 Posts
It is a daddy car. I too had an E36 M3 and rocked the infant car seat for a little while...

I still miss the feel of the E36 M3 when driving the backroads, but overall the M5 is perfect as an all around family car.

Your M5 looks great, especially for the mileage! Don't let the miles scare you, mine has 140k and runs better than it did with 90k. Just stay on top of the maintenance!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I feel like such an old man now...and I'm only 25. I just sold my 911 and got the M for various reasons. I still side by the fact that a sport wagon will be my dad car :haha: perhaps a swapped touring :wroom:

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Congratz! 139k is the tip of the iceberg if it's been maintained nicely.

But that wood trim needs to go :). The necessary work you mentioned is just a fun afternoon!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Nice color combo. Car looks good! Welcome and as others have said, 140k is no big deal if it has been maintained as it sounds like it has. Mine rolled 200k last week.

IMO I would go through the car thoroughly and see what maintenance it needs and tackle all of those things before looking at spending the time and money on the rod bearings and timing chain guides.

Reactions: AGM5

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Congratulations on your new beast. I would not worry about the mileage; 139K is not a big deal if the maintenance has been kept up.

I had an E36 M3, which I haven't decided if it's a more fun car yet than the M5, but to complete my thought the E36 M3 was okay for the newborn car seat but I didn't even try to get the convertible car seat into it so the car had to go. Plus it had 3" exhaust and would set off car alarms if I wasn't careful. I guess the M5 means I'm all grown up now?
No, the M5 does not mean that you can kiss "young and foolish" goodbye.
"When I was young and foolish I drove an M5," -Sergio Marchionne, Autoweek magazine at the Paris Auto Show.

not sure which model year he was referring to but the now Chairman of Fiat/Chrysler/Ferrari Sergio Marchionne was quoted as saying:

Marchionne says his own Ferrari is the famous "Enzo" model named after the company's founder. But the man who could drive any Ferrari he wants says he's not immune to the charms of rival German craftsmanship.

"When I was young and foolish I drove an M5," he said, referring to the high-end sports car made by BMW.

this is from Autoweek magazine at the Paris Auto Show...

"Young & Foolish??" .... ah to be young again:biggrinbounce:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/off-topic-forum/407329-past-present-m5-owners.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice color combo. Car looks good! Welcome and as others have said, 140k is no big deal if it has been maintained as it sounds like it has. Mine rolled 200k last week.

IMO I would go through the car thoroughly and see what maintenance it needs and tackle all of those things before looking at spending the time and money on the rod bearings and timing chain guides.
The car really doesn't need much. Just did the seat cable fix one both seats so they now recline and height adjust. I only need two more things until the car is fully functioning 1) drivers side headlight washer jet and 2) drivers side rear passenger window regulator fix. Other than that the car is pretty much perfect.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The car really doesn't need much. Just did the seat cable fix one both seats so they now recline and height adjust. I only need two more things until the car is fully functioning 1) drivers side headlight washer jet and 2) drivers side rear passenger window regulator fix. Other than that the car is pretty much perfect.
Do your records show when the last time was that the following items were done? These things may/can seem fine but could be robbing power or handling without you knowing it.

-spark plugs
-MAFs
-CPS (cam sensors)
-suspension bushings (thrust arms, etc.)

And then there are items that BMW considered lifetime fluids and depending on who did all that maintenance work, they may or may not have followed that. The dealer certainly would have followed BMW guidelines. These things should be changed especially with the mileage now.

-transmission fluid
-differential fluid
-fuel filter

So in summary, fully functioning and fully maintained are two different things. :cheers:

For more in depth look at some recommended maintenance items, take a look at the first page of the DIY FAQ thread.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the information. I'm not seeing any records of the items you mentioned, unless it was covered under inspection ii.

I'll probably do differential fluid and transmission fluid next. After that bushings and suspension = upgrades to me but we'll see.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Thanks for the information. I'm not seeing any records of the items you mentioned, unless it was covered under inspection ii.

I'll probably do differential fluid and transmission fluid next. After that bushings and suspension = upgrades to me but we'll see.
These are not items covered under any BMW maintenance procedures. These are M5board maintenance items as discovered over the last 14 years by owners world wide. One of the best parts about this forum is that it is world wide. There is more experience on here than you will find at any single shop.

In addition, the E39 chassis is known to have certain suspension bushings wear out at intervals and need to be replaced as a maintenance item, not an upgrade item. The most common one is thrust arms bushings. If the balljoint end is still good you can buy just the bushing and press them out/in to your existing arm which saves a lot of money. Don't buy anything other than OE or Lemforder unless you ARE going to upgrade from stock. We've all been down that road and the other aftermarket brands just don't stack up. (ie they don't last for ****)

To be clear I'm not saying that your car needs any of this stuff, but just be aware that the torque of this engine is deceiving.

If this were my car I would change spark plugs and fuel filter ASAP and then do trans and diff fluids. After that I'd put some miles on and really get used to driving it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you wouldn't recommend going powerflex on the thrust arm bushings?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
So you wouldn't recommend going powerflex on the thrust arm bushings?
No they are a good product, but not for everyone. I bought a set of bushings that are for the X5 as they are supposed to be heavy duty compared to the E39 bushing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No they are a good product, but not for everyone. I bought a set of bushings that are for the X5 as they are supposed to be heavy duty compared to the E39 bushing.
Just curious about your lack of promotion for the powerflex bushings. I've run powerflex on all 3 of my E36 cars and although the ride is slightly stiffer I feel that it makes things significantly tighter over stock. Plus there is nothing to tear with polyurethane completely around. Is your caution simply because it will cause a stiffer/harsher ride or have their been longevity concerns with powerflex? I'll also look into the X5 bushing too.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Just curious about your lack of promotion for the powerflex bushings. I've run powerflex on all 3 of my E36 cars and although the ride is slightly stiffer I feel that it makes things significantly tighter over stock. Plus there is nothing to tear with polyurethane completely around. Is your caution simply because it will cause a stiffer/harsher ride or have their been longevity concerns with powerflex? I'll also look into the X5 bushing too.
yes.

Based on your previous experience, when the time comes you should get the powerflex for the E39 as well.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts