BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

NEW RUF RT 12

6K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  9852147 
#1 ·
#4 ·
So trading in the Alpina soon Adam? :hihi:

#5 ·
I think the only thing that doesnt work for me, is the 19 and 20 inch wheels,

In my opinion the 19s on our car are far too heavy, and performance as a result suffers.

I would prefer the lightweight ruf 18 modular alloys on it,

No pics though this is the only one i could find,

Im going over in two weeks, and will hopefully see the car

all the best
adam

#6 ·
#8 ·
Wow Adam, you really find this stuff quickly!! I just found that same Autoweek.nl article this morning and was about to email it to you, but I thought "I'll do that after checking what's new on the M5 board..."

Lo and behold you already posted it... you punk, hehe :hihi:

Since I have the chance I'll post two more pictures of the car here, including the rear. Enjoy, gentlemen:

Attachments

#11 ·
Wow, very nice. I guess that is to intice those who cannot wait for the 997TT. Is that Guards Red or custom Ruf colour?

#12 ·
Gustav said:
I am not too sure of the car from behind. It looks a bit too extreme.
I agree Gustav, however, I've narrowed it down specifically-- at least, so far-- to the air vents for the brake ventilation (i think that's what they are... located at lower corners of the rear bumper). To me, the slots are kind of crude for the rest of the car's character. As soon as I saw them I thought "that looks like something Techart would design." Not that Techart is a horrible designer... I can appreciate some of their stuff. But the Ruf has always be the quintessential "Wolf in sheep's clothing."

Overall the car is stunning. I literally heard the Hallelujah Chorus start playing in my head when I saw the first pic posted by Adam. But I love to admire a car in detail and as such, I start to scrutinize, e.g. the front air dam also might be a bit too drastic... might not... I take my time to settle on an opinion.

In the meantime, Handel is a fitting soundtrack to this feast for my eyes. kinggf

By the way, is there and English version of that AutoWeek article... or anyone care to translate for me? My Dutch girfriend in college didn't teach me enough, apparently.

:cheers:
Brian

#13 ·
Hey guys,

Just two quick technical answers:

The color is "Madarin Orange."

The vents in the bumper are the intercooler exhaust outlets. The holes on top of the rear quarter panels are what feed the intercoolers.

It's very cool to be able to hear everyone's opinion! :M5thumbs:

#14 ·
Hey tristan :)

Yes i had been scowering the net frequently for any pics so the moment i saw them i had to post :)

I am with brian, i am not so keen on the intercooler outlets.

But overall i think this car is extremely good looking, really powerful. more so than the 996 i think,

Tristan is this based on the carrera S?

adam

#15 ·
Adam,

Thanks for the precious find, as always.

Actually, I like the rear more than the front. The front looks a little RX-8ish to me. Is Mandarin Orange RUF's 'color dr jur'? It is eye catching, but kind of extreme for my taste. This color is a bonefide CHP and rice/racer magnet. I still liked his yellow color best.

Unfortunately I don't read German, is this a twin turbo?

Thanks.

CP

#16 ·
One of the main reasons I always found for loving Rufs is that they have just about always been the ultimate 'Q' car, i.e. a low key car that can kick the *** of just about anything else on the road, without joe public knowing what hit them.
This car from the pictures looks way too 'extreme' imho. It is very 'rice' looking, and simply does not seem to represent the Ruf philosophy; i.e understated performance.
It could almost pass for a Techart or Gemballa on first look; not what I'd expect from Ruf at all.
Lastly I really hate the intercooler air inlet design; it just looks bizarre and almost too 'kit car'; it would look better with 996 TT type air inlets on the flanks.

#20 ·
I really like the rear bumper treatment with the vents. At first I wasn't sure about the front air dam but the more I look, the more I like. :thumbsup:

#21 ·
Wow! I am impressed by the looks of a 997 for the first time, and it also sounds like it will perform accordingly. I guess it will either be this car or a 997 Turbo (perhaps with a Ruf engine) that will be my next performance car purchase.

#22 ·
I think this is the widebody car, i would get the narrowbody one,

in red...

What is everyones thoughts on the alloy sizes? 19 and 20?

all the best
adam

#24 ·
My thoughts on the larger wheels are that it will give you better traction at the cost of higher unsprung weight. Acceleration and ride will suffer some, but it sounds like acceleration is not really a problem with the 650hp/870Nm engine! Gearingwise I am sure Ruf has sorted out the total gearing to match the larger wheels. Looks wise I have to admit that I like the larger wheels. As for the rest of the bodykit, I am having second thoughts on whether it is too agressive. The 997 Turbo might look better than this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.