BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to update my old post but it wont let me, wanted to throw up some pictures of a new to me 1991 m5 I picked up a while back. love some feedback. battery already died but replaced that along with some other small things I will be working on. any advice on cleaning the leather? also have a new passenger fog light to replace. thanks for the feedback :santasmile2:

·
Registered
899 Posts
What color is the interior? Leatherique is a popular option for cleaning and restoration. I've used that and it works very well especially if your leather is dry. I've also used Leather Honey products which also work very well. Both are very messy and take some elbow grease. I prefer to leave the seats in the car when using Leatherique, the product recommends using the heat of the day to assist the product in softening the leather. I prefer to take the seats out when using Leather Honey, the instructions only require at least room temp for their products.

·
Registered
282 Posts
interior is grey leather, is that something I can get at an auto parts store?
Leatherique is not typically sold in stores, you'd order it online. I've got the light gray leather in my '91, and it was/is in terrible condition when I bought the car. I'd love to have the seats professionally reupholstered, but I have to focus on getting all the mechanicals sorted out first.

I am in the process of patching some holes and filling cracks, followed by refinishing with SEM "Classic coat". The color code for SEM is 17353 (BMW Silver Gray), and it's a nearly perfect match for the Silbergrau Hell interior. I've already re-done my door panels with it:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leatherique is not typically sold in stores, you'd order it online. I've got the light gray leather in my '91, and it was/is in terrible condition when I bought the car. I'd love to have the seats professionally reupholstered, but I have to focus on getting all the mechanicals sorted out first.

I am in the process of patching some holes and filling cracks, followed by refinishing with SEM "Classic coat". The color code for SEM is 17353 (BMW Silver Gray), and it's a nearly perfect match for the Silbergrau Hell interior. I've already re-done my door panels with it:

wow looks really nice, the previous owner was very good with the car and owned it since 1998 but it could use a little love. I will look that stuff up, thanks!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Letherique and Leather Honey are both available on Amazon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow same fog lamps needs to be replaced, how hard was it to do?
I'm beginning to think I am scared to drive this car as I keep thinking it will break down or something will go wrong. Am I crazy to think this way?

·
Registered
282 Posts
These cars are old, many have lots of deferred maintenance from neglectful prior owners, and really can put you in a bad spot if you are uncomfortable with the reality that mechanical failures *will* appear, especially early on in your ownership.

I think it is unrealistic to expect it to be a truly reliable car until you've gone through all of the major systems to correct deficiencies.

I don't think you should be afraid to drive it -- but have a plan for when (not IF) something fails. AAA Premier is a good idea (towing coverage is excellent, I just got a free 40 mile tow last week). Don't drive it when you absolutely have to be somewhere important, at least until you're comfortable that the kinks have been worked out, to an extent.

I don't think these are good cars for someone new to working on cars, honestly. However, to someone comfortable with a wrench, and willing to accept the occasional "surprise" while driving, they offer a lot.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nickd23, your profile says you're in Rochester would that be Michigan? I ask as I saw a very nice Alpine White e34 M5 in Troy last month.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well my lights wern't broken broken; one has a crack that lets in moisture that drives me nuts because of the discoloration. I just wanted to see how easy it was to take it out for when I install some new ones before Legends o the Autobahn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nickd23, your profile says you're in Rochester would that be Michigan? I ask as I saw a very nice Alpine White e34 M5 in Troy last month.
From Rochester ny, I'm Not to bad with some mecahnical things but the computers and older technology's can be scary. I work for a BMW store In Sales so I can always bring it there but even most of our techs are unfamiliar with these cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts