BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all, been about a month since I picked up a beautiful 1991 alpine white m5. Has 140k and been owned by the second owner since 1997 with meticulous mainanance records! everything works and justs needs a little tlc to be a neatly pristine car. Anything I should be aware of initially? He has already replaced the rear air suspension but any other items to watch? Seems the battery or car draws one hell of a current as its already dead after sitting for 2 weeks. Also any idea what a car like this might be worth? Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello and welcome. Check out the FAQ section - hugely useful. As to battery drain, have you got the fully auto aircon system? If so, try turning it off a minute or two before turning off the ignition - I found that if I left system on I could hear an actuator trying to work every few minutes even with ignition off. Also the alarm system can cause a drain. As to value, wait 12 months then add up everything you've spent buying and repairing the car and it's probably worth approx 50%. Said he cynically!!

;-)

Chris

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I'll have to check and see on the aircon system. Is that part of the hvac system?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes. Same thing. Turning fan / blower wheel fully anti-clockwise ( till it clicks twice ) turns hvac off / lights go out on the selector buttons (if you have the automatic system).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Same thing. Turning fan / blower wheel fully anti-clockwise ( till it clicks twice ) turns hvac off / lights go out on the selector buttons (if you have the automatic system).
Awesome thanks I will check this out!

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Good Morning and congratulations on your acquistion .

My advice ?

Take your time and get to know this car through the ownership experience of driving , cleaning and maintaining her .

Certain things will definitely need to be addressed and others you can live with and even grow to like .

A decent auto electrician will diagnose your battery drain in no time , but most E34 M5's will run a battery low with two weeks of inactivity .

Enjoy the ride !

D

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
............, but most E34 M5's will run a battery low with two weeks of inactivity .
D
-
During storage and times of inactivity (locked with alarm and code lock activated) I put the battery on maintenance charge every 3:rd week.
There even was (is?) a BMW-battery-load-calender available as an official order item.

The BMW E34 M5 'owner's manual' is a good study with lots of surprises even for the car enthusiast who believes he knows it all. ;)
Strongly recommended !

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
-
During storage and times of inactivity (locked with alarm and code lock activated) I put the battery on maintenance charge every 3:rd week.
There even was (is?) a BMW-battery-load-calender available as an official order item.

The BMW E34 M5 'owner's manual' is a good study with lots of surprises even for the car enthusiast who believes he knows it all. ;)
Strongly recommended !
Good to know, I have a feeling it's time for a new battery anyways as the previous owner replaced it just over 5 years ago. No big deal!

·
Registered
496 Posts
...justs needs a little tlc to be a neatly pristine car. Anything I should be aware of initially? He has already replaced the rear air suspension but any other items to watch? Seems the battery or car draws one hell of a current as its already dead after sitting for 2 weeks. Also any idea what a car like this might be worth? Thanks
The rear self-leveling suspension is a sophisticated hydraulic rear load leveling suspension and IMHO, an asset for the lowered M5 performance suspension; especially on a road-trip with a fully trunk car.

Like any super High-Performance vehicle the cooling system and drive belts must be refreshed on an aggressive maintenance schedule, as this is one maintenance that can prevent the loss of the engine in short order.
That is all the coolant & heater hoses, hose clamps, belts and replacement of the thermostat, water pump and radiator at 75-100k miles or 7-10 years. You will want to check the maintenance records.

Also, for a garage queen it is best to leave the car on a battery maintenance charger during periods of non-use, as nothing is worse for a starter battery than to let it slowly discharge by a cars parasitic currant draw of 50-70ma. A maintenance charger will take the load off the battery, keep the battery plates from sulfating, maintain its full cold cranking amperage and greatly extend the batteries life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts