BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I've recently got an '89 E34 M5 that's been stood outside for fifteen years and have started to fettle it up. It's in much better condition than you'd expect so it definitely a 'saver' and have made a start replacing the obvious bits. There is much yet to do, however, and I am looking for advice about replacing the rear dampers (and possibly springs) with something more conventional.

I want something with an acceptable balance for road and occasional track-day use, I don't want chipped teeth and blurred vision but don't want to be sea-sick either. I've been looking at Bilstein's B6 and B8 and wondered which suited the car best, and if they will need to be fitted with different springs in order to be rid of the SLS completely. I believe the top mounts need to be changed while I'm at it too.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Welcome to the forum Wayne and congratulations on picking up one of the early UK RHD E34 M5s .

Be advised that your front shocks may be slightly different to that later 3.6 M5s .

Meanwhile , you need to ask yourself why you wish to move away from the standard suspension that the car was built and developed with .

New rear shocks , springs and top mounts will typically feel better than tired , ineffective , shocks .

Bilstein make some very good kits and top mounts and springs can be purchased as part of a whole package .

Run a search on sls delete and you will be able to read what is a much discussed topic !

Most of all , enjoy your M5 !

D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's actually LHD, my Dad bought it before they were available here officially in RHD. He stopped using it went insurance premiums went crazy in the mid 90's and it hasn't moved since. It was coming time to either save it or scrap it so I told him I was 'confiscating it' from him and decided to save it, even though it looks likely to cost as much to save as it's actually worth anyway, but hey-ho.

The reason I'm want to ditch the SLS is that the N/S one has spewed it's guts everywhere when I moved the car and, given the price of the replacements, I'd rather get rid of it and keep things simple. I work in Motorsport and there's a saying I like to use.... "Parts left out cost nothing, weigh nothing and cannot break" Every other car manages without SLS so I'm pretty sure this will too, even if I do have to change the springs or something too.

I don't want a stupid rock-hard car that won't ride bumps properly, just so I can look like a pimp, but the car is going to the 'Ring in May (on an '80's themed charity do) so it does need to have adequate composure. I have a race car and another track-day car for regular circuit thrills but the M5 will definitely be getting an odd run out too....

I wasn't sure how the B6 and B8 dampers compare or, indeed, how accurate information I'd get from the person selling it to me, hence the post.

Cheers.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm installing H&R springs and Koni yellow inserts/shocks along with all the other mount and rubber update/upgrade. Will let you know how to pans out but it won't be for another 2-3 weeks due to time constraints and some parts not ordered yet. According to my research it is a little harsher ride than the bilstein/eibach combo but that's exactly what i want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts