BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the M5 in February and the front seats were in terrible shape. The PO had ruined the seats with some sort of cleaner. The driver seat had a hole in the lower bolster and even the passenger seat top layer of leather was just gone!

I shopped around and called several upholstery shops getting prices. They ranged from $4,000-800 just to do the front seats.

I ended up getting them done for $800 at the closest shop, which is in Tupelo, MS.

The closest leather we found was from an Infinity and its pretty close. Not perfect but if you didn't know its hard to tell.

The shop ordered an entire hide and it only took a couple of days.

There are a few wrinkles that will disappear when the leather gets hot and ages a little. Even if it doesn't they look great and the smell of fresh leather is incredible.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,834 Posts
If there is a difference, it is very subtle, I am not seeing it!! Looks great and $800 to recover both seats is a smoking good deal!

Let's see how they hold up, they may be more durable than the BMW leather. Is the feel the same?

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
663 Posts
Please post a link to that shop! I personally don't need the service but those that do will appreciate it. Quality looks great and price is a smokin good deal. In your case that might be the best $800 you ever spend on that M5, what a difference!

·
Registered
421 Posts
What the F*** did the PO use to try to 'clean' those...bleach and brillo?!?:dunno:

Those seats look incredible and the craftsmanship appears to be top notch, let us know how they hold up and if you feel there is a noticeable difference between the feel of those and the original leather.

How do you feel about the transformation, did it meet/exceed your expectations?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very satisfied

The leather used was for an Infinity and it feels a little softer than the original leather, but the original leather is 15 years old!

The color difference is slight. I would a little more "orangey" than the original. But its close enough and only folks with severe color OCD would notice. I am VERY happy with the way they turned out.

Upholsterers Tupelo, MS - Tupelo Upholstery

This is the shops website. They have been in business for a long time. The two guys who do the work have doing it for over 25 years.

The BMW caramel leather doesn't seem to hold up like the other colors. My M5 only has 122,000 miles on it but the PO lived in Florida and the car sat outside during working hours and under a carport at night.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Holy crap... that original condition had me in shock.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Wow, for $800 I would do that in a heartbeat. I think I paid about $1200 for just the seat covers (complete skin replacement that I did myself and it was a pain in the butt) for the sport seats in my Porsche. By the way, you are correct. That leather will tighten up with heat. I am not sure about the BMW process but when I did the seats in my Porsche, I found in my research that "baking" the seats was part of the factory process. You can even try getting some of the ripples (if any) out with a hair dryer.

Good for you! Great score.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where did you find the leathers to replace it?

The upholstery shop had a book with little samples (1/2" x 1") of the leather. Similar to what dealerships used to have to show customers. I guess cost cutting eliminated that practice.

They had several books and none of them had the BMW caramel color. He called his leather supplier and asked if they showed a caramel color for BMW and they didn't. So we just started picking out samples that looked close and the Infinity color was the closest we could find.

Like I said in a PP the color is a little more orangey (redneck terminology!) than the OEM, but even if you could get the BMW caramel it won't match since the car is 15 years old.

I am very satisfied with the look, feel, smell (it smells like a new baseball glove) and finish.

Oh and the best part the new seat covers made the car go faster, steering is quicker, paint is shinier, tires grip better, stereo sounds better, the ride is smoother, Transmission shift is shorter, the exhaust tone is deeper, increased gas mileage......well in my mind anyway! Ha....

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would greatly appreciate it if you could find out the exact color or code used etc. I think this would make the install of the rear seat in the touring a lot easier.

The only thing that would make your car have more performance now is the right oil. But you have to bribe Rob to tell you where he gets his secret unicorn oil.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
The key here isn't the color; it's finding an upholstery shop with the ability that will do the job for an amazing price.

I just had a set of seat covers priced out for a friend's car this week (it's a car that you can't order a set of covers for so it is all labor), the quote was $12,000 :eek:

For $800 I'd be tempted to drive down there and have me car redone :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Talked to the shop today:

The color is burnt orange. Its a Nissan/Infinity leather color and its either EL95 or EL102 they couldn't remember which one. If I get down there I'll go by (I live about 30 miles away) and see which one is the correct color. Both EL95 and EL102 are burnt orange - probably just two different years.

Hope this helps yall!

The guys at the shop do a great job and if you come down to Tupelo you can visit the birthplace of Elvis and see the a huge car display at the Tupelo Auto Museum.

Tupelo Automobile Museum

1 - 20 of 48 Posts