BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
thanks for the scans :cheers:

unfortunately, I have to disagree with Gustav on the look.

if thats really the M5 then I have to say I am dissapointed. They go through all this effort to make changes to the car and then use a lower air dam virturally identical to the current M5's and the side vent like on the current M3? my hope is this is not the actual car but just a guess. How accurate is this magazine in the past? [edit- oh no, I see its from a pretty reputable magazine. oh no...... :crying: ]

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks for the scans Deckard!

I don't think this is how it's going to look like because all they have done is take the wheels and side vents from the M3 and a mix M3-M5 front spoiler. They haven't even bothered with changing mirrors or side skirts.

However it gives you an idea of how it looks like with bigger wheels and a lower front and I think it looks good!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks good.

I'd say that with such a contraversial change in the way the new 5 looks, it would be wise for BMW to use some past M styling. Personally, I think the addition of sideskirts, M mirrors, and a small change in the M3 type side vents, and this would be one hell of a car.

Plus it looks fun to drive, even with those crazy headlights, and thats going to be what really matters...

-Pat

·
Registered
968 Posts
I like the 6-series. Looks very clean, smooth curvy surfaces. And that door looks like it got pulled off an M3. Maybe it could do better with a more agressive front air dam, but still quite good looking.

As for the M5, will reserve judgements for later. :haha:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Zlaatan- youre right. we have to look at these in terms of general proportions and in that method the car looks pretty good to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow!

Honestly I think the M5 looks bad-***. Very aggressive and sporty. I'm calling my dealer today to get on the list.

·
Registered
8 Posts
they are not gonna build a e60 m5 they will be building a m6 with the v10 so you got a chose between the m3 and the m6:thumbsup:

·
Registered
968 Posts
striker79 said:
they are not gonna build a e60 m5 they will be building a m6 with the v10 so you got a chose between the m3 and the m6:thumbsup:
Now where on earth have you been for the past year and a half?? All sources seem to point towards a definite M5, yet none point to an M6. We KNOW a 6 series will be coming, though we have yet to receive any information about an M6, though a rather accurate educated guess can be made.

And ****, a 9000RPM revving engine! That's more than the highly acclaimed detuned F1 engine of the Ferrari F50, which has loads of power but basically not torque. Hopefully BMW could produce approx 420++lb-ft of crankshaft twisting torque at the lower RPM ranges. Then let the pistons work fast, build up the HP and do their job :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Oh yeah, another point I would like to raise. We do know that it's hard to extract torque out of a V10 motor. Look at F1 engines, yeah they rev high, but still, pretty torqueless. The Porsche Carrera GT has a decent amount of torque, but relative to its HP output, that amount of torque is nothing. Ok, the Dodge Viper has 500lb-ft of torque to accompany its 500HP, but IT'S an 8.3 LITRE BEHEMOTH!!! Wouldn't you expect a ****load more torque from an engine displacing 505 cu. in??

·
Registered
8 Posts
well let me see if i can kinda explain myself with out getting into trouble.I am a bmw step student in phoenix and we have been playing host to some big peaple in bmwna and they sat down yesterday to bring us up to speed on what we will see in the field and they said no e60 m5 but they will be coming out with a m6.They also said some other stuff but it's kinda not really supposed to be let loose on the mass public.The reason they gave us was weird to me atleast they basically said the current m5 was getting old and it was time for a change so they could of made a e60 m5 and been seen as trying to compete with other car makers or they could go straight for the neck and claim no prior knowledge of anything resembling competion between themselfs and benz or audi.So basically in no time they will be leaving others in the dust :biggrin: so the m6 will have all the sport of the m5(more actually)and the safety of the e66.

·
Registered
857 Posts
sorry,
but that m5 has a lot of growing to do on me.

and sometimes i feel that enthusiasts force themselves to like the new e60 design, because they dont want to see their favorite car manufacturer to go down the drains.

personally, to me, its okay. I really have to see it in person.

My dad so far hates it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I don't see why BMW would want to quit doing what its just so good at. Let me just ask my dad to inquire with our only BMW dealer in Brunei about the E60 M5.

Imagine, all the hype created by the E60 M5, then , two months from now BMW officially announces that there will be no M5. Great way to lose customers.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
oh nooo

Personally, I will reserve judgement until I see it live, and up close.. But from what I have seen above, FORGET IT...

No imagination... if all BMW can do is take M3 vents and a slightly modified front end to "create" the flagship 5 series then I will be a long term owner of my E39 thanks very much.

Also, re Strikers comments: I think we are all hearing this rumor more and more. I heard it late last year which prompted my current purchase since I wanted the 4 door rocket and was not about to take the chance that the dealer was correct.

The deletion of the M5 would not surprise me, since BMW really started the M series with coupes and may revert to the style with the M6. Note too that there is no 4 door M3 in the current body style whereas there was in the previous version...

Where there is smoke....

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I would be very surprised if there is no E60 M5. But I am also sure you are sincere in what you are saying. Let me just voice one man's opinion: it would be a big mistake to not do a E60 M5.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts